A Glimmer of Hope, the Bills Still not committed to keeping Fitz on th

BuffBill

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they save 7m of cap space next year by cutting him now, and 10m in real cash.

we are out 10m of space either way, sunk cost.

is keeping him this year worth 7m in cap space and 10m in real cash?

Exactly right. The fitz propagandists keep pointing to the $450k cap benefit this year as not enough to cut him, while ignoring the massive benefit next year.

And no its not worth it. Thinking its impossible to find a replacement qb to deliver a 6 win season is bizarre, to say the least.

im not sure why its even assumed jackson will do worse.

jackson may even do better for all we know. maybe a little worse..... id be surprised if it was crushingly worse though.

No reason at all to think he'd be worse. Their record as starters strongly suggests tj will be better. He's an even .500 (17-17), whereas Fitz has nearly 2 losses for every win (23-41-1). That's basically what tj is: a .500 qb who will neither win you, nor lose you games. Definite upgrade to fitz though

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Exactly right. The fitz propagandists keep pointing to the $450k cap benefit this year as not enough to cut him, while ignoring the massive benefit next year.

And no its not worth it. Thinking its impossible to find a replacement qb to deliver a 6 win season is bizarre, to say the least.

Exactly...

We are trying to replace the QB who Ranked 27th in Total QB Rating last season, and lead the entire NFL in turnovers (INT's plus fumbles lost) over the past three years combined...How in the world can anyone think it's going to be that tough to do better than Fitz? Better is not necessarily that good... B-)

Exactly...

We are trying to replace the QB who Ranked 27th in Total QB Rating last season, and lead the entire NFL in turnovers (INT's plus fumbles lost) over the past three years combined...How in the world can anyone think it's going to be that tough to do better than Fitz? Better is not necessarily that good... B-)

there are definitely guys that are worse, and get pulled too fast to qualify for the awful stats he ranks highly in.... but we have our floor established. it wont be worse than jackson. i think jackson is a comfortable peer to fitz as far as what id expect. if we keep fitz, so be it.... but i dont get the panic over losing him that some people show.

What's the point of keeping Fitz, much less at his current salary? Just in case Jackson or a rookie struggle and they lose games? As if Fitz and winning 37% of his starts is a better option?

How the heck are we ever going to beat KC and Cleveland without Fitz??? DOOMED

yeah we gain no cap space by cutting him. Sure we don't pay him out of pocket, but if you would of taken the time to take your own advice and read my post I explained it pretty well.

but please keep knocking your skull against that brick wall.. Your brain might actually start functioning. I laugh at the idiocy of people on message boards. Quick with the insults zero comprehension

My comment wasn't strictly aimed at your post.....there were a bunch of others in the preceding hour(all threads) that had me thinking it.

It applied (and still applies) to you, as you said "there is no reason to cut him", directly after a bunch of posts had shown legitimate reasons for doing so.

You didn't address those reasons nor even acknowledge their existence.

well i dint read the post or antyhing in it like usual.

i have a comment everyone should pay attention to.

But i forgot it now.

Fitz. You are going to restructure this year or we breaka your thumbs. simple. Unnerstand college boy ?

good.

Next

For those that have looked hard at Tjack , you might think he "could be an upgrade " in the a better environment. Such as a decent O line like ours.

next

But the future lies in the draftees.

A gentleman suggested we painted ourselves in a corner and that is well put indeed.

FO all knows it too, thank gosh.

I think we have hope OP.

ps i did read the whole thing of course

your nowhere until you can stop the other team, you can't try to "outscore" the opponent 52-48 every week

Ugh. As someone mentioned earlier, you can draft a QB and still work on the defense, no?

And you are nowhere if the defense doesn't believe in the QB.

It's much easier to find decent linebackers, than a QB that can lead his team to the playoffs. There are good free agent defenders available, but no good FA QB's. What else do you need to know? Do you need to be told that QB is the most important position on the team?

