IOC drops Wrestling from core list

Beerball

Well, among those sports, I'd guess wrestling stays on.

This is asinine. Yet they're going to hang on the Equestrian Dressage and Kayak Slalom events. Give me a break.

Don't forget racewalking, ping pong, and seventy two different types of swimming.

The most pure form of athletic competition has to prove itself worthy to be on the program of an event that it has been good enough to be a part of since the dawn of time. :bag:

As long as they didn't remove a true sport like rythmic Gymnastics (the one with the pretty twirling ribbon) or Equistrian events where the Horse is the true athlete..........

Do people really care that much about the olympics anymore? It just keeps becoming more and more commercial, for an event for "amateur" athletes (In certain sports that aren't huge ratings boost that sponsors will put more and more money into)

Do people really care that much about the olympics anymore? It just keeps becoming more and more commercial, for an event for "amateur" athletes (In certain sports that aren't huge ratings boost that sponsors will put more and more money into)

Yes. Because in a sport like wrestling, this is the pinnacle. This is our "NFL."

This is a sad day in sports.

Agreed. IOC is missing the forest for the tree. Perhaps golf will pull more ratings than wrestling, but they're inrementally changing the whole core of what the Olympics represents. To me, replacing the highlight events with a glorified scrimmage in a sport where the atheletes don't too much care about the Olympics cheapens the overall allure of the games.

Dan Wetzel has a good take on it:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympics--ioc-s-poor-decision-to-add-golf-costs-wrestling-its-spot-in-olympics-201325406.html

This story made me start thinking of the Olympics and how the US had performed in a truly American sport that has gone world-wide: basketball. I learned that basketball was a demonstration sport in the 1904 Olympics in St. Louis. This provided the stage for the 1906 AAU championship which was won by the Buffalo German YMCA over Missouri AC, 97-8. (How many points were they laying?)

I can't believe I had never heard that! I'm going to count that as a championship. I don't care.

Wiki page

In 1997, and 1998 I spent a lot of time in Iowa City at the Univ of Iowa wrestling. I met several Olympians, guys that drove beat up pick up trucks to come practice with us, guys that were legends then and now. When you are driving in to Iowa City the first time, look over and see Dan Gable next to you driving a 8 year old truck you remember it. When you have Tom Brands slap you upside the head (not all that playfully) for being a "putz" you remember it. For the training camps we would break down to groups. These folks do not get in front of the camera and have an audience of millions around the world. They do not get sponsorship deals and do not get their names plastered in papers and magazines. They are like many other Olympic athletes, folks that have normal lives, live next door to us, and yet compete with the best in the world.

Removing Wrestling from the Olympics is wrong, but the Olympics themselves are a bit pretentious now a days anyway.

In 1997, and 1998 I spent a lot of time in Iowa City at the Univ of Iowa wrestling. I met several Olympians, guys that drove beat up pick up trucks to come practice with us, guys that were legends then and now. When you are driving in to Iowa City the first time, look over and see Dan Gable next to you driving a 8 year old truck you remember it. When you have Tom Brands slap you upside the head (not all that playfully) for being a "putz" you remember it. For the training camps we would break down to groups. These folks do not get in front of the camera and have an audience of millions around the world. They do not get sponsorship deals and do not get their names plastered in papers and magazines. They are like many other Olympic athletes, folks that have normal lives, live next door to us, and yet compete with the best in the world.

Removing Wrestling from the Olympics is wrong, but the Olympics themselves are a bit pretentious now a days anyway.

Great post

Why not just move it to the winter Olympics.

I know the guidelines for winter Olympic sports is that they have to be played on snow or ice but seriously, having Curling as an Olympic sport but not Wrestling is just asinine.

Also, those of us who wrestled in high school and college already view it as a winter sport

This story made me start thinking of the Olympics and how the US had performed in a truly American sport that has gone world-wide: basketball. I learned that basketball was a demonstration sport in the 1904 Olympics in St. Louis. This provided the stage for the 1906 AAU championship which was won by the Buffalo German YMCA over Missouri AC, 97-8. (How many points were they laying?)

I can't believe I had never heard that! I'm going to count that as a championship. I don't care.

Wiki page

Amazing. That 97 point score must have been right after they started cutting the bottom off of the peach basket! No way a guy has to climb a ladder and get the ball out 50 times or so! :-P

fixed it for you :devil:

In 1997, and 1998 I spent a lot of time in Iowa City at the Univ of Iowa wrestling locker & shower room. I met several Olympians, guys that drove beat up pick up trucks to come practice with us, guys that were legends then and now. When you are driving in to Iowa City the first time, look over and see Dan Gable next to you driving a 8 year old truck you remember it. When you have Tom Brands slap you upside the head (not all that playfully) for being a "putz" you remember it. For the training camps we would break down to groups. These folks do not get in front of the camera and have an audience of millions around the world. They do not get sponsorship deals and do not get their names plastered in papers and magazines. They are like many other Olympic athletes, folks that have normal lives, live next door to us, and yet compete with the best in the world.