House of Cards

dayman

Netflix has an original series called "House of Cards." Kevin Spacey as majority whip....very good...unless you don't like tv I would suggest that if you frequent this board this would be very entertaining to you. It's a netflix original so they put it out just like they do everything else..a season a time. You could subscribe for 1 month for about 10 bucks and watch the whole season and then cancel. It would be worth it. Give it a shot if it sounds interesting.

I've been watching this, and have found it to be excellent. I'm especially impressed by the directing. Given that this is a first attempt at their own original content, I'm curious to see how this works within their business model going forward, and what kind of revenue it generates. If it's successful it could change the entire industry.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

I've been watching this, and have found it to be excellent. I'm especially impressed by the directing. Given that this is a first attempt at their own original content, I'm curious to see how this works within their business model going forward, and what kind of revenue it generates. If it's successful it could change the entire industry.

Agreed. Read an article saying they have a total of 4 original programming releases this year, and that amazon has ordered 11 pilots looking to start doing the same. It's going break down tv pretty quickly IMO and soon we'll be able to just buy what we want...excellent news.

Bottom line is netflix is affordable and gives us what we want, when we want it (provided they can get a license of course). I LOVE the way they just put the season out and don't bother making us wait, we can watch on our own terms. They actually provide content as if we are customers and not hostages. It's great.

Oh and ya I find it great as well. Watched one every night last week and watched a ton this weekend. 2 left probably finish by end of tonight...

Edited by SameOldBills

Netflix is great. I don't even subscribe to cable anymore. Between network TV and Netflix I'm set. And for $8/mo you can't beat it.

Dumped cable a couple of months ago. Go with roku only. And I made it through Super Bowl Sunday with zero football (ok, followed the first half online) just fine.

Netflix is great. I don't even subscribe to cable anymore. Between network TV and Netflix I'm set. And for $8/mo you can't beat it.

Dumped cable a couple of months ago. Go with roku only. And I made it through Super Bowl Sunday with zero football (ok, followed the first half online) just fine.

Yep. I go with an over-the-air antenna with crystal-clear HDTV picture and Netflix. I just get the sense that more and more people are finally getting tired of the restrictions and rigidity of cable/satellite.

Chef, in/around SF, you can pick up an inexpensive, small set-top antenna and get locals for news/weather, network broadcasts, etc.

As for HoC, I looked at the abstract other day and made a mental note to watch it when I get the time. Netflix also recently added "The West Wing" to their Instant line-up, and tho I'm not of the political stripe of the central characters, I loved the quality of that show, John Spencer and Bradley Whitford most of all. It was everything that teevee should aspire to be WRT writing, acting and production. Holding out hopes for HoC.

The series borrows on themes from a highly-regarded British series of the same name produced probably 25-30 years ago.

The Super Bowl is on over the air. Wasn't it CBS this year?

UConn: The funny thing about CBS in the ChicagoLand area, is that they always sent the signal east west and across the lake... Not the way the area expanded more north-south. So, being in the far south of the area, the signal sucks. Well this is what the electrician @ work told me who is also a ham operator. I always wondered how true that is. ?? Anyway, the nice thing about the new digital over the air is that you get a ton more stations and picture can be super OR the bad thing is that you lose it totally! @ work, turn the lights on in the lunchroom while ABC is on and you lose it totally. Microwave is right there too... LoL... Don't come in flip on the lights and nuke your Hot Pocket or popcorn @ break time during a game or you would get shot on sight! LoL!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm 6 episodes deep & so far this show is awesome. I've always been a big fan of Kevin Spacey (whatever his personal politics, the guy is one of the greatest actors of all time) and he absolutely nails it here. I find it funny that I cheer for the Dems, but if Democrats were like these guys I'd be a Democrat.

I'm 6 episodes deep & so far this show is awesome. I've always been a big fan of Kevin Spacey (whatever his personal politics, the guy is one of the greatest actors of all time) and he absolutely nails it here. I find it funny that I cheer for the Dems, but if Democrats were like these guys I'd be a Democrat.

Blasphemy

It's crazy. In this fictional reality the Democrats fight union bosses for reforms.

Nice...the only one recently taking on unions is Chris Christie...still having a tough time figuring him out. I'll watch this show though..sounds interesting.

Nice...the only one recently taking on unions is Chris Christie...still having a tough time figuring him out. I'll watch this show though..sounds interesting.

Don't forget the whupping Scott Walker gave them recently.

• 2 weeks later...

On a mildly related note, it appears that 0 down mortgage loans are back. Amazing that it hasn't even been a full five years since one of the largest melt downs in our history and here we are repeating some of the same crap that got us into this mess in the first place.

On a mildly related note, it appears that 0 down mortgage loans are back. Amazing that it hasn't even been a full five years since one of the largest melt downs in our history and here we are repeating some of the same crap that got us into this mess in the first place.

Who the !@#$ is Brian Dennehey?

Yeah, get the !@#$ out of here?

It's crazy. In this fictional reality the Democrats fight union bosses for reforms.

Spacey's character would fight anyone for a leg up the power structure in this series. He's awesome. While it is obvious that any scheming in real life quickly falls apart and politicians just start reacting (badly) it is nice to watch this and pretend that, having a system where politics is everything, someone could be good at it.