30-39 - 5-6

40-49 - 4-5

50 + - 2-2

Senior - 1st Team All-American

20-29 - 5-5

30-39 - 4-4

40-49 - 6-8

50 + - 5-6

Several of those 50 yarders won games in the final moments. Plus he consistently drives the ball into the end zone on kickoffs, unlike squibber Lindell. Think valuable field position.

8 for 9 over 50 yards. My God. Total - 62-70 = 88.5%

Kickers can decide several games a season. Is he worth a 2nd round pick ?

You bet.

Lindell is 4-12 at 40+ yards over the past two years. He is a clutch kicker. As in clutch him around the neck and squeeze tightly.

I doubt it happens, but Nugent would be a valuable pick in round two.

17-19 as a Jr and that got him second team AA. Not bad at all.

If we don't acquire more draft picks, then don't expect to see him drafted by us.  The mock drafts have him going late 2nd- early 3rd round.  You guys are getting your hopes up for nothing.

196912[/snapback]

I thought Mark's point was that he is worth our (late) second round pick. :blink:

Lindell is 4-12 at 40+ yards over the past two years.  He is a clutch kicker.  As in clutch him around the neck and squeeze tightly.

196925[/snapback]

:blink::blink::w00t:

I'll jump on board, Nugent in the 2nd round if he's still there. :D

The other good thing about getting a K would be that there should be a minimal "adjustement period". QBs always talk about how much faster the game is, RBs talk about bigger hits, WRs same... but a K, everything (except for the mental aspect of being in an NFL game) should be the same as in college.

You can kick it 55 yards in college, should be able to in NFL.

Oh, and I saw him kick a 54 yarder (i think it was 54), it would have been good from 60, seriously.

The other good thing about getting a K would be that there should be a minimal "adjustement period". QBs always talk about how much faster the game is, RBs talk about bigger hits, WRs same... but a K, everything (except for the mental aspect of being in an NFL game) should be the same as in college.

You can kick it 55 yards in college, should be able to in NFL.

Oh, and I saw him kick a 54 yarder (i think it was 54), it would have been good from 60, seriously.

196962[/snapback]

Isn't it easier for them to kick in the pros because of the hash marks? Seriously, I've never really read anything on it.

All this talk about picking Nugent in the 2nd or 3rd. Wasn't Janakowski(sp?) picked in the 1st?

How do the 2 compare?

I don't follow college ball but aren't the goal posts wider? So FG kicking in college is easier than in the pros.

Also, anyone know about tee restrictions &/or ball condition in college as it relates to KO distance? Hitting it into the endzone using a 3" Boomer is a heck of a lot easier than using one of those 1" cups they use in the NFL.

The thing about college kickers is they're always kicking from a tee. They don't usually have too tough of an adjustment to make kicking from an artificial surface. Where they have the problem is kicking on a grass surface. So, before you draft a kicker higher than Round 3, you better damn well do your homework and work him out real good... cuz once you draft him in round 1 or 2, you're gonna own that superstar or bust for a few years.

There's no question in my mind that Lindell is a journeyman/fill in type kicker at best and has to get cut. How he gets a regular gig on any NFL team, let alone the fat contract he has, is a mystery. If the bills do cut him however, I don't think it will be before June 1... and he may even go to camp... but I seriously doubt he'll be with the team on opening day next season.

Isn't it easier for them to kick in the pros because of the hash marks? Seriously, I've never really read anything on it.

That's a good point that I hadn't really thought about. You certainly notice it when they attempt short FGs from the side. (I don't watch much college ball.) I would think that it would therefore come into play on as much as 2/3s of the short kicks (Teams probably make more of an effort to setup a kick from the middle than in pros.) and result in less accuracy, which is probably offset by what I believe are wider goalposts. From a long way out, I'd think it's only Pythagreus(sp?) that causes the problem (i.e. it might add another yard or so to the distance of the kick.)

You also have to put into account that the NFL ball itself is different than the one used in colleges. . .plus, while Nugent did kick at a college somewhat near the WNY area, kicking in Ralph Wilson Stadium is something totally different and a kicker needs to master the art of doing so in that place. So there may be some learning curve for him in the beginning. . .

However, getting him in the 2nd round would not be a horrible idea because this guy is solid. I don't think Tom Donahoe would ever do it, but you never know -- someone start a petition.