Pro Action vs Reaction

T master

You might want to look up the definition of proactive.

I looked up Proaction b/c that is what i believe my post is about & with the splitting up of the word into to sections Pro Action i meant it to be Pro for professional football & action. So yes i did you may want to look up proaction. i'm just saying but thanks anyway !! Appreciate ya ...

That was not my intent at all. I know just how hard it is to find a "great QB" inside the first 36 picks.....and the odds are not good.

The odds outside of that however are extraordinarily bad. They are so bad that they should discount any thought of using them in one's plan to try to obtain said "great QB".

If you are interested.....and I've linked this so many times that I am starting to feel like I am pimping my own thread....but....here is some research I did regarding the success rate of QBs drafted showing the percentage chance breakdowns over a 20 year period.

http://forums.twobil...b/#entry2712778

(Reading through the thread will further highlight certain factors/concepts).

You say in your thread that the odds of finding a good QB in the 2nd round are just about as good as finding a QB in the first round outside of the first 4 picks, right?

Do you want us to draft a QB in the first 2 rounds at all?

You say in your thread that the odds of finding a good QB in the 2nd round are just about as good as finding a QB in the first round outside of the first 4 picks, right?

Do you want us to draft a QB in the first 2 rounds at all?

No....further in the thread it was rightly pointed out that there was a better number breakdown in regards to late 1st round/early 2nd round.....so I re-did the numbers.

At that point I chose the #33 pick(due to Brett Favre).....and I now say "top 36" in order to avoid arguments on Dalton & Kaepernick....both of which I personally believe it is too early in their careers to fully judge.

The numbers break down as follows:

R1 Pick 1-4

19 players selected

4 Stars 21% (1 in 4.8)

9 Starters 47% (1 in 2.1)

9 probowlers 47% (1 in 2.1)

R1 Picks 5-33

25 players selected

2 Stars 8% (1 in 12.5)

4 Starters 16% (1 in 6.3)

8 probowlers 32% (1 in 3.1)

Picks 34-end round 3

40 players selected

0 Stars

0 Starters

4 probowlers 10% (1 in 10)

In answer to your question....Hell Yes! I definitely want us to draft a QB in the first 36 picks. Though the odds are low, it is the only realistic chance of obtaining that much needed Star QB.....and the odds are massively higher than selecting later in the draft.

Edited by Dibs

Too tired....can't be bothered.

Riddle me this. Aside from Tom Brady(and Russell Wilson who is too early to fully rate)......name one QB who was selected past the #36 draft spot who can be considered a great QB?

Go back as many years as you want.

And your point? If you are saying that if in pure desperation you take obvious 3rd round talent with your top 10 1st round pick that it will magically turn that 3rd round talent into 1st round talent, I think you are definitely smoking some very bad weed.

Now if you are saying don't waste a 1st round pick on talent that is not actually 1st round talent, I agree totally.

We will all see after this weekend's Combine. If by looking not at any draft mocks, but at the ratings of players by overall skills and talent there is not a QB available listed in the top 36 players overall, then Buffalo should pass on selecting them with an early pick. Especially with a top 10 1st round pick.

Edited by simpleman

And your point? If you are saying that if in pure desperation you take obvious 3rd round talent with your top 10 1st round pick that it will magically turn that 3rd round talent into 1st round talent, I think you are definitely smoking some very bad weed.

Now if you are saying don't waste a 1st round pick on talent that is not actually 1st round talent, I agree totally.

We will all see after this weekend's Combine. If by looking not at any draft mocks, but at the ratings of players by overall skills and talent and there is not a QB available listed in the top 36 players overall, then Buffalo should pass on selecting them with an early pick. Especially with a top 10 1st round pick.

I agree with your assessment, though things are not equal and supply/demand is always a factor. QBs who are graded lower go higher etc....but yeah, basically if there isn't a legitimate 1st round graded QB(or high 2nd round) you go with a different position.

My initial comment was directed at the OP's statement of....

"We can pick up a QB to develop in the later rounds like Nassib, Bray. I don't think there will be a huge run on QB's this year in the early rounds, if they had learned anything at all from last year there will be some good prospects left in the later rounds !!"

Edited by Dibs