New gun control thread!

Here's the original quote that I was claiming (and still am) was stupid. Somehow we've gone from if you're going to carry for self defense to protecting your house from home invasion.

So let me reiterate my point here. If you are going to buy a gun to carry for self defense get something that you don't have to add a laser site to to make it effective. Also, get something with some stopping power. My Glock was a motherphucking beast.

If you are going to keep it at home for defense of your home then sure a laser site added to any gun would help. I haven't claimed to be a gun expert. But I know when something is just plain stupid.

I'm bringing home invasion into this because I would rather buy one gun than two.

Your Glock was a beast, but stopping power doesn't mean dick if you cant hit anything with it, and all the range time in the world can't prepare you for a life or death situation. Tipping the scales at 135 lbs, it is tough for me to carry a full frame handgun without people noticing, therefore I have to rely on these underpowered rounds, and I want to make sure every shot counts, especially now that I am only allowed 7. And again I state that the laser sight is of the utmost importance for safety reasons. The person acting in self defense is liable for each round that exits the muzzle of his or her firearm. I don't want to sail a quarter ounce of expanding lead into someones property, or worse, an innocent bystander.

Listen Fatty, you've been widely criticised here for your ignorance about guns. Trying to twist my words is all you have left? I said a 38 automatic was the minimum I'd purchase for self protection. I mentioned that for the purpose of carrying. I also suggested a laser site. Who says you can't have a gun to carry and also use it for home protection? So far you haven't had one person here side with you. Maybe you should just admit you are wrong and are being an **** about it?

People have to side with me in order for my argument to be valid?

Fortunately, the guy breaking into your home can only carry 7 rounds, too, so it should be a fair fight.

If you can't drop a person invading your home with 7 rounds your death is a matter of Natural Selection.

People have to side with me in order for my argument to be valid?

If you can't drop a person invading your home with 7 rounds your death is a matter of Natural Selection.

The city I live in just arrested four people who have been breaking/entering into homes together for the past three months. Two inside, two outside, all of them armed.

Four.

But you stick with your myopic view of what you think is supposed to happen. I'm sure it works well for you.

I haven't wanted to pile on, because you're getting it from a lot of people here, but this is just dumb. Sorry, but it is.

Edited by Rob's House

If you cant knock someone down in a dark or dimly lit setting with an underpowered pistol that doesn't quite fit your hands and has crappy sights seconds after you are roused from your slumber by the sound of breaking glass downstairs, you don't deserve to live.

As far as laser sights go, a friend and I were getting robbed downtown when someone from an upstairs apartment shined a laser pointer down on the crowd, at which point everyone scattered and we were able to get away. Fortunately I got away unscathed but my friend caught a baseball bat to the head before we were saved.

That's who the !@#$ NEEDS this ****. You never need it until you do.

And I believe it was Sodbuster who correctly stated that you never pull a gun unless you're prepared to pull the trigger, because hopefully the guy will back off and leave you alone, but not everyone's wrapped right and if you just wrote a check your ass can't cash, he might take it away, shove it up your ass, and pull the !@#$ing trigger til it goes click.

The city I live in just arrested four people who have been breaking/entering into homes together for the past three months. Two inside, two outside, all of them armed.

Four.

But you stick with your myopic view of what you think is supposed to happen. I'm sure it works well for you.

Well, then you have 7 rounds to use between two people in your home. Since you are telling me that all of them were armed once you open fire you're pretty much !@#$ed anyway right. Unless you think you can take down two people before either of them can get off a shot.

If you then want to chase the other two that are outside your home that's your business.

Well, then you have 7 rounds to use between two people in your home. Since you are telling me that all of them were armed once you open fire you're pretty much !@#$ed anyway right. Unless you think you can take down two people before either of them can get off a shot.

If you then want to chase the other two that are outside your home that's your business.

It's funny the way you guys think you've got every possible scenario covered. Anyone who knows anything about this topic knows that in the heat of the moment you're highly unlikely to hit your target with one shot. Guys on the streets break out into gunfire 10 feet away from each other and miss wildly. Plus, somettimes one shot doesn't do it. You want to shoot several times if your life is in danger or risk a guy with a bullet in his shoulder raising his other arm and unloading into you.

