jboyst62: well worth repeating

Even I... YES I... Picked up on that doosy Harvey gave in 1978 to the youth farmers! Then it was Chrysler... WHO got bailed out! (yet, to their credit refinanced out from the US gov't) OH MY! Shameful is an understatement. But heck, who cares... Galvanized the truck buying crowd in Montana. Last year they got the left! Hey, if it works!

Yup. Throw in the right buzz words, use a Paul Harvey clip completely out of context, then commercialize the decay of the last slice of true American culture we have left in the name of the all mighty dollar. Monsantos got a huge laugh at that commercial and a bigger laugh over the audience going ga-ga over it.

Shameful.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's kinda funny though. Most Farmers that I know really either like Ford or Chevy, and a heartfelt commercial isn't gonna sway their opinion.

I don't know that there are enough farmer-loving non-farmers to make this commercial help out Dodge all that much.

Besides, what kind of farmer is gonna walk on a Chrysler/Dodge lot and buy the Ram 1500 that's sitting next to a Fiat?

yea the extra slurping noises were a bit much................disgust people into remembering your commercial? sorry godaddy i despise you and wouldn't spend a cent. it had the opposite than desired effect on me personally.

C'mon, you gotta admit he gave you a little tingle up your leg.

Damn, so there was. I fell asleep during that commercial so not surprised I missed the 1.0 out of 120 seconds they showed someone not white.

Did you also fall asleep at the :30 & 1:13 moments of this commercial too? When they showed a woman and a girl?

yea the extra slurping noises were a bit much................disgust people into remembering your commercial? sorry godaddy i despise you and wouldn't spend a cent. it had the opposite than desired effect on me personally.

That's exactly what I said to my wife. They're trying to either gross people out or create controversy for free publicity after the fact. The part that grated on me wasn't the visual but the auditory part. The sound drives me insane, just like listening to people smack their food. I'd kind of like to drill the director square in the mouth for making me hear that.

You have to work really hard to not like the Ram commercial. And really, really hard to find it racist.

It's not racist. That's ridiculous.

But all it takes is a brain to find fault in the commercial's motives.

The independent farmer is dying in this country. They're being crushed by giant corporations and a lobby that holds more sway than almost any other political player in DC. An end of era is coming, one of the last true pieces of American culture, the farmer, is being demolished in the name of corporate greed. The Monsantos of the world, with the assistance of an uneducated American public, are making billions from putting people just like the ones you saw in the ad out of work.

So rather than talk about that, let's spend $4 million dollars on a 60 second commercial that exploits that depressing reality in order to sell a truck for a company that's no friend of the independent farmer. It'd be like Mercedes Benz doing a commercial in honor of all the holocaust victims.

Shameful.

Ah... That is it! I was wondering what the link to Case Corporation was and Chrysler. Notice that there are Case tractors being used in the commercial.

From Wiki:

"In 1999, Case LLC merged with New Holland to form CNH Global, a Fiat Group division. The name Case lives on in two brands of the company: the Case CE (for Construction Equipment) brand is the third largest manufacturer of construction equipment, and the Case IH brand is the second largest manufacturer of agricultural equipment in the world."

When I first saw the commercial airing, I couldn't figure out which car/truck they were hawking... @ First I thought it was for Ford Trucks but noticed the Case tractor. Ford I ruled out because I thought that was New Holland and couldn't be Case. I never knew that Case merged w/New Holland in 1999 and is based in Turin Italy. Interesting that the parent company of New Holland and Case IH is CNH Global (Burr Ridge, Illinois).

I guess one stop, one shop... They will hold the note on the Ram truck and the tractor!

Interesting that John Mellencamp was a member of the FFA (the group Harvey was giving that speech to in 1978):

"Scarecrow on a wooden cross; blackbird in the barn;

Four-hundred empty acres that used to be my farm.

I grew up like my daddy did, my grandpa cleared this land;

When I was five I walked the fence while grandpa held my hand.

Rain on the scarecrow, blood on the plow;

This land fed a nation, this land made me proud;

And, son, I'm just sorry there's no legacy for you now . . .

Rain on the scarecrow, blood on the plow.

The crops we grew last summer weren't enough to pay the loans;

Couldn't buy the seed to plant this spring and the Farmers Bank foreclosed.

Called my old friend Schepman up to auction off the land;

He said John it's just my job and I hope you understand.

Hey, calling it your job, ol' hoss, sure don't make it right,

But if you want me to I'll say a prayer for your soul tonight.

And grandma's on the front porch swing with a Bible in her hand;

Sometimes I hear her singing "Take me to the Promised Land."

When you take away a man's dignity, he can't work his fields and cows . . .

There'll be blood on the scarecrow, blood on the plow;

Blood on the scarecrow, blood on the plow.

Well there's ninety-seven crosses planted in the courthouse yard—

Ninety-seven families who lost ninety-seven farms.

I think about my grandpa and my neighbors and my name,

And some nights I feel like dyin', like that scarecrow in the rain.

This land fed a nation, this land made me proud;

And, son, I'm just sorry they're just memories for you now . . .

Rain on the scarecrow, blood on the plow."

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Dodge buy one...........thank you very much for your patronage.

They don't care about the farmers, lets be real.

Think again. Cummins are the only reason people buy Dodge because we know them in our tractors (Case IH), we know them in our Ford's, Freightliners, Kenworth, Western Star, Peterbilt, and more. We know them for more then just Dodge. If Dodge dropped the Cummins (rumors are they could go to Ford???) then Dodge would never sell a real truck again.

Ah... That is it! I was wondering what the link to Case Corporation was and Chrysler. Notice that there are Case tractors being used in the commercial.

From Wiki:

"In 1999, Case LLC merged with New Holland to form CNH Global, a Fiat Group division. The name Case lives on in two brands of the company: the Case CE (for Construction Equipment) brand is the third largest manufacturer of construction equipment, and the Case IH brand is the second largest manufacturer of agricultural equipment in the world."

Duh, where have you been? People do not realize the monopoly in Agricultural, John Deere, CNH, Massey Ferguson or whoever they are now... yeah... huge.

New Holland was Ford, by the way, FoMoCo, as it was known, produced the very first tractors that hit the dirt of this country.

I'd love one manual labor in my life.... I'd love to come home tired and hungry, instead of depressed and resentful....

Are you joking, or serious? I can put you to work, son. If you are trying to sound disrespectful, I will bite my tongue. I have no time for you, and if only you had no time for the farmer.

Go look at your empty plate.