I don't like U2, but....

Just Jack

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are whittling away, but the powers that be are the cake. I imagine most owners have a pretty good relationship with the commish, but it just seems a bit... funny.

Plus one on the Kraft oddities. I'm still floored that he's a Viacom director and that CBS/Viacom has a direct ownership interest in Patriette* Place and no one in the media had the cajones to report on that --I learned it from Wikipedia. At least that explains the nob gobbling on CBS for Brady, Belicheat* & unholy crew.

As for U2, best concert I ever saw was them at MSG in Oct, 2001, from the Fox News booth no less. Emotional as all heck, from draping himself in the US flag to that list of names, not a dry eye in the house. How much the world (and US politics) has changed since then....

Plus one on the Kraft oddities. I'm still floored that he's a Viacom director and that CBS/Viacom has a direct ownership interest in Patriette* Place and no one in the media had the cajones to report on that --I learned it from Wikipedia. At least that explains the nob gobbling on CBS for Brady, Belicheat* & unholy crew.

Yes, that explains why the pats who were conference champions 6 times in a 16 year stretch are media darlings.

ANYWHO, those among us who are U2 fans knew that halftime show was gonna be great, and it was. I was glad to see so many non/casual fans agreed.

I'm a big U2 fan and one of the very worst concerts I've ever seen, perhaps THE worst, was a U2 show in Phoenix during the Zoo TV and Bono's gold lame phase, "lame" being the key word. It was so very bad. I hope they just had a bad night. I've also seen them when they were great. But that was intolerably bad.

better than Beyonce but I wont watch the halftime show until Metallica is on (this year would have been great since they from San Fran)

better than Beyonce? ......only slightly - :nana:

understatement of the month

The presentation was great but i don't get the infatuation with U2 ?????

it's not infatuation, it's respect.....and if you have ask, then you just don't get it.

I saw a couple post - 9/11 U2 shows and witnessed the video board tributes to the victims. It was the most moving & emotional concert experience I have ever been a part of. People everywhere were crying their eyes out. It was a very cathartic & communal moment.

U2 is one of the few bands since 1980 that have had much staying power. Loved them from the first album, back when they were considered a "punk" band.

In '81, they were promoting the first album Boy (and maybe October too). Saw them at the live rock club Uncle Sam's, on Walden Ave in Cheektowaga. Nobody gave a crap about them and I couldn't find anyone who wanted to go with me so I went alone. I knew then they were going to be HUGE.

Both U2 and myself are still rocking out 32 years later.

The presentation was great but i don't get the infatuation with U2 ?????

Im with you. Dont get me wrong. They have hits. But after 1991's acthung baby, most of their albums are average at best. 1, maximum 2 good songs on each album.

zooropa

pop

all that you cant leave behind

how to dismantle an atomic bomb

no line on the horizon-- "Get on your boots"????? I think I heard that in 2009 when I got the album, when I went to their concert, and that's about it. I have not heard it ever again... "Moment of surrender" is their best song on that album, but it barely made air time in Los angeles...

Oh well

All just basic albums. I like u2 in general terms, but I'm not a huge fan. Just average fan of them. Their 360 tour was good though.

wow...that image of the names in the article shows Daniel Brandhorst, he graduated from Liverpool in 77 or 78, he was an extended friend...he and his partner were on their way back from california with their newly adopted son...how sad....

is there such as thing as better than beyonce? google search image before you reply.

Dont need to see the google images of her.

For African American women. No there is not. Beyonce is the hottest african american woman alive! I'm with you.

****On a side note, a dancer (not stripper), danced the single ladies song to a perfect imitation for me. I was like omg, mouth open, inspired, BONER (not bono), just simply amazed right. And that was a 2nd rate Beyonce performance.... Wow I would love to have been the video man for the single ladies shoot.

Edited by Clippers of Nfl

U2 is one of the few bands since 1980 that have had much staying power. Loved them from the first album, back when they were considered a "punk" band.

In '81, they were promoting the first album Boy (and maybe October too). Saw them at the live rock club Uncle Sam's, on Walden Ave in Cheektowaga. Nobody gave a crap about them and I couldn't find anyone who wanted to go with me so I went alone. I knew then they were going to be HUGE.

