Eagles will not use NFL franchise tag on DRC

Joaquin1119

NFL teams can officially place the franchise tag on impending free agents on Monday, but don't expect Chip Kelly and the Philadelphia Eagles to use it, according to Geoff Mosher.

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie was Philadelphia's only candidate for the franchise tag. If Rodgers-Cromartie is franchised by the Eagles, Philadelphia would pay him $10.7 million dollars for the 2013 season -- a cap figure that is simply too high.

Bleeding Green Nation: '

This doesn't mean DRC is gone'

Instead, Rodgers-Cromartie will be free to test the free agent market, where he figures to do quite well. SB Nation recently ranked Rodgers-Cromartie as the top cornerback on the free agent market, even ahead of Aqib Talib, who had a slight resurgence after being traded to New England.

Rodgers-Cromartie was drafted out of Tennessee State by the Arizona Cardinals with the No. 16-overall pick in the 2008 NFL Draft. Rodgers-Cromartie was traded to Philadelphia prior to the 2011 season, along with a second-round draft pick, for quarterback Kevin Kolb.

Last year, the Eagles used the franchise tag on wide receiver DeSean Jackson before ultimately agreeing to a five-year contract months later.

http://www.sbnation....e-franchise-tag

Edited by Beerball
Edited title for clarity

This leads me to ask a serious question: How often does a marquis free agent play up to their contract? My sense is that it's less than 10%.

EDIT: "marquee" is the appropriate spelling here. Sorry.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

This leads me to ask a serious question: How often does a marquis free agent play up to their contract? My sense is that it's less than 10%.

PTR

Well there's a certain element of if he was a good value more than one team would pay it, but in most cases they go to the absolute highest bid.

Totally oversimplified, but like I said, elements of that

http://www.behindthe...s-2013-steelers

Approximate Franchise and Transition Tage Amounts by Position

CB: Franchise: $10.668 Transition: $8.939

DE: Franchise: $10.984 Transition: $8.994

DT: Franchise: $8.306 Transition: $6.919

K/P: Franchise: $2.926 Transition: $2.654

LB: Franchise: $9.455 Transition: $8.216

OL: Franchise: $9.660 Transition: $8.560

QB: Franchise: $14.642 Transition: $12.845

RB: Franchise: $8.079 Transition: $6.851

S: Franchise: $6.798 Transition: $5.899

TE: Franchise: $5.962 Transition: $5.105

WR: Franchise: $10.357 Transition: $8.716

*these amounts could change before the start of the free agency period March 12

tag will begin monday feb 18

Edited by independent

Hmmmmmm he might come expensive....but knowing pittines defense needs good corners to fully excell at the type of exotic blitzes he throws at ya....im thinking this would be a excellent pick up....i mean besides gilmore...what other cb can you trust on the bills roster to cover one on one......a williams...(ugh just threw up in my mouth a little bit).....:(

Too expensive and we have too many holes at LB going into FA. I would rather resign McKelvin to a mid-level contract if possible. Having DRC on the market is one more player for McKelvin to compete against for a contract. That is good for us.

I am hopeful Brooks continues to develop. I am mostly convinced A. Williams is a bust at CB but who truly knows with Wanny's bland schemes. I am actually very upbeat to see what our secondary does with a more aggressive front seven.

Every time I see the names of DRC, Mike Jenkins, Aqib Talib, and Antoine Cason, all I can do is shake my head and remember how the Bills picked Leodis McKelvin over all of them.

Thanks a lot, Dick and Marv.

unless youre speaking ebonics

No that would be pronounced Mar-keese

EDIT: "marquee" is the appropriate spelling here. Sorry.

PTR

Marquis is correct if he's a nobleman ranking above a count. And if a count is a purple puppet from Sesame Street, then he is indeed higher ranking.

Too expensive and we have too many holes at LB going into FA. I would rather resign McKelvin to a mid-level contract if possible. Having DRC on the market is one more player for McKelvin to compete against for a contract. That is good for us.

I am hopeful Brooks continues to develop. I am mostly convinced A. Williams is a bust at CB but who truly knows with Wanny's bland schemes. I am actually very upbeat to see what our secondary does with a more aggressive front seven.

I have to agree with you. as much as having two A game players at CB would be fun it's not viable now.

We are in a good position to develop youth. Let Mckelvin play the position as we get a better feel for Brooks.

Leodis can stay with any one. its just that little issue of tapping the ball away.

I would not be flipped if we draft that kid milliner at corner though at 8 , to play devils advocate.

I still think it's Marqis. As in the Marqis de Sade. Sounds important

I just dont see how pittines defense is gonna work without two ""solid corners"...gilmore is solid and hopefully he turns it up this year to another level...but after him...we have nothing but potential in brooks..and average to below average corners after him on the depth chart...hmmm kind of a tough situation for bills this offseason go for cb help in FA? Or hope that dee milliner drops to #8.....but then again I might cry if we draft another cb