Your 2013 draft strategy if you were the Bill’s GM?

simpleman

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bright side of that scenario is it becomes conceivably possible that Werner, Jones, or Joekel falls to #8

I definitely agree with this. I would just hope that the talent was great enough that the Bills would be persuaded to not shoot themselves in the foot and take an inferior QB in desperation.

None of us really know where any QB will go, any one player can rise and fall in the draft. Who would have believed Buffalo could have gotten Glen in the 2nd last year?

I can't speak for the poster, but he did say he would move back in the first. I assume he would only do it for an extra third. Guess he would only move a couple back back to only get a third for moving back in the 1st.

http://www.draftcoun...Value-Chart.php

I tried to post the chart but the TBD site does not hold the format. This helps teams make trades of picks to equalize the standard value of each pick. The more desperate a team is the more likely they will deviate from the standard value.

Thanks for clarifying my point Simpleman.

Pick best player available at 8, then fill needs...

fill needs ? what no you have to draft a quarterback, and keep drafting them - keeping in mind you can only play one at a time and for not filling other holes your team is a disaster and now your fired. Some people who post here have such a simplistic approach - no reason not to have a quarterback

Here a mock from one of my favorite college scouting sites. They seem to use your model to drafting,outside of the QB they have slated for the Bills (I like EJ Manuel in that spot) it's pretty interesting...maybe the way the Bills go on draft day.

Early projections 2013 NFL Draft

If Star Lotulelei was there at 8, if you did believe in BPA how could you possibly pass him up?

Depending on who is there at 8, I would take a QB in the first if Wilson, Smith or Barkley is there. If not, take BPA in the first and best QB available in the second. BPA in rds 3-6, but try and get a couple of LB's. I would also listen to trade offers in the first, and if someone blows you away, then trade down. If not, get your QB.

Hold onto the #8 pick and use the full allotted 10 minutes before using it, hoping that another team makes you a trade offer so good you can't refuse.

If that offer doesn't materialize, pick the best player available regardless of position.

With ALL due respect, I can never wrap myself around this stance. For instance, Dee Miliner might be a better cover corner than Gilmore, albeit less physical. He is regarded in most circles to be the best corner in this draft. Do you think that he would win more games for this particular team than a solid qb or lb? I for one do not.

I would rather have Rothlisberger (not the best qb in the NFL by any stretch) on the Bills than Revis (said to be the best cb in the NFL).

My point is that bpa regardless of position would not allow the Bills enough room to look at it's roster, and decide which players will win football games for us.

Jmo.

With ALL due respect, I can never wrap myself around this stance. For instance, Dee Miliner might be a better cover corner than Gilmore, albeit less physical. He is regarded in most circles to be the best corner in this draft. Do you think that he would win more games for this particular team than a solid qb or lb? I for one do not.

I would rather have Rothlisberger (not the best qb in the NFL by any stretch) on the Bills than Revis (said to be the best cb in the NFL).

My point is that bpa regardless of position would not allow the Bills enough room to look at it's roster, and decide which players will win football games for us.

Jmo.

Bill, do you fall asleep every night worrying that the Bills will again use a number one draft picki on a CB? LOL

I'm very confident that this year the Bills will draft a qb in the first or second round. I wouldn't be adverse to trading down and acquiring more picks to bolster the roster in more positions. With Nix at the helm I don't see that happening. Why is he still with the organization?

Don't be surprised that when our turn comes up in the first round that all the prior drafting teams will have selected players who play positions other than the qb position. There is absolutely no excuse for the Bills not to come out of this draft without a quality qb draft prospect. Be confident Bill, be confident. Nix who is incapable of holding his cards close to the vest is all but declaring to the public at large what he is going to do.

Trade our first for an extra 1st next year and a third this year. Make due with best player available this year and see what we have with these new coaches. Next year we'll have 2 first rounders and have the leverage to get Johnny Football.

Problem solved.

Pick best player available at 8, then fill needs...

While I understand why this is said, what if the best player available is a running back or another position of strength? Would it really be wise to ahere to the "best player available strategy" in all cases? I don't think so. Positional need must always be a part of the process. I'm not suggesting that they reach for a positional need. That would be foolish. To build an all around solid team, areas of need must be addressed. If that means selecting a player who might be slightly lower on the draft board over a player in an area of team strength, I say do it.

Jmo.

Hey Bill.

Though one can never tell, I don't think there are supposed to be any Roethlisberger-type talents in this year's draft although I'm intrigued by EJ Manuel. His physical skills are very exceptional thus I think his upside is too.

However I'm still troubled by the idea of taking the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th best QB at #8, thus BPA.

Given what's out there I think an elite type pass rusher will be available at that spot and I would love for the Bills to draft one. Specifically I'm in love with Dion Jordan at the moment.

Double-digit pass rushers are very hard to come by and I think you pounce when you get that opportunity.