That is great. I have seen U2 many times, but never at a place like Uncle Sam's. I remember I was supposed to go see a particular band there way back, but for some reason we ended up doing something else. That band was the Police. I wish I had seen both U2 and the Police back then.

That is great. I have seen U2 many times, but never at a place like Uncle Sam's. I remember I was supposed to go see a particular band there way back, but for some reason we ended up doing something else. That band was the Police. I wish I had seen both U2 and the Police back then.

One of my other club experiences was at a relatively small club called Stage 1 or Patrick Henry's (same place) at Transit and Main in Clarence. In 1978, they had two acts in a "battle of the bands". Talas and Dr. J Jone and The Interns were the two band battling it out. Talas was clearly the better band that night. The other band was fronted by a dude who "looked like a lady" and was fairly drugged out. Dr J Jones was an alias for a band that still rocks today. I was aquainted with the club owners, so I knew that Dr J Jones was a fake name for the band that was already selling millions of records by them. I'd seen them 4 years earlier opening for Johnny Winter at the Niagara Falls Convention Center when their opening number was Helter Skelter, and they were pushing their new single, Dream On.

Had also seen Gregg Allman and Cher at the same club a few times. My friend was taking a good look at Cher one night when another of his friends said "why don't you kiss her:" He froze. Instead, Cher grabbed him and shoved her tongue down his throat. Gregg just stood there shaking his head.

Ahhh, the good old days.

IMO U2s performance that SB was by far the best ever. It was moving, entertaining, uplifting, and patriotic. No other band or artist could have captured the spirit of the country at that moment in US history as well as they did. I have that performance as a mp3 and still get goosebumps when I listen to it.

As far as not getting U2... There are very few bands whose music appeals to so many people in so many different countries spanning multiple generations. Yes they have had some misses on songs but even Led Zeppelin put out songs that should have not been released. To the casual listener they may have had 1-2 songs on each CD, but most of their CDs are well written. They dont, however, contain many radio friendly songs. Actuhng baby and Joshua tree are some of the best records ever made by anyone, from start to finish. Their shows are phenomenal. The problem with U2 now is that they are trying to make "relevant" music, ie Pop music, when the should really do what they do best... Write socially conscious heart felt songs.

Edited by MotownBillsFan

They played Uncle Sam's in '80. I believe that was the night John Lennon was shot.

Best SuoerBowl halftime performance EVER. I'm with you Motown. Uplifting, energizing, patriotic and it absolutely captured the spirit of the country and as much as I HATE the Patriots now, I was never more happy they won that SuperBowl. It was defenately good for the United Stated at the time. It was a Red White and Blue SuperBowl. It was an amazing ending to a great game. I truly feel that game was fixed for those uplifting feelings across the country, but I don't care. It was well worth it. Every cheating SuperBowl win by the Pats since however can be removed from record books as far as I'm concerned.

IMO U2s performance that SB was by far the best ever. It was moving, entertaining, uplifting, and patriotic. No other band or artist could have captured the spirit of the country at that moment in US history as well as they did. I have that performance as a mp3 and still get goosebumps when I listen to it.

As far as not getting U2... There are very few bands whose music appeals to so many people in so many different countries spanning multiple generations. Yes they have had some misses on songs but even Led Zeppelin put out songs that should have not been released. To the casual listener they may have had 1-2 songs on each CD, but most of their CDs are well written. They dont, however, contain many radio friendly songs. Actuhng baby and Joshua tree are some of the best records ever made by anyone, from start to finish. Their shows are phenomenal. The problem with U2 now is that they are trying to make "relevant" music, ie Pop music, when the should really do what they do best... Write socially conscious heart felt songs.

Hence why they are not really good anymore.

Stick to what worked. I dont mind some new "funk" or a little outside your comfort zone. But dont go so far out of your comfort zone, that all anyone wants to hear is your old stuff and your new stuff is barely ok.

Someone later posted that they cant stand u2. I've never heard that before.

better than Beyonce? ......only slightly - :nana:

understatement of the month

it's not infatuation, it's respect.....and if you have ask, then you just don't get it.

I saw a couple post - 9/11 U2 shows and witnessed the video board tributes to the victims. It was the most moving & emotional concert experience I have ever been a part of. People everywhere were crying their eyes out. It was a very cathartic & communal moment.

Alan Jackson and Toby Keith did more and got just as much of attention. U2 is all well and great but do not judge their music on their pandering