This cut Fitz stuff is getting real old.... It makes no sense to cut him with the cap numbers and we all know it.... The last couple of years he has been a 15- 20th QB in the league on a crap team with bad coaching and a poor WR corps leave the guy alone until a better option is available. No one has any faith in any of the QBs in the draft, and no free agents that are an improvement will be available.

It makes no sense to keep him either! Have you read Metzelaars comments?

your nowhere until you can stop the other team, you can't try to "outscore" the opponent 52-48 every week

Your scenario would assume, if Fitz were still QB:

A. That Fitz can lead a team to 52 points against anyone, and

B. Fitz didn't blow a 4th quarter lead, or

C. He engineered a 4th quarter come back.

All three situations are implausible if not laughable.

Have YOU thought about what the logical path forwatd is if fitz gets cut prior to march 3rd? Jax is your qb... period. He's worse than if fitz were playing with a patch on one eye and his right hand pinned to his waist. If I'm an agent, I'm ringin the bills phone til it burns up... cuz I got a starting qb in my free agent stable that I'll let you rent for a year or two. I got leinart, hoyer, quinn, grossman (yeah, a superbowl qb), tebow, moore, mccown, gradkowski, painter. You mame him, i got him in my free agent junk yard. He'll cost 50% more than he'd sign for a yeam that has a stable of somewhat competent qbs... but that's only cuz you got s#it at qb and i know he's only gonna be there a year cuz you are drafting a qb in april for 2014... and heck your draftee may start at some point in 2013. So... a rex grossman or matt leinart are gonna cost ya $4m/yr. Guaranteed. Oh, sorry... these guys gotta get paid for starting. It aint my problem you cut fitz knowing your cap hit was 10m if you kept him or 10m if you cut him. So , it aint my problem you have to tack an extra 4m to your cap to pay for my rent a qb. And it aint my problem that with jax on board you are carrying a salary of $16m on the cap for qbs... not counting your rookie qb... oh, and speaking of which, every team in the league knows you got s#it at qb with no fitz zn just jax and rental... so you better grab your qb at #8 cuz if you don't, teams are gonna be jumping in front of you in the next 2 rounds to grab their qb knowing you want to draft one if you haven't taken him on rd 1. Good luck drafting your franchise guy in round 4. But... look on the bright side... he won't count much against the cap. Checkmate!!!

You seriously overvalue the importance of having fitz on this team. That is certain. The checkmate comment was great btw. It made your entire post that much better. I'm not going to try and persuade you to feel as I do. Agree to disagree. Qcity and NoSaint summed it up well. I say what they said.

You seriously overvalue the importance of having fitz on this team. That is certain. The checkmate comment was great btw. It made your entire post that much better. I'm not going to try and persuade you to feel as I do. Agree to disagree. Qcity and NoSaint summed it up well. I say what they said.

Overvalue? Not. I'm totally in agreement that Fitz sucks. That's totally irrelivant because right now the Bills don't have a better option. It is what it is. Much like Rob Johnson & Dick Jauron, Ralph got a "woody" over Fitz when he went on that string of wins and wanted to lock him up.

Bottom line... Fitz will be on the Bills roster come March 4. Don't forget to stop back and show Dr. T the love for his foresight.

Overvalue? Not. I'm totally in agreement that Fitz sucks. That's totally irrelivant because right now the Bills don't have a better option. It is what it is. Much like Rob Johnson & Dick Jauron, Ralph got a "woody" over Fitz when he went on that string of wins and wanted to lock him up.

Bottom line... Fitz will be on the Bills roster come March 4. Don't forget to stop back and show Dr. T the love for his foresight.

I don't think you are understanding the other side of the argument. Keeping Fitz for this year, seriously effects cap space next year AND this year. Which would limit where the Bills can spend money(on the QB position and other areas). Why keep someone for a 17 million cap hit over 2 years if at this point there "is no better option"? Maybe there are equal options, that wouldn't effect cap space down the line? TJax is certainly could be equal to Fitz. Hell even a rookie could be equal to Fitz. Equal being 6 win seasons....

Edited by Wayne Cubed