Bill, do you fall asleep every night worrying that the Bills will again use a number one draft picki on a CB? LOL

I'm very confident that this year the Bills will draft a qb in the first or second round. I wouldn't be adverse to trading down and acquiring more picks to bolster the roster in more positions. With Nix at the helm I don't see that happening. Why is he still with the organization?

Don't be surprised that when our turn comes up in the first round that all the prior drafting teams will have selected players who play positions other than the qb position. There is absolutely no excuse for the Bills not to come out of this draft without a quality qb draft prospect. Be confident Bill, be confident. Nix who is incapable of holding his cards close to the vest is all but declaring to the public at large what he is going to do.

I don't disagree. My comment was about the "bpa" philosophy. This team, imo, needs a qb and linebackers in order to win. And we could also use some wrs.

Hey Bill.

Though one can never tell, I don't think there are supposed to be any Roethlisberger-type talents in this year's draft although I'm intrigued by EJ Manuel. His physical skills are very exceptional thus I think his upside is too.

However I'm still troubled by the idea of taking the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th best QB at #8, thus BPA.

Given what's out there I think an elite type pass rusher will be available at that spot and I would love for the Bills to draft one. Specifically I'm in love with Dion Jordan at the moment.

Double-digit pass rushers are very hard to come by and I think you pounce when you get that opportunity.

The critical issue for the Bills isn't who is the first or second or third rated qb. The substative issue is can you come up with a qb that suits your needs and system. The qb who many might rank as the best might not be the best qb for your system. Russell Wilson and Kaepernick were not considered to be ranked at the top of their qb draft class. Yet, they thrived for the teams that selected them.

Would I be willing to draft an elite pass rusher if it meant that we missed on "our" qb? For me the answer is no. I blame Buddy Nix for putting this team in a position where it desperately needs a franchise qb. If the front office felt that they could find their "prospect" in the second round then I would be agreeable to an alternative drafting sequence. But in that type of scenario I would prefer trading down and still make it a priority to get our qb in a lower first round slot.

I disagree with the view that this year is lacking in high quality qb prospects. Tyler Wilson is my favorite qb but there are other good candidates such as Smith and Barkley who would be good selections. Getting a prospect on the roster is an imperative for this team. Until that position is upgraded the cycle of mediocrity will continue to grind on.

I don't disagree. My comment was about the "bpa" philosophy. This team, imo, needs a qb and linebackers in order to win. And we could also use some wrs.

We all know what our multiple needs are. The problem is that the people making the selections are a tad off kilter! Drafting and then having to go back and refill the hole that you should have filled with a prior selection is a never ending cycle. I still don't understand Nix's trade up maneuver to take T.J. Graham? You know that I am a big Spiller fan. I am constantly chastising you whenever you bring up the Spiller selection. But not entertaining trade offers for more picks was inexcuasable, especially since we were already well stocked at the position. There is little creativity coming out of this outdated franchise. It just keeps plodding along at its very slow pace while the competition runs past us kicking up the dirt in our sullen faces. :sick:

I understand all of your points John and we're not really at odds here.

Our discussion is taking place in a maelstrom of hypotheticals.

What I'm saying concretely is that I'd rather the Bills draft Von Miller or Aldon Smith than Christian Ponder, Jake Locker, or Blaine Gabbert.

The heart of the matter is how well can this front office evaluate players. No matter how good Von Miller or Aldon Smith is if the Bills come up with a qb prospect comparable to Kaepernick or Wilson the homerun hit on the qb position will have a greater impact than a hit on a terrific defensive player.

We are not really in disagreement here. We are both trying to bolster the roster but taking a slightly different road to the same destination. My more urgent approach to filling the qb position comes from the acknowledgement that there takes more time to develop the qp prospect than it does for most other positions. The process won't start until we get that caliber of qb prospect on the roster. Isn't a generation of waiting enough?

The critical issue for the Bills isn't who is the first or second or third rated qb. The substative issue is can you come up with a qb that suits your needs and system. The qb who many might rank as the best might not be the best qb for your system. Russell Wilson and Kaepernick were not considered to be ranked at the top of their qb draft class. Yet, they thrived for the teams that selected them.

Would I be willing to draft an elite pass rusher if it meant that we missed on "our" qb? For me the answer is no. I blame Buddy Nix for putting this team in a position where it desperately needs a franchise qb. If the front office felt that they could find their "prospect" in the second round then I would be agreeable to an alternative drafting sequence. But in that type of scenario I would prefer trading down and still make it a priority to get our qb in a lower first round slot.

I disagree with the view that this year is lacking in high quality qb prospects. Tyler Wilson is my favorite qb but there are other good candidates such as Smith and Barkley who would be good selections. Getting a prospect on the roster is an imperative for this team. Until that position is upgraded the cycle of mediocrity will continue to grind on.

Why are you blaming Buddy Nix for our problem at QB? Buddy didn't trade away multiple of 1st rd picks for the likes of Bledsoe and JP Losman. If anyone's to blame it should be Tom Donahoe!