Dude. Stop already. Just stop digging. It's ok to be wrong. Really...

You really seem to have it all figured out. Either you have too many rounds and deserve to die if you can't aim, or you're so over matched that you'll never have enough rounds, in which case you still deserve to die.

One thing I do love about liberals: you don't care how stupid you sound as long as you can make your point.

It's funny the way you guys think you've got every possible scenario covered. Anyone who knows anything about this topic knows that in the heat of the moment you're highly unlikely to hit your target with one shot. Guys on the streets break out into gunfire 10 feet away from each other and miss wildly. Plus, somettimes one shot doesn't do it. You want to shoot several times if your life is in danger or risk a guy with a bullet in his shoulder raising his other arm and unloading into you.

Dude. Stop already. Just stop digging. It's ok to be wrong. Really...

You really seem to have it all figured out. Either you have too many rounds and deserve to die if you can't aim, or you're so over matched that you'll never have enough rounds, in which case you still deserve to die.

One thing I do love about liberals: you don't care how stupid you sound as long as you can make your point.

I really don't know how to respond to all this crazy ****. So let me just see if I can get what I'm trying to say out in one longer paragraph.

If you are going to carry a gun for self defense as I did, it should be reliable and accurate. On top of that, you should learn how to use it. I took shooting lessons. Learning how to pull the gun properly, stance, proper way to point and aim. One of the reasons I chose the Glock was due to it's reliability and accuracy. Most NY state employees that carry use the Glock. Now this is the only handgun I've ever fired so I can't speak to the fact that it would be the right weapon for everybody.

However, everything I've read about the .38 states that the gun is fairly underpowered and inaccurate. The inaccuracy is due to an overall poor build causing the rounds to wobble or tumble after they leave the barrel. So the problem, as far as I can tell is with the gun, not the site. putting a laser site on it isn't going to change how the gun fires.

If you feel the need to soup up your gun with a laser site. Be my guest. But it really isn't going to provide more accuracy to a weapon that is, by it's nature, inaccurate.

So here's my advise. Take the responsibility of owning/carrying a gun seriously. Make sure it's accurate, you know how to use it. And it's a good fit for you.

I don't agree with the 7 round magazine limit in NY state. But it is what it is there right now.

And, as usual, LA responds to a point that I wasn't even trying to make. What color is the sky in your world dude?

If you cant knock someone down in a dark or dimly lit setting with an underpowered pistol that doesn't quite fit your hands and has crappy sights seconds after you are roused from your slumber by the sound of breaking glass downstairs, you don't deserve to live.

First off, natural selection doesn't mean you deserve to die. It just means that's whats going to happen if you can't adapt to the situation. Contrary to my screen name I'm 5'7" 155lbs. that's only about 20 lbs more than you. If you know how to stand you should be able to handle the recoil. Hell, there are both men and women in the military that have sharpshooter status that weigh less than you.

Wow.

Just wow.

If someone breaks in my house and I have a firearm I am not going to simply stop when I give them a flesh wound. When they rob your house or you it is not like the continental army where they stand in front of you and just trade shots.

I really don't know how to respond to all this crazy ****. So let me just see if I can get what I'm trying to say out in one longer paragraph.

If you are going to carry a gun for self defense as I did, it should be reliable and accurate. On top of that, you should learn how to use it. I took shooting lessons. Learning how to pull the gun properly, stance, proper way to point and aim. One of the reasons I chose the Glock was due to it's reliability and accuracy. Most NY state employees that carry use the Glock. Now this is the only handgun I've ever fired so I can't speak to the fact that it would be the right weapon for everybody.

However, everything I've read about the .38 states that the gun is fairly underpowered and inaccurate. The inaccuracy is due to an overall poor build causing the rounds to wobble or tumble after they leave the barrel. So the problem, as far as I can tell is with the gun, not the site. putting a laser site on it isn't going to change how the gun fires.

If you feel the need to soup up your gun with a laser site. Be my guest. But it really isn't going to provide more accuracy to a weapon that is, by it's nature, inaccurate.

So here's my advise. Take the responsibility of owning/carrying a gun seriously. Make sure it's accurate, you know how to use it. And it's a good fit for you.

