David Nelson Update?

1B4IDie

I think letting Jones walk was their way of saying that Nelson is their slot receiver. I'd be shocked if they didn't re-sign Nelson. He is a decidedly better football player than Donald Jones. The fact that he is coming off an ACL will make him more affordable too.

I do think letting go of jones signals that they do re-sign nelson..... but the way the front office is talking, they are really pushing for stevie to move into the slot and get a big body/ big playmaker for the outside. There are plenty of recievers in free agency (at least that is how it stands now). I think the bills can get an upgrade over Jones in free agency pretty easy at a decent price. If they are able to get a decent receiver on the outside and move stevie in the slot, then Nelson might not be a starter, if he is still on the team.

One other thing though, I wouldn't be surprised if they re-sign nelson and have him play a little tight end if chandler isn't ready early in the season. I don't think nelson is much of a blocker, but he would fit in as receiving TE.

I do think letting go of jones signals that they do re-sign nelson..... but the way the front office is talking, they are really pushing for stevie to move into the slot and get a big body/ big playmaker for the outside. There are plenty of recievers in free agency (at least that is how it stands now). I think the bills can get an upgrade over Jones in free agency pretty easy at a decent price. If they are able to get a decent receiver on the outside and move stevie in the slot, then Nelson might not be a starter, if he is still on the team.

One other thing though, I wouldn't be surprised if they re-sign nelson and have him play a little tight end if chandler isn't ready early in the season. I don't think nelson is much of a blocker, but he would fit in as receiving TE.

There is a 0.000000000000001% chance that Chandler will be ready for Week1.

Which is another reason to resign Nelson if he is ready since he can run those TE Seam routes very effectively.

Nelson had a half year to get his upper body jacked, and to be rebuilding his legs. The knock on Nelson was he's too skinny. There's no way he couldn't be able to put 10-15 pounds of pure muscle on his frame. This guy should come back strong. We should be looking to signing him to a 3 year deal around 2.0 million per year.

Nelson had a half year to get his upper body jacked, and to be rebuilding his legs. The knock on Nelson was he's too skinny. There's no way he couldn't be able to put 10-15 pounds of pure muscle on his frame. This guy should come back strong. We should be looking to signing him to a 3 year deal around 2.0 million per year.

As long as he can carry the weight.

You don't really want wide receivers to be bulky up top.

It changes the physics in a bad way.

He's not a backup, he's a #3 receiver and a good one at that. 61 catches, almost 700 yards, and 5 tds is very good for your # 3 receiver. He was a very big loss.

great, you start 2 WRs so the 3rd is your "back up" haha...yes I realize he plays in the slot when going 3 wide, so he is not truly a back up - and yes he had one decent year (in a year when we had to pass all the time because our defense was beyond horrible and Fred got hurt for the year)

you are correct, he is a decent number 3 (for US) - does not change the fact we need to sign/draft a true number 1/2 type WR and Nelson is a slot receiver/backup at best

I understand the man crushes people on have him, hes tall, hes athletic and an all around good dude....and maybe a different coaching staff thinks he could be a factor?? Be great to resign him and sign/draft others....our WRs have been average at best for a while (sans Stevie)

hes still nothing more than a back up WR

update complete

Are there really backup WR's in todays NFL? Nelson is not a a backup. TJ Graham could be a backup WR, but even that would be a stretch. The backup is the guy who only sees time when the starter goes down.