I think we should draft another QB

It's pretty easy......just have a QB competition in camp between JP and Bledsoe or JP and someone else that they bring in.  Losman isn't going to get much experience sitting on the bench another year, or at the least, given a shot at being the starter in 2005.

196712[/snapback]

JP could sit on the bench for the next 5 years and people would say he has no experience. lets bring in some one that is washed up and could not make it with the team he was with. :blink:

I personally would not waste a draftpick in this draft on a QB. We have other positions that can be upgraded/strengthened by getting backups in other positions.

We don't need a QB controversy by having 2 youngs QBs and if JP struggles some (which he might) then everyone will be wanting to bench Losman. Just remember back to Washington with Shuler/Ferotte days.

We need to trade Drew, get a journeyman backup and a 3rd QB for emergencies.

No way...  this is the weakest QB draft in years.  Not to mention Kyle Orton and Matt Leinart (if he comes out) will be long gone before we pick.  Brock Berlin and Chris Rix will both be NFL busts.  Jason White is as immobile as Bledsoe if not more.

196904[/snapback]

Only one problem...Leinart is probably staying in college and Kyle "Big Fumble" Orton is an absolutely terrible QB. This entire draft QB class is terrible for 1st and 2nd rounders, but we arent looking for a future starter, just a decent backup. Thankfully, what this year's college class lacks in future starting potential, it seems to make up for in decent backup quality QBs. TD was very smart to grab Losman last year, he must have taken a peek at this year's class and cringed.

I suppose I ought to entitle this post, "Why I'm not an NFL GM," but I think it'll speak for itself.  Here are my assumptions:

1) Bledsoe is done.  If you disagree with this, move on - you won't like the rest of what I say.

2) QB is the most important position on the team.  I know there is some hearty disagreement about this here - I think it's debatable, here are my reasons though:  your QB determines the relative value of the rest of your team.  For example, if your QB is immoble, your interior line becomes way more valuable, and if your guards/center get injured, you're toast.  If your QB can't stretch the field, you need some seriously good receivers and TEs who can create separation underneath.  If your QB can light it up against anyone, your D becomes less valuable, etc. etc.

3) QBs are a crapshoot.  JPL has about a 1 in 5 chance in really, really succeeding.

4) There are no vet QBs in this year's free agent market that we would realistically sign or that would be an upgrade over Drew.  Drew Brees ain't gonna sign here - why would he?  The Chargers can pay him more, and he's been successful there. 

Given 1-4 above, especially #2, I think if I were Donahoe I'd hedge my JPL bet by drafting yet another QB in this year's draft.  Mind you, not with my first pick, but certainly on the first day.  And, to further hedge my bet, I'd take someone who is somehwat different from Losman - someone who is known more for "intangibles," who was used to winning in college, who is tough, hard-nosed, wellspoken, a team leader, a tough warrior, etc.  Someone who is undervalued by the "experts" and should be around when the Bills pick in the 3rd round.  A Tom Brady type, who can at least push JPL to get his act together and memorize the playbook, and who can be dealt later on if he doesn't become The Guy.  Who, you ask, is that person?  Well, it should be obvious:

JASON CAMPBELL, QB, AUBURN.

Unorthodox, I know.  But it's too important a position to put all your chips in on one guy.  Just my opinion.  I'd draft a guard with the first pick, then Campbell with the next pick.  Campbell has all the intangibles - and I think he'll be a player in this league.  I also think taking him will send the right message to JPL.

I don't expect a single person here to agree with me... flame away.

196539[/snapback]

I agree.

:P