We need to draw a bath for the TX Appeals Court

According to the jury, as reported in this morning's Dallas Morning News, it was THIS testimony and THAT lie in particular which caused them to consider Andrea Yates sane. So overturning the conviction was appropriate.

How can any mother who calls her children into the bathroom one by one and drowns them NOT be a nutcase??? I've raised 5 kids and know that sometimes you can get so angry you can lose control, but this is way beyond that. I think she belongs in a mental hospital rather than a jail. But I'd keep her there forever.

196848[/snapback]

I'm sorry but this idea that all levels of crazy are created equal is ludicrous. If she were eating her own crap or drawing pictures of animals with the body of a lion and head of a shrew and then spending afternoons talking to her creations, I'd agree with you.

This woman is a murderer and a danger to others. She needs to hit the death penalty express lane.

I'm sorry but this idea that all levels of crazy are created equal is ludicrous.  If she were eating her own crap or drawing pictures of animals with the body of a lion and head of a shrew and then spending afternoons talking to her creations, I'd agree with you. 

This woman is a murderer and a danger to others.  She needs to hit the death penalty express lane.

197390[/snapback]

Not to mention the idea that "crazy" makes one not responsible for one's actions. Sorry, but I'm mentally ill...and if I do something stupid in the throes of mental illness, I should be held accountable. Insanity may explain actions, but it should not excuse them.

But at the same time...if the lady's got a treatable condition that caused her to act this way, does it make sense to kill her rather than treat her? Some people are so fundamentally damaged that they should be put to death for the safety of society, I think...but does this case really qualify as such?

Some people are so fundamentally damaged that they should be put to death for the safety of society, I think...but does this case really qualify as such?

197466[/snapback]

I vote yes. When you say treatable, I picture Tony Soprano on Prozac. Nothing more than chlorine for the gene pool.

THAT's in part why this guy's lie was so impactful.  There's no other way to explain her bizarre behavior - either she saw it on TV or she's really a nutcase.

She is so delusional obviously that she just imagined seeing it on TV. Or was that the psychiatrist who was delusional?

She is so delusional obviously that she just imagined seeing it on TV.  Or was that the psychiatrist who was delusional?

197663[/snapback]

You're so delusional you're imaging something that she DIDN'T imagine. That's not like you - perhaps I misunderstood.

She never said she saw anything on TV. The prosecution witness did, and he lied, and he admitted it.

She did say she saw knives and heard voices to get them. She did say the TV told her to stop her kids from eating junk food.

Last evening CourTV broadcast its documentary on this whole sad, horrific thing. Anyone who saw it would know that the woman was not only desperately ill, but had been for some time. Without medication she thinks she did her kids a favor. On medication she has to live with what she did. It's horrible for ALL of them.

The only one I don't feel sorry for is the husband who either didn't notice or didn't act until it was far too late.

There are no winners here.

BTW, I do blame her husband, to some extent. But I can't help but feel sorry for him. Every time I see/hear a story about a mother going nuts and killing her children and/or committing suicide, I feel like someone walked over my grave.

Having a family member deteriorate into psychosis is not something most people are prepared to deal with on any level. Recognizing it as mental illness can be difficult enough. Getting the family member the proper treatment and monitoring their daily prescription routine, while maintaining the care for the rest of the family, can consume every moment of your every day - not just the waking ones either. When your loved one repeatedly relapses and sometimes worsens because treatment is not an exact science, nightmares and panic attacks begin to invade the precious few hours of sleep you allow yourself. Weeks, months, and years melt away in your insulated world. Insulated because the illness intrudes into every personal and professional relationship you have.

He was in a bad spot, and the only way out was take a stroll through hell of his own volition, or have it eventually visit upon him. There's a lot of folks who can't take that walk.

But if any of you dear readers with a family ever have the devil give you the choice that man had, take the walk. I can't guarantee you'll make it through, but I do know you will never be alone. And if you do make it through, when you say 'even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil' - you'll fuggin' mean it like never before.

BTW, I do blame her husband, to some extent. But I can't help but feel sorry for him. Every time I see/hear a story about a mother going nuts and killing her children and/or committing suicide, I feel like someone walked over my grave.

Having a family member deteriorate into psychosis is not something most people are prepared to deal with on any level. Recognizing it as mental illness can be difficult enough. Getting the family member the proper treatment and monitoring their daily prescription routine, while maintaining the care for the rest of the family, can consume every moment of your every day - not just the waking ones either. When your loved one repeatedly relapses and sometimes worsens because treatment is not an exact science, nightmares and panic attacks begin to invade the precious few hours of sleep you allow yourself. Weeks, months, and years melt away in your insulated world. Insulated because the illness intrudes into every personal and professional relationship you have.

