David Frum Opinion Piece on CNN.com

Dean Cain

"A fourteen year-old girl jumped out of the closet and shouted 'Boo' when her parents came home in the middle of the night. Taking her for an intruder, her father shot and killed her. Her last words were 'I love you, Daddy.' "

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/18/opinion/frum-obama-plan-b-on-guns/index.html?c=politics&page=2

Good article by former Bush adviser who coined the term "axis of evil", but I still am not giving up my guns.

http://www.hyscience.com/archives/2006/01/entire_family_f.php

This is a story of a family with two little girls. All 4 were killed in their home in a nice suburban neighborhood. They took the little girls, who were 4 and 9, and cut their little throats, and watched them die. If their father had a gun handy they'd still be here today.

How about you muster up some of that sarcasm for them, ass hole.

And BTW, your article sucked ass.

http://www.hyscience...re_family_f.php

This is a story of a family with two little girls. All 4 were killed in their home in a nice suburban neighborhood. They took the little girls, who were 4 and 9, and cut their little throats, and watched them die. If their father had a gun handy they'd still be here today.

How about you muster up some of that sarcasm for them, ass hole.

And BTW, your article sucked ass.

What a (*^*&%^$^#he is. The internet really brings out the worst in these !@#$s.

Good article by former Bush adviser who coined the term "axis of evil", but I still am not giving up my guns.

Disjointed, simplistic article.

Sad use of a 1994 shooting incident, and then claims that there are little to no legitimate home defense stories.

I suggest you use your "search" function a little better as there have been multiple examples in the past few weeks alone.

David Frum on Guns

By Robert VerBruggen

He would like the surgeon general to release a “scientific study” warning against private gun ownership. The column is maddening, echoing the president’s ridiculous belief that a federal report — from a “public health” perspective, of course — will somehow end the debate about guns.

Frum throws around accusations of “bad social science” when it comes to defensive-gun-use statistics, and indeed surveys come up with a wide range of numbers — but he provides no estimate of his own, instead offering a series of anecdotes about gun accidents as though that will help people rationally decide whether to own a gun. The fact is that gun accidents are statistically very rare — and even this information isn’t all that helpful without an estimate of armed self-defense to compare it with. Having the surgeon general pick her favorite estimate won’t change the fact that other credible estimates exist.

He cites research finding that “guns are used far more often in the home to intimidate and frighten intimates than to protect against intruders.” Left unsaid is who, exactly, is doing the intimidating: Do they have a history of domestic violence? Research that lumps together all “gun owners,” including those who own guns illegally, is not particularly helpful to a law-abiding citizen trying to decide whether to arm himself. (Interestingly, the tiny phone survey the claim comes from, conducted in 1996, found 13 instances of gun intimidation, two defensive gun uses — and 24 incidents in which people defended themselves with weapons besides guns. Perhaps these folks might have benefited from having a gun around?)

Critique continues at link.........................

This guy is incredibly ignorant...

"So many gun accidents occur because guns almost never indicate whether a bullet is present in the chamber. A gun owner might remove the gun's magazine and believe the gun unloaded, when in fact it still contains one potentially deadly shot. Why not require guns to be equipped with indicator lights? Why not require that guns be designed so that they will not fire if dropped?"

Almost all pistols have a loaded chamber indicator or port that allows you to view the cartridge in the chamber. Unless your gun is very old, there is a safety feature that makes it virtually impossible to fire if dropped. Even revolvers that are cocked and dropped have transfer bar safeties that prevent firing unless the trigger is fully depressed.

"They ignore new technology that would render guns inoperable by anyone except their approved purchaser."

I am assuming this implies the finger print reader or something of that nature. I wonder how confident the author would be with this technology if it was applied to his steering wheel. Your brakes and steering only work if the reader confirms your identity and you maintain contact at all times. Would you trust your life to this form of technology. There is a reason people prefer less mechanical and electronic crap on their fireamrms. More to go wrong. The gun safes that read your fingerprint are notoriously unreliable and always have a backup system to access the safe.

"They stamp serial numbers in places where they can be effaced."

Where exactly would you stamp a serial number that can be read by the gun seller, police, county clerk, etc, but cannot be affaced by a criminal?

Disjointed, simplistic article.

Sad use of a 1994 shooting incident, and then claims that there are little to no legitimate home defense stories.

I suggest you use your "search" function a little better as there have been multiple examples in the past few weeks alone.

They are more difficult to find, that's for sure, but the reason for that is "if it bleeds, it leads", and stories where noone bleeds because they are able to deter an intruder with a firearm don't make the news, although they are far more common.

But that is precisely the kind of readership he is after...the ignorant, because you either know what he's saying is stupid, or you don't. There are just enough JT6Ps out there to believe what Frum writes as though Sandy Hook happened because someone accidentally dropped a gun. Or that almost 500 people were gunned down in Chicago alone last year because people simply forgot they had an extra round in the chamber.

Fortunately for Frum, he'll get a lot of HuffPost shoutouts and twitter followers because the ignorant need an ignorant leader.

"So many gun accidents occur because guns almost never indicate whether a bullet is present in the chamber. A gun owner might remove the gun's magazine and believe the gun unloaded, when in fact it still contains one potentially deadly shot. Why not require guns to be equipped with indicator lights? Why not require that guns be designed so that they will not fire if dropped?"

Guns fire when they're dropped?

I've said it before, although likely not in this forum: I am amazed that David Frum can breathe with his head that far up his a$$.

Almost all pistols have a loaded chamber indicator or port that allows you to view the cartridge in the chamber. Unless your gun is very old, there is a safety feature that makes it virtually impossible to fire if dropped. Even revolvers that are cocked and dropped have transfer bar safeties that prevent firing unless the trigger is fully depressed.

"They ignore new technologythat would render guns inoperable by anyone except their approved purchaser."

I am assuming this implies the finger print reader or something of that nature. I wonder how confident the author would be with this technology if it was applied to his steering wheel. Your brakes and steering only work if the reader confirms your identity and you maintain contact at all times. Would you trust your life to this form of technology. There is a reason people prefer less mechanical and electronic crap on their fireamrms. More to go wrong. The gun safes that read your fingerprint are notoriously unreliable and always have a backup system to access the safe.

"They stamp serial numbers in places where they can be effaced."

Where exactly would you stamp a serial number that can be read by the gun seller, police, county clerk, etc, but cannot be affaced by a criminal?

Sounds like someone just watched Skyfall. :rolleyes: