Dave Wannstedt Hired as Buccaneers Special Teams Coordinator

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm absolutely not saying that Wanny is a good coach. He isn't. But in my view the Bills defense last year was very much overmatched. Our LBing corps was one of the worst in the league. Our defensive line right to left played poorly all season long. Mario was hurt, Dareus was a slug, Kyle Williams was inconsistent and the players playing other end position contributed very little.

On this issue you and I have very different views that can't be reconciled.

It can be both. We had a coach that wanted to build a read-and-react defense behind a DL that could disrupt the offense by itself with a straight 4 rush. The DL wasn't good enough to do that. (Is any DL given the last 20 years of evolution in the NFL game?) An unsophisticated coach putting players in positions to accentuate their weaknesses is not a formula for success, which bore out in some record shattering horrific performances.

It can be both. We had a coach that wanted to build a read-and-react defense behind a DL that could disrupt the offense by itself with a straight 4 rush. The DL wasn't good enough to do that. (Is any DL given the last 20 years of evolution in the NFL game?) An unsophisticated coach putting players in positions to accentuate their weaknesses is not a formula for success, which bore out in some record shattering horrific performances.

That's exactly what I was saying. Bad coaching and inadequate talent were issues associated with our defense . The person I was responding to believed that the majority of our defense's problems stemmed from bad coaching. My emphasis was the players weren't good enough with an acknowledgement that the coach was very pedestrian.

That's exactly what I was saying. Bad coaching and inadequate talent were issues associated with our defense . The person I was responding to believed that the majority of our defense's problems stemmed from bad coaching. My emphasis was the players weren't good enough with an acknowledgement that the coach was very pedestrian.

We're in agreement ... except I wouldn't compliment Wannstedt by calling him pedestrian or mediocre, not even with the homer-goggles on. His coaching was a train wreck of flaming tanker cars. So much so that he made Edwards look mediocre.

We're in agreement ... except I wouldn't compliment Wannstedt by calling him pedestrian or mediocre, not even with the homer-goggles on. His coaching was a train wreck of flaming tanker cars. So much so that he made Edwards look mediocre.

When you compare the Bills' organization to successful organizations it is not simply bad, it is humiliatingly bad. Compare Nix to Ozzie Newsome and Trent Baalke, the SB GMs. Compare the scouting departments and coaching staffs to ours. When Kyle Boller didn't work out for the Ravens as their starting qb they went back into the draft pool and picked Flacco.They didn't wait for another generation to pass by before addressing an issue that needed to be addressed. Although Alex Smith almost led his team to the SB last year the 49er front office found a gem in the next draft by selecting Kaepernick. Compare that to Nix's refusal to get off his wrinkled arse to address the void that he allowed to exist for three years?

When Brandom took over the franchise he candidly acknowledged that the Bills "brand" was a tarnished brand. So what does he do? He keeps on keeping on with the same GM who had a lackluster record while at the helm. He kept the person who didn't exhibit an ounce of creativity or urgency.

Now we are led to believe that Nix is being phased out. What does that mean? If he didn't do a good job then why is he still on the job rectifying that which he already screwed up? Doesn't Brandon already know that mediocrity breeds more mediocrity?

When you compare the Bills' organization to successful organizations it is not simply bad, it is humiliatingly bad. Compare Nix to Ozzie Newsome and Trent Baalke, the SB GMs. Compare the scouting departments and coaching staffs to ours. When Kyle Boller didn't work out for the Ravens as their starting qb they went back into the draft pool and picked Flacco.They didn't wait for another generation to pass by before addressing an issue that needed to be addressed. Although Alex Smith almost led his team to the SB last year the 49er front office found a gem in the next draft by selecting Kaepernick. Compare that to Nix's refusal to get off his wrinkled arse to address the void that he allowed to exist for three years?

When Brandom took over the franchise he candidly acknowledged that the Bills "brand" was a tarnished brand. So what does he do? He keeps on keeping on with the same GM who had a lackluster record while at the helm. He kept the person who didn't exhibit an ounce of creativity or urgency.

Now we are led to believe that Nix is being phased out. What does that mean? If he didn't do a good job then why is he still on the job rectifying that which he already screwed up? Doesn't Brandon already know that mediocrity breeds more mediocrity?

Spot on!

If this isn't proof positive of quality minority candidates being passed over for serious consideration in favor of retreads I don't know what could be. Did anyone on the Bucs look at films of last season?? Thank god we get to play them. Fitz could look good in that game!