Metzalaars Trashes Fitz

Coach Tuesday

What's your suggestion? Outside the draft, and even than is tenuous with this years QB class, there are no upgrades available and that includes Alex Smith.

:lol::worthy:

Give T Jax the job, let him flounder and play for a high pick next year. Trade some picks this year to get more next year to be able to move into position to take a top talent. Sometimes you have to intentionally take a step back to make a leap forward.

For years this 'We don't lose no matter what esp. for draft position' has us right where we are now.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't sound like an Ax to grind, it sounds like a guy with Superbowl exp both as a player and a coach (Colts) and has played with a HOF QB telling it as it is. Fitz flat sucks, he is not the answer.

I think you missed the cause for his ax grinding--it wasn't Fitz, it was the fact that he didn't get the callback he thought he deserved, so he grinded an ax--aka shared his unfiltered unsolicited opinion about Fitz.

EDIT: unsolicited seemed loaded in hindsight

Edited by taC giB ehT

http://blogs.buffalo...itzpatrick.html

Here is my real question - putting aside whether you think Fitz is salvagable or not, how on earth are they going to sell any season tickets if he is the starting QB heading into the season? It boggles my mind from a marketing perspective.

Bills have been averaging 50,000 season tix sales over the past decade with a piss poor product. Russ has no problem getting to 50K with a s#it product. Free agency and the draft aint even started, so it's way too early for Russ' annual Koolaid revealing. But, once the batch of Koolaid is rolled out, trust me, the masses will be lining up for it. Mark that down. Russ will meet or exceed 50K once agian.

"Fitz is an average to below-average kind of guy, and unfortunately he made some bad decisions at the end of games and then didn't make plays at the ends of other games we had chances to win. So it's got to start there."

Interesting that he also says that he inquired about a job with Marrone's staff and no one even returned his calls. So OBD keeps Fitz around, and doesn't even return the phone calls of a decent coach who was also a solid contributor and warrior as a player. Classy stuff.

Here is my real question - putting aside whether you think Fitz is salvagable or not, how on earth are they going to sell any season tickets if he is the starting QB heading into the season? It boggles my mind from a marketing perspective.

Nix, once again, put this team in a terrible hole with that contract. He bowed to media pressure to re-sign the guy, and now they've got a bad contract that yields little benefit by cutting him.

Fitz's starting days are over, and it's that awful contract keeping him around. The other unique aspect is that prior to re-signing TJ, Fitz was the only QB signed for 2013. It's one thing to get 2 QB's, but not having any signed is leaving yourself wide open. You have to believe other teams would feed on that sort of thing.

Easy. New coaching staff top to bottom takes care of that.

Remember, Bills fans are looking for an excuse, ANY excuse, to renew their seasons. They don't need much of one and a new coaching staff is more than sufficient.

Fitz has issues. Nothing Metzellars said is any different then how the majority feel about Fitz.

I had hopes Fitz could improve enough to give us a chance at the post season, but a defense that somehow got worse and a QB that never improved killed us.

Bottom line is the BIlls must take a QB in this draft and semi-early to groom. They must also be very willing to do it again in 2014 and hope they have a QB on the roster that will warrant the eventual release of Fitz

My fear is that we draft a QB this year, and then are unwilling to do so next year (just like we were unwilling to draft one before this year apparently).

Bills have been averaging 50,000 season tix sales over the past decade with a piss poor product. Russ has no problem getting to 50K with a s#it product. Free agency and the draft aint even started, so it's way too early for Russ' annual Koolaid revealing. But, once the batch of Koolaid is rolled out, trust me, the masses will be lining up for it. Mark that down. Russ will meet or exceed 50K once agian.

Not koolaid, just the best fans in the NFL.

Nix, once again, put this team in a terrible hole with that contract. He bowed to media pressure to re-sign the guy, and now they've got a bad contract that yields little benefit by cutting him.

Fitz's starting days are over, and it's that awful contract keeping him around. The other unique aspect is that prior to re-signing TJ, Fitz was the only QB signed for 2013. It's one thing to get 2 QB's, but not having any signed is leaving yourself wide open. You have to believe other teams would feed on that sort of thing.

all he has to do is cut him its a one year cap hit and move on the contract has little bearing on the teams future

I don't have everyone's Fitz-stance cataloged, so if this doesn't apply to you, feel free to ignore.

But yours is an easy statement to make when Metz's words serve to further the same Fitz-narrative you've championed all along.

It's not just about a championed opinion...It's about what many of us have seen with our own two eyes...Having the opinion that the QB with the most turnovers in the NFL over the past three years is simply not good enough should not need to be championed...it should be obvious to any Bills fan he's not good enough...No matter who expresses that opinion...

To me it's an easy assessment that Metz is simply telling the truth...I've met Metz and talked to him at length on two occasions in Charlotte NC...I don't see him as being the ax-grinding-type of guy whatsoever...I've also watched the turnover-machine known as Ryan Fitzpatrick for three years...I really don't understand why anyone who has watched the Bills over the past three years would think these comments are anything more than (maybe) an overly-honest-obviously-correct opinion... B-)

The goal of 1 Bills Drive seems to be to have an exciting product on the field but never investing in the 2 or 3 players in the super bowl years or the handsful in the lean years to put the team over

My fear is that we draft a QB this year, and then are unwilling to do so next year (just like we were unwilling to draft one before this year apparently).

Not koolaid, just the best fans in the NFL.

+ 1 BINGO

I would seriously be drafting the best available QB in 2nd or 3rd round for the next couple years.

Backup/development/get lucky/trade bait?

"Fitz is an average to below-average kind of guy, and unfortunately he made some bad decisions at the end of games and then didn't make plays at the ends of other games we had chances to win. So it's got to start there."

It's astonishing that the Bills (or any other team) couldn't use a guy with such uncommon football insight.

To me it's an easy assessment that Metz is simply telling the truth...I've met Metz and talked to him at length on two occasions in Charlotte NC...I don't see him as being the ax-grinding-type of guy whatsoever...I've also watched the turnover-machine known as Ryan Fitzpatrick for three years...I really don't understand why anyone who has watched the Bills over the past three years would think these comments are anything more than (maybe) an overly-honest-obviously-correct opinion... B-)

I find it refreshing and interesting to have a position coach like that say what everyone else already knows: except Buddy and Chan anyhow.

FWIW, I don't really consider his comments trashing Fitz, just being painfully honest. IMO.

He's got no reason to hold back, and I don't really see anybody standing up rebutting him either. :huh:

I find it refreshing and interesting to have a position coach like that say what everyone else already knows: except Buddy and Chan anyhow.

FWIW, I don't really consider his comments trashing Fitz, just being painfully honest. IMO.

He's got no reason to hold back, and I don't really see anybody standing up rebutting him either. :huh:

I think you're too quick to assume Fitz is Buddy's guy.

I think it's becoming clearer that Fitz was Chan's guy, and that's mostly why he was let go. This will obviously play out as the offseason progresses, but I have my doubts that Buddy's as committed to Fitz as some would insinuate.

EDIT: "Buddy's guy" LOLZ

Edited by taC giB ehT