Screw the Defense

Haplo848

People say this like it's an inviolable oath. It's also not true. Offenses have been winning the playoffs and Super Bowls in recent years. In the Giants/Patriots Super Bowl last year, the Giants had the better defense. They were 22nd in the league. The Pats were 30th. Meanwhile, the Pats were 3rd in offense, the Giants 9th. Going back to '91, the Super Bowl winning team had a better offensive rank than defensive 15 times, while defensive rank was better only 6 times (in '96, Denver was first in the league in both O and D). The other team that got to the Super Bowl had a better offensive ranking than defensive 18 times, and better on defense only 3 times (again 1 tie. Philly was 8th on offense and defense in 2004). You can look it up for yourself: http://www.nfl.com/features/freakonomics/episode-15

In summary, defense DOES NOT win championships. Offenses do.

You clearly didn't pay attention that year cuz if I remember correctly, yes patriots were horrible in defense but made the playoffs cuz they won the division but in the playoffs their defense stepped up big time... They didn't win it all but it was their D that got them to the superbowl...

Don't think we need to take a QB early I would in philosophy take a WR as I think its our most glaring need. Its just is there really an impact player worth taking at that point? Are there much better options in round 2? If the draft has a lot of good defensive players at the top why shouldn't we go after one 8th overall?

I also hope the team targets WR in free agency. Its hard to see use not going defense 1st round and QB 2nd round. We really need to resign Levitre and Byrd and add in some weapons on offense.

Agreed. WR is a glaring need. TE also, especially with Chandler injured. This team needs receiving threats. The only one we have is Stevie and that just ain't enough. I'd like a proven veteran receiver too.

Actually, I like the idea of taking WR-QB-TE. Right now, those players would be

WR Cordarrelle Patterson,

QB Glennon/Wilson (Barkley gone on my board, too early for Nassib)

TE Kyle Juszczyk

One other way to play it would be to go in a different order:

TE Zach Ertz (Jr.)

WR Terrance Williams

QB Bray, Jones

The last combination:

QB Matt Barkley, Geno Smith

TE Tyler Eifert or if he's gone, Travis Kelce

WR Markus Wheaton, Quinton Patton, Ace Sanders

Which do you like?

How about this:

Eric Fisher

Mike Glennon

Quinton Patton

Or

Trade down to 22 with Rams and pick up another 2nd and 3rd then:

Lane Johnson

Mike Glennon

Khaseem Greene/Arthur Brown,Jr

Quinton Patton

Chase Thomas

Hopefully the Rams covet someone that they would want to move up to 8. Wishful thinking.

I truly hope the Bills draft Glennon and reunite him with TJ Graham. Then we will be able to see Graham's value.

Best player available this year please. No reaching for a QB. In the 2nd round there will several QBs available. Jarvis Jones OLB, Dion Jordan DE/OLB, Cordarrelle Patterson WR or Chance Carmack OG would be a great addition to the Bills. Bray, Wilson or Glennon will be good choices in the 2nd. Best scenario is trading to the 20-25 position, pick up draft picks. Free agenct signings will indicate where the Bills will go in the mid rounds. The Bills have to get 2 or 3 difference makers and 3 solid contributers.

Best player available this year please. No reaching for a QB. In the 2nd round there will several QBs available. Jarvis Jones OLB, Dion Jordan DE/OLB, Cordarrelle Patterson WR or Chance Carmack OG would be a great addition to the Bills. Bray, Wilson or Glennon will be good choices in the 2nd. Best scenario is trading to the 20-25 position, pick up draft picks. Free agenct signings will indicate where the Bills will go in the mid rounds. The Bills have to get 2 or 3 difference makers and 3 solid contributers.

Agree with your general idea, but 2-3 difference makers and 3 solid contributors out of 6 draft choices would be a draft for the ages, unless you count good special teams players as "solid contributors" - even then it would be a GREAT draft.

Regarding FA, I think the Bills main priority should be re-signing Byrd and Levitre with McKelvin a consideration as well. It seems unlikely that they'll be able to keep both Byrd and Levitre, so one of those holes needs to be addressed during the draft, too.

Personally, I'm more a fan of getting a weapon for our new QB in the first round, like a WR, then taking a QB in the second. Build around the offense. I want to put my new QB in a position to succeed, not turn him into a bust with bad habits from being on his back all the time or not having any open targets. Throw a TE in there in the 3rd round if there's one worth it. Once I've taken care of my QB, then focus on the defense. With better coaching, and playcalling that ISN'T completely predictable, it will be better than last year as is. Add a few new LBs and it will improve by leaps and bounds

i think if we get a QB it will have to work out that we get one late in the first or early in the second.

I am happy to get a receiver but we know those guys can take a couple years to ramp up so align that with the rookie qb. and a TE. i wouldnt mind 2 WR in draft.

BUT we really really need linebackers with the release of Barnett, Bills must have something serious in mind for the future. Maybe a 1st rounder?

For the All offense draft, assuming you're setting the table for your QB to step in next year, I go this route:

Rd 1: Trade down to 15-18 for whatever you can get, even if it's just a 4th

Rd1: DJ Fluker - This guy's a monster. Now we have bookend tackles that can protect the QB and knock down defenders to break Spiller open for big runs AND drive defenders back for short yardage runs.

Rd2: Terrance Williams - Get a true #1 Receiver who can stretch the field and pick up crucial first downs on slants and curls

Rd3: P. Escobar/Kelce - TEs are gaining value in the new NFL. Now we can run 2 TE receiver sets, and have insurance if Chandler gets hurt.

Rd 4 (1) - Ryan Swope - Big strong possession receiver who can punish the D for focusing on Spiller, SJ, & T Williams.

Rd 4 (2) - M Lattimore - Supposing he lasts this long he'd be great value. We need 2 starting RBs & FJ, while still great, is getting old and probably only has 1-2 years of good football left. We could IR him for a year and let him take over FJ's role in 2014 (Maybe still keep Fred as the #3). It's rare you can get 1st round talent in the 4th.

Rd 5 - L Pryor (FB) - I'm really high on this guy. McIntyre's getting up in age and may not be back. With a RB like Spiller you want a lead blocker with some speed to get out quickly so Spiller doesn't have to slow down and wait for him. Pryor is that guy. He can also carry the ball on occassion giving us the big bodied power back who can pick up a 3rd and 1 that we've sorely missed ever since McGahee left town.

Rd 6 - D Hopkins (K) - Lindell's been great but he's getting old and doesn't have the pop in his foot to consistently kick from 50+. Nobody cares about the kicker until you need a game winning kick. Hopkins is the consensus top kicker in the draft and may not be available this late, but if he is you gotta take him.