Russ Brandon at the Senior Bowl

So, as a NFL prospect, the opportunity to meet an NFL team president wouldn't be cool for you?

As a Bills scout, knowing the game is important enough for the top man to attend doesn't make you work that much harder? Or feel good about management's commitment to making this week an important one for the organization?

To me, his presense sends a big signal that the Bills are serious about making the team better.

But carry on with the typical TSW nabbob-ism if it makes you feel more comfortable...

+10

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you people stick up for this guy? He has his fingerprints all over this organization over the last 10 years. It's one of the worst organizations in all of professional sports. The only goal of the fan base is to simply make it to the playoffs. What am I missing here?

Because RussBrandon never hired a coach or drafted anyone until 10 days ago.

He is not responsible for the Bills difficulties prior to that time.

Saying he had his 'fingerprints' all over is B.S. He got tired of losing and now is trying to educate himself about scouting. I'm down with that. If I was in his position, I'd be there too.

Why do you people stick up for this guy? He has his fingerprints all over this organization over the last 10 years. It's one of the worst organizations in all of professional sports. The only goal of the fan base is to simply make it to the playoffs. What am I missing here?

It's not sticking up for him. Many of us are tired of dealing with you during that time of the month which seems to every day for some of you.

Why would anyone think Brandon will not be involved in picking players in the draft? I don't get it.

A movie is being made. The studio is spending hundreds of millions on the movie. They are trying to find a female co-star to play in the movie. The writer, director, main producer, casting director, and major star of the movie are watching actresses audition. It's one person's job to pick the co-star (depending on the movie, it may be the director, it may be the producer). He or she is going to make the final say. There is no real reason for the writer to be there, he has no real say at all in the choice. But he has an opinion on things, he knows something about the movie, and his colleagues may say, well, what is your 2 cents?

He's not making any decisions. He just has an opinion the one who actually is in charge of making the choice is going to listen to, assign very little weight to, and make his or her own decision.

There is no reason to believe that Brandon will be making any decisions or having any significant say in who the Bills draft. Is Buddy Nix or Doug Whaley going to ask Brandon what he thinks about Ryan Nassib or Geno Smith? Of course they are.

I realize in my hypothetical the writer is lowly and Russ Brandon is team president and CEO, but it's the same thing. He has no real say, he's going to have an opinion.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

I'm sorry for starting this tread as you guys have shown me the light. I'm glad Russ Brandon is our CEO and he is clearly the "greatest hire/promotion since Bill Polian." (Yes, someone actually formulated that thought) We are finally on the right path and Russ, Jeffrey Littman and Ralph will take us there as their track record indicates they have in the past.

I am a fan of the Bills, I want the Bills to succeed. I am not a fan of losing and I have no faith in the decision makers within this organization.

OK so you are into pain.....dont make that our problem

I'm sorry for starting this tread as you guys have shown me the light. I'm glad Russ Brandon is our CEO and he is clearly the "greatest hire/promotion since Bill Polian." (Yes, someone actually formulated that thought) We are finally on the right path and Russ, Jeffrey Littman and Ralph will take us there as their track record indicates they have in the past.

I am a fan of the Bills, I want the Bills to succeed. I am not a fan of losing and I have no faith in the decision makers within this organization.

Ok, I guess that I should respond to this. I can't think of one hire or promotion in between Polian and now that was bigger or better than this one with Brandon. Let's see, Tom Donahoe, Greg Williams, Wade Phillips, Dick Jauron, Mike Mularkey, Chan Gailey or even Marv Levy bigger or better than this promotion? I think not. John Butler is the only other name or person that even threatens my statement and he had a penchant for being too loyal to "his guys". No, I stand by what I said, I like Brandon's commitment and enthusiasm. I believe that now that Mr. Wilson is out of the way Russ Brandon will be motivated to provide the best product that money and research can provide. Brandon is a regional guy and it shows, especially by the personnel that he is accumulating. Would you rather have an "outsider" come in here to try and resurrect this franchise, someone who has no ties, understanding of not only of this franchise but of the region also? One who has not been involved one iota with this franchise the last umpteen years??! I would think not. Don't be a hater, give this guy a full chance, I believe that you will be pleasantly surprised.

Maybe he just is excited about new role and is taking this thing seriuosly and wants to learn as much as he can from a scouts viewpoint and be thier to offer his support to the coach and gm tandom. Think it is a good idea. Would rather have him there trying than sitting in his office playing with that desk toy that you let go of one silver ball and it slams into the other ones continuosly. I am liking that fact that he isn't leaving a stone unturned.!!

Not true.

Russ was considered the "GM" of this team during the 2009 offseason.

Serious question, sorry I can't really recall. Was he responsible for the 09 draft or was that before he took over? Because, besides Maybin, that was our most successful recent draft class (Wood, Levitre, Byrd).

Serious question, sorry I can't really recall. Was he responsible for the 09 draft or was that before he took over? Because, besides Maybin, that was our most successful recent draft class (Wood, Levitre, Byrd).

The Bills had an unclear structure after Levy stepped down. Levy was reported to be more of a figurehead anyway, so when he parachuted out the back of the plane, Brandon had the GM of Football title appended to his name. I know Brandon was involved in the talent side of the organization. He was scouting players at the combine in Indianapolis, for example. Brandon, Modrak, and Jauron were all involved. For what it's worth: Jauron was the first to get fired and Photoshopped out of history, Brandon was right on his heels and soon to get stripped of his football duties by Ralph Wilson and promoted out of the way, and finally Modrak held on a bit longer but was sent packing by Nix. So, while I agree that draft class was one of the best of the Modrak era, everyone involved in the Aaron Maybin selection got burned to some degree.