[OT] What should I take?

Just Jack

If he's smart enough not to listen to advice from a Bills message board why isn't he smart enough not to ask in the first place?  :lol:

Who's Kitna?

196154[/snapback]

Well, he's probably killing time in between blowing his nose and watching the snot run down his hands because he didnt spend the extra three bucks for four ply tissues. But I could be wrong. :lol:

He's that QB guy in Cincy! :w00t:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try and keep is straight: I don't have sidekicks.  I am, however, a minion. 

And what do you care about glockenspiel jokes?  We're just having fun...if you don't like it, shut up and bang on your cowbell, lemming.

196161[/snapback]

Cowbell? that is so 2004...get with the times...scooter....it's all ball bearings now...maybe you need a refresher course

Cowbell? that is so 2004...get with the times...scooter....it's all ball bearings now...maybe you need a refresher course

196179[/snapback]

Yet again demonstrating the utter inanity of the cowbell...why would you unimaginative lemmings choose a symbol that expires with the New Year? The glockenspiel, in comparison, has a timelessness to it..

Yet again demonstrating the utter inanity of the cowbell...why would you unimaginative lemmings choose a symbol that expires with the New Year?  The glockenspiel, in comparison, has a timelessness to it..

196192[/snapback]

Yes.....and it's German, too.

Shopping list:

Zicam

Cold-Eeze

Jim Bean

Garlic

Chicken soup

Robotusin

Ibuprofin

I'll try taking everything together and see what happens.

196202[/snapback]

If you throw a little Liquid-Plumr into that mix, you'll get the same result but a LOT more quickly.

:w00t:

Jack, I don't want to sound like an ass, but make sure you read the directions on the Zicam, ... it looks just like nose spray, but you dont use it like regular nose spray. You instead stick the nozzle in your nose and point the tip outwards (like you're pointing it away from your face). Then you spray both sides, then squeeze your nose. You're basically trying to get the ingredients to soak into your nasal tissues.

Sorry, just sometimes people don't read directions, especially if your groggy from Dewars and NyQuil :w00t:

Your symptoms are no doubt caused by a virus. There are a few prescription drugs that demonstrably reduce the severity and duration of a cold or flu. The over the counter stuff (Cold Eze, Zicam etc.) may or may not. I think the jury is still out.

Start by heading the the common sense recommendations already made. Drink more fluids, get more rest. I tend to get only the mildest possible symptoms with most colds, so I don't tend to take time off from work, but I do treat symptoms agressively. No it doesn't make the cold go away faster, but I find when you let symptoms go untreated, the inflamation will be worse and take longer to calm down.

It's not necessary to take anything for a low grade fever. A low grade fever may actually help your body kill the offending virus. However, with a sore throat, I probably would take a NSAID (non steroidal anti inflamatory drug). Aspirin and ibuprofin fall into that category. I'm cheap so I always get the house brand. You'll pay through the nose for name brands like Advil. It will take down a fever anyway. Don't take Tylenol since that only relieves discomfort and does not calm the inflamation. It works in the brain, not at the site of the problem.

Supposedly, there are some real merits to taking honey and lemon juice (the old home remedy). The honey makes the lemon juice tolerable, but it also helps the mixture coat the throat. The acid in the lemon juice is a hostile environment for viruses. The vitamin C in it doesn't hurt either. If you want, you can also use a throat spray like Chloroseptic to deaden pain. It probably doesn't do anything long team but may make it feel better for a while.

As the cold progresses, the symptoms will change. I'm assuming it's a cold because with the flu, the symptoms worsen much more rapidly. Think getting sucker punched versus being hit by a truck. For nasal congestion there are two medications to consider. First is an over the counter nasal spray. Get the house brand long lasting spray. The medication is Oxymetazyline or something like that. It's very effective and can be used for a few days. Longer use is not recomended because you can develop a kind of dependency. That is when the medication wears off your nose will get stuffy even when the cold is over.

Pseudephedrine HCL is the standard decongestant that is in virtually every product in pill form that says it will clear your nasal congestion. It works pretty well too. Sudafed is the name brand of the straight decongestant, though it is often combined with a bunch of other stuff. One precaution, you should avoid it if you have high blood pressure.

If you get a dry cough, take guafenisin. It will loosen it up. If you wake up at night with coughing fits, take dextromethophan. It is an over the counter cough suppressant. I always use a chest rub at night when I get a cold. I think that helps keep everything clearer at night.

I have one more advantage when it comes to colds. I take Flonase for chronic allergies (there is something in the air year around that I am allergic to) and a tendency to develop nasal polyps. I think the natural anti-inflamatory properties of Flonase help minimize the nasal symptoms of colds. Unfortunately, it doesn't work quickly enough to be of much use just for colds. You'd be over the cold about the time the Flonase is starting to work.

Not drugs.  Chicken Soup with a ginger based broth and some garlic.  Make sure it has broccoli and other "anti-oxident" rich veggies in it.  Pick up some berries (elder and choke are the best - have the highest anti-oxident levels in them).  Lots of different juices.

Drugs do little more than mask symptoms.  Let Mother Nature's best do the work and your liver will thank you.

196084[/snapback]

My natural "immunity cocktail" I have been taking when it feels like I'm coming down with something is Zinc/Echinecia(sp)/Sambucol (Black Elderberry Extract). Has been working fairly well this winter.

Supposedly, there are some real merits to taking honey and lemon juice (the old home remedy). The honey makes the lemon juice tolerable, but it also helps the mixture coat the throat. The acid in the lemon juice is a hostile environment for viruses. The vitamin C in it doesn't hurt either. If you want, you can also use a throat spray like Chloroseptic to deaden pain. It probably doesn't do anything long team but may make it feel better for a while.

Try mixing the lemon juce and honey with some apple cider vinegar and hot water. Sip slowly. Take simple aspirin every 4 hours and gargle with warm salted water.

Since I spent most of my childhood 50 miles from the nearest doctor - we learned to use what nature provided and everything worked just as well (or better) than any of the drugs/remedies on the market today. Note AD's advice about your liver - very good advice.

Shopping list:

Zicam

Cold-Eeze

Jim Bean

Garlic

Chicken soup

Robotusin

Ibuprofin

I'll try taking everything together and see what happens.

196202[/snapback]

Have your doctor prescribe Biaxin (500mg, twice a day). It's helped knock out the worst sinus infections, including one about a week ago that kept me bedridden for a day or so.

Have your doctor prescribe Biaxin (500mg, twice a day).  It's helped knock out the worst sinus infections, including one about a week ago that kept me bedridden for a day or so.

196933[/snapback]

Biaxin is a clarithromycin (antibiotic). He's got a cold or the flu. It won't help him. Then again, overprescription and misuse of antibiotics has lead to an increase in multi-drug resistant clinical bacterial isolates...ensuring I have a job.