He was in a bad spot, and the only way out was take a stroll through hell of his own volition, or have it eventually visit upon him. There's a lot of folks who can't take that walk.

But if any of you dear readers with a family ever have the devil give you the choice that man had, take the walk. I can't guarantee you'll make it through, but I do know you will never be alone. And if you do make it through, when you say 'even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil' - you'll fuggin' mean it like never before.

198143[/snapback]

I have two close relatives who have had the terrible luck to be in the position of dealing with a mentally ill and potentiall violent spouse. Fortunately neither one killed their children, although one of them tried more than once. Thank God the kids were able to get away and call 911.

Like I said, there are no winners. But if you look at the history, this woman had tried suicide, had been institutionalized a number of times, and was warned when she and her husband told her doctor that they wanted to have another kid that it could be dangerous. If SHE didn't have the wherewithal to say NO, I blame him. His response was something like "if someone told you that you could have a Mercedes for free, and all you had to do was suffer a cold for a couple of weeks, would you do it? oh yeah". That's either cavalier, or dumb.

And definitely irresponsible, with hindsight being 20/20. I do give him credit for supporting her during the trial. Assuming he wasn't playacting, either he really loved her or knew that he bore part of the guilt. If I had been in his shoes I'd have found it hard to be in the same room with her without wanting to tear her to pieces.

But if you look at the history, this woman had tried suicide, had been institutionalized a number of times, and was warned when she and her husband told her doctor that they wanted to have another kid that it could be dangerous.

198156[/snapback]

That certainly puts a different light on it. No excuse for business as usual at that point.

That certainly puts a different light on it. No excuse for business as usual at that point.

198175[/snapback]

Yes - but it's tough.

When my bro's wife was going through her trouble (which, God bless the poor thing, turned out to be a very rare brain disorder that has put her in an institution, wasting away) it was hard for him to come to grips with the fact that she didn't recognize her own kids and that her inability to focus or remember things was anything unusual.

We would hear the stories about some of the stuff she did and ask him what he was going to do about it ... he didn't know what to do, so he didn't do much. It only got better when my mom got on a plane and sorted it all out. It's too bad that the Yates family didn't have someone who could, or would, have done that for Andrea.

It's too bad that the Yates family didn't have someone who could, or would, have done that for Andrea.

198474[/snapback]

How do you know that? Maybe many people offered to intervene and help but her husband refused, saying he could take care of it.

How do you know that?  Maybe many people offered to intervene and help but her husband refused, saying he could take care of it.

199563[/snapback]

Well the fact is he didn't, and neither did anyone else. So five kids are dead for no reason.

You're so delusional you're imaging something that she DIDN'T imagine. That's not like you - perhaps I misunderstood.

She never said she saw anything on TV. The prosecution witness did, and he lied, and he admitted it.

She did say she saw knives and heard voices to get them.  She did say the TV told her to stop her kids from eating junk food.

I guess I'm so delusional that I could be a prosecution witness!

I was just getting the facts straight - hence the comment "Or was that the psychiatrist who was delusional?" So it was the prosecution witness that was delusional.

--saw knives and heard voices to get them.

That would be the infomercial for ginsu knives.

--the TV told her to stop her kids from eating junk food.

That would be an infomercial for some fitness device.

I was just getting the facts straight - hence the comment "Or was that the psychiatrist who was delusional?"  So it was the prosecution witness that was delusional.

200493[/snapback]

You'll have to excuse Debbie. She's having a hard time over the last 2 elections. Think Liberal version of the Church Lady.

I was just getting the facts straight - hence the comment "Or was that the psychiatrist who was delusional?"  So it was the prosecution witness that was delusional.

200493[/snapback]

Could be. It was some cartoon that told her about the junk food as I recall. I don't recall. there's a book out but I haven't read it yet, I'm reading Marv's book now. I needed some nostalgia over the holidays.

It's a great read about how the Bills won 4 straight super bowls!  (See- it's good to be delusional!)

200806[/snapback]

Don't laugh. I actually have a pennant declaring the Bills winners of SB XXVI. I assume they had them made up just in case and at least one - mine - got into circulation.

I can dream....

Don't laugh.  I actually have a pennant declaring the Bills winners of SB XXVI.  I assume they had them made up just in case and at least one - mine - got into circulation.

I can dream....

200900[/snapback]

I would guess that pennant has some monetary value to it.