I don't agree with the 7 round magazine limit in NY state. But it is what it is there right now.

And, as usual, LA responds to a point that I wasn't even trying to make. What color is the sky in your world dude?

First off, natural selection doesn't mean you deserve to die. It just means that's whats going to happen if you can't adapt to the situation. Contrary to my screen name I'm 5'7" 155lbs. that's only about 20 lbs more than you. If you know how to stand you should be able to handle the recoil. Hell, there are both men and women in the military that have sharpshooter status that weigh less than you.

:wallbash: just stop. We are talking about the .380 auto, which is a .38 cal bullet. It does fine ballistically at distances under 50 ft. What we aren;t talking about is a specific gun, and as you have said, the quality of work on the gun can cripple performance. That, however, is not what we are talking about.

I'm not talking about recoil. I'm saying that at my weight, it is difficult to conceal. I'm no stranger to recoil. I own a medium frame .45acp, which I shoot regularly. Not a problem. The problem is that I find it difficult to CARRY anything larger than a compact pistol without wearing excessively baggy clothing. You say that if you cant adapt to the situation, bad things will happen. I say, anything I can do to help me adapt to the situation, be it larger chamberings, more rounds, or even a laser sight, will sway the odds in my favor.

You can train as much as you want (or as much as the law allows, in states with ammo restrictions and cost prohibitive legislation) but you never know what you will do when the SHTF. Just this summer someone broke into my house at 2am. I rolled out of bed, grabbed my trusty 870, and investigated the noise I heard, thinking a cat knocked something over. When the invader saw the lights turn on, he scooted. Then I looked down and realized I was wielding an empty gun. I have hundreds, if not thousands of hours at the range, and have taken a home defense class. Things happen in high adrenaline situations.

:oops:

Took the police 7 minutes to arrive, fwiw.

:wallbash: just stop. We are talking about the .380 auto, which is a .38 cal bullet. It does fine ballistically at distances under 50 ft. What we aren;t talking about is a specific gun, and as you have said, the quality of work on the gun can cripple performance. That, however, is not what we are talking about.

I'm not talking about recoil. I'm saying that at my weight, it is difficult to conceal. I'm no stranger to recoil. I own a medium frame .45acp, which I shoot regularly. Not a problem. The problem is that I find it difficult to CARRY anything larger than a compact pistol without wearing excessively baggy clothing. You say that if you cant adapt to the situation, bad things will happen. I say, anything I can do to help me adapt to the situation, be it larger chamberings, more rounds, or even a laser sight, will sway the odds in my favor.

You can train as much as you want (or as much as the law allows, in states with ammo restrictions and cost prohibitive legislation) but you never know what you will do when the SHTF. Just this summer someone broke into my house at 2am. I rolled out of bed, grabbed my trusty 870, and investigated the noise I heard, thinking a cat knocked something over. When the invader saw the lights turn on, he scooted. Then I looked down and realized I was wielding an empty gun. I have hundreds, if not thousands of hours at the range, and have taken a home defense class. Things happen in high adrenaline situations.

:oops:

Took the police 7 minutes to arrive, fwiw.

I think I get more of what you're saying now. But what's your reason for carrying concealed? I'm small framed and carried in a shoulder holster. You could see the bulge from under my jacket but I really didn't care if they knew I was carrying or not.

I agree that things happen in high adrenaline situations but the more practice you have with your weapon the better chance you have of not making a mistake.

Sorry that that happened to you bro. Glad you didn't get hurt.

I think I get more of what you're saying now. But what's your reason for carrying concealed? I'm small framed and carried in a shoulder holster. You could see the bulge from under my jacket but I really didn't care if they knew I was carrying or not.

I agree that things happen in high adrenaline situations but the more practice you have with your weapon the better chance you have of not making a mistake.

If you're gun prints badly enough that people can tell you have a gun, they can call the police, and there goes your concealed carry license. So you should probably care. Unless you're full of **** wrt your firearm experience.

So, you've now come around to my position. Does that mean you've taken a stupid position now, or were you wrong when you called my position stupid?

Because in NYS there is no open carry. If you are in public and someone can tell you have a gun, they can make your life very miserable. I wouldn't otherwise care if people knew I had a gun. I would rather they did know.