Disney's Paperman

DrDawkinstein

Introducing a groundbreaking technique that seamlessly merges computer-generated and hand-drawn animation techniques, first-time director John Kahrs takes the art of animation in a bold new direction with the Oscar®-nominated short, "Paperman." Using a minimalist black-and-white style, the short follows the story of a lonely young man in mid-century New York City, whose destiny takes an unexpected turn after a chance meeting with a beautiful woman on his morning commute. Convinced the girl of his dreams is gone forever, he gets a second chance when he spots her in a skyscraper window across the avenue from his office. With only his heart, imagination and a stack of papers to get her attention, his efforts are no match for what the fates have in store for him. Created by a small, innovative team working at Walt Disney Animation Studios, "Paperman" pushes the animation medium in an exciting new direction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTLySbGoMX0

Edited by DrDareustein

Yeah, cute story, but I really like the look of the GCI/animation combo.

This may have been the least sad Disney film Ive seen in a while. Up, Wall-e, Finding Nemo, etc are all surprisingly heartbreaking for kids movies.

You left out "Toy Story 3".

I covered that one in "etc", but definitely shouldve listed by name. Whats up with that, Mark? Why are Disney movies so sad?

I guess they just have that right amount of emotion in their story telling to make it work that way.

Notice how all the movies you listed are from Pixar. Which to me is more than just another animation studio. Pixar's storytelling and writing is what sets them apart.

I was telling people that movies like "Wall-E", "Up" & "Toy Story 3" were so good that all of them could have won the Oscar for Best Picture. I can guarantee you that there was not one movie that had more people crying, amongst all the other best picture candidates, than "Toy Story 3".

Of course Disney has been evoking tears out of people since "Bambi". Like I said, they just seem to find the right material.

I guess they just have that right amount of emotion in their story telling to make it work that way.

Notice how all the movies you listed are from Pixar. Which to me is more than just another animation studio. Pixar's storytelling and writing is what sets them apart.

I was telling people that movies like "Wall-E", "Up" & "Toy Story 3" were so good that all of them could have won the Oscar for Best Picture. I can guarantee you that there was not one movie that had more people crying, amongst all the other best picture candidates, than "Toy Story 3".

Of course Disney has been evoking tears out of people since "Bambi". Like I said, they just seem to find the right material.

I don't know if I cried but I welled up. One of few movies I went to see in a theatre - 3D at that.

Animation's cool but I don't connect to the story.

These people don't know each other, so why are his fruitless efforts supposed to strike a chord? And when he finds her, what significance has that got? That they finally get to go on a first date?

I'm not trying to be a spoilsport, but when you compare this to "Up" and the relationship that it established in a similar time frame, "Paperman" is nothing by comparison. The love at first sight thing is overplayed and disingenuous. Give me real emotion.