Django Unchained

PaattMaann

did anyone else see this gem of a movie?

I dont consider myself a Tarantino lover, I think most of his movies are solid, and some spectacular....but I was not even planning on seeing this movie in theaters until a friend told me "I must" - I went on MLK JR day and all I can say is....holy ****!!!! what a masterpiece

The acting was out of this world by literally EVERY character, the cinematography was beyond quality, and the music made the movie...Tarantino/whoever did the music seemed to know exactly which song would perfectly fit the mood (create the mood) of characters and scenes, one extended scene of James Brown/Tupac mashup was incredible.....the use of rap in a couple of scenes was badassery to the max...

I will stop gushing now, but if anyone else saw this, what did you think? I cannot wait until this is released on DVD

Anyone catch the Pulp Fiction reference?

????

You mean other than the fact that both were done by Tarantino? Both are very similar as are all his movies? Or was there something different you were talking about?

Honestly, IMO it was very close to Inglorious Bastards. Oh wait.

????

You mean other than the fact that both were done by Tarantino? Both are very similar as are all his movies? Or was there something different you were talking about?

Honestly, IMO it was very close to Inglorious Bastards. Oh wait.

Tarantino's films all tie-in together much more than that....

By now, most Quentin Tarantino fans are aware of the connections interlaced throughout all of his films. John Travolta’s Vincent Vega in Pulp Fiction is the brother of Michael Madsen’s Vic Vega in Reservoir Dogs, Harvey Keitel’s Mr. White worked with Alabama from True Romance, the plot basis for Kill Bill is described as the synopsis for a TV series in Pulp Fiction, etc.

Now the epiphany that Eli Roth’s character of Donny Donowitz aka “The Bear Jew” in Inglourious Basterds is the father of the movie producer Lee Donowitz in True Romance has inspired a truly mind-blowing theory that the rest of the films (chronologically speaking) in Tarantino’s filmography take place in a world where [Inglorious Basterds spoiler] World War II came to an end when Adolf Hitler was brutally murdered in a movie theater by the Basterds.

This initial connection was brought up in an article on Cracked, but a poster on Reddit (via David Chen’s Twitter) has more eloquently summed up what this means for Tarantino’s movieverse:

As it turns out, Donny Donowitz, ‘The Bear Jew’, is the father of movie producer Lee Donowitz from True Romance – which means that, in Tarantino’s universe, everybody grew up learning about how a bunch of commando Jews machine gunned Hitler to death in a burning movie theater, as opposed to quietly killing himself in a bunker.

Because World War 2 ended in a movie theater, everybody lends greater significance to pop culture, hence why seemingly everybody has Abed-level knowledge of movies and TV. Likewise, because America won World War 2 in one concentrated act of hyperviolent slaughter, Americans as a whole are more desensitized to that sort of thing. Hence why Butch is unfazed by killing two people, Mr. White and Mr. Pink take a pragmatic approach to killing in their line of work, Esmerelda the cab driver is obsessed with death, etc. You can extrapolate this further when you realize that Tarantino’s movies are technically two universes – he’s gone on record as saying that Kill Bill and From Dusk ‘Til Dawn take place in a ‘movie movie universe’; that is, they’re movies that characters from the Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, True Romance, and Death Proof universe would go to see in theaters. (Kill Bill, after all, is basically Fox Force Five, right on down to Mia Wallace playing the title role.)

What immediately springs to mind about Kill Bill and From Dusk ‘Til Dawn? That they’re crazy violent, even by Tarantino standards. These are the movies produced in a world where America’s crowning victory was locking a bunch of people in a movie theater and blowing it to bits – and keep in mind, Lee Donowitz, son of one of the people on the suicide mission to kill Hitler, is a very successful movie producer.

Basically, it turns every Tarantino movie into alternate reality sci fi. I love it so hard.

Django is set in this same universe. It was a small reference that took some internet nerds to figure out what the very hidden connection was...

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/952727/thumbs/o-DJANGO-UNCHAINED-PULP-FICTION-facebook.jpg

Edited by DrDareustein

Tarantino's films all tie-in together much more than that....

Django is set in this same universe. It was a small reference that took some internet nerds to figure out what the very hidden connection was...

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/952727/thumbs/o-DJANGO-UNCHAINED-PULP-FICTION-facebook.jpg

thank you for that. I had absolutely no idea.

Sorry for my previous @$$holish post.

Pretty cool though, isnt it? I've always been a fan of Tarantino's movies, and then when you read stuff like this, it makes them even better.

This doesnt hurt either :thumbsup: : http://i.imgur.com/cQNCqsd.jpg

lol.

I always thought they were just strangely similar. Never actually thought they were linked.

Of course he loves using the same actors over and over again, which I love.

Christoph Waltz might be the most hilarious actors in Inglourious Bastards that I've ever seen. He was also very impressive in Django.

Not sure if he's been in any other Tarantino movies but I hope he is in more in the future.

Also would like to see Brad Pitt in some more as well.

I was repping this movie here back in September. I figured that Tarrantino, with the topic of slavery, and considering how he likes to play in the realm of the ahistorical and the anachronistic, would make a good show.

I was trying to pick between this movie, Zero Dark 30, and Argo for this weekend. Maybe I will go with this one.

I want to see both Zero and Argo - have heard amazing things about both - however I would go with Django because I KNOW how awesome it was..although im sure all three are worth the admission (and thats saying something these days in theatre)

I thought Argo was full of suspence and anything but boring. But to each their own...

and I fell asleep for the first time ever in a movie theatre while watching. Was during the first half and I will admit that the 2nd half was much more exciting.

I don't have any desire to see Django. I like Tarantino, but the previews and what I've read don't interest me. The tone of it just seems like a very awkward fit to the subject matter. I'll probably end up seeing it on cable at some point. Maybe I'll change my mind.

You will.