Tom Brady's Sissy Kick

This will surprise no one, but not a single media outlet in Boston is talking about it today.

There's a post on "Business Insider" which is likely written by a Patriots shill, which calls Ravens Pollard "ironic" for ripping Brady for the kick and posits "it seems like a silly thing to get mad about".

Um, no, Tony Manfred, it doesn't actually, especially when you see the whole slide in slow mo and see that Brady starts his slide by bringing his knees together, sees Reed coming, and appears to deliberately first raise, then completely extend one leg - in the direction of Reed's knee

If that's not a fine on Marcia, the NFL brass should stand up before the Superbowl and publically announce it has a double standard.

I suspect it was discussed at halftime and was of assistance to the Ravens in firing them up to whip Brady's a**

Edited by Hopeful

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that I can see the play again, I can definitely see grounds to call out Brady for a penalty. I don't think it would have done much as to how the game played out, but it still does piss me off that Brady never does seem to have anything negative stick to him.

If you whiff him immediately after he's thrown the ball, it's a roughing the passer. When he kicks someone, he's defending himself.

I can remember when he first came back from injury in the 2009 opener. When we were getting pressure and running the ball well the talk was not about how well the Bills were playing it was how poorly Brady was. When he got better, the announcers immediately jumped back on the wagon. After he threw 4 INTs in his loss to the Bills two years ago the talking heads went on about how he didn't "play bad" and that he was just "unlucky".

In the pregame one of the guys (can't remember who) declared Brady the best QB ever. Now, as much as I bitterly hate the man, I have to admit he's good. But better than Joe Montanna? Better than Aaron Rodgers, Brett Farve, Drew Brees, and the Mannings? Maybe, but they constantly put him on a pedestal.

Think people are overreacting here. He had a 300 pound monster barreling in on him. The chance of him getting seriously hurt from that move was substantially higher than the defender.

Ed Reed is most definitely not a 300 lb monster. He's the guy Marcia was targeting.

Think people are overreacting here. He had a 300 pound monster barreling in on him. The chance of him getting seriously hurt from that move was substantially higher than the defender.

Going for a planted knee on a sliding kick puts a large amount of momentum at a single point end while aiming for a vulnerable spot. Kicking out someone's knee of the ground is a serious self-defense move. If it connected it could have done serious harm.

Edited by Whitewalker Merriman

wait, did I miss bong hits?!?!

Missed the free beer in another thread.. now I missed the bong hits..

For the record.. It definitely appears that Brady tried to kick Reed. It would be awesome if he got fined, but I won't hold my breath.

Edited by MarkinSanDiego

I know I know ... seems like unsportmanlike conduct, but you are right, not technically a penalty.

Yeah but if he contacted Reed's groin like he was trying to, or close to doing, it would certainly constitute unsportsmanlike conduct. Wasn't a huge deal made about a certain Lions DT for kicking Schaub in the groin????

Put it this way: In all of the years since the NFL put that slide rule in, have you ever seen a QB kick his leg up like that while already pretty much on the ground? I assume it has happened but I can't remember one. And second, should we just ignore the circumstances of when that play happened and just write it off as coincidence? Brady was frustrated by the call several plays earlier when he was ruled down, he was frustrated by the Ravens defense, and he was CLEARLY frustrated by both trying that run and the way the first half ended because of it. That can't be ignored. It didn't happen in a vacuum. IMO he was more pissed at himself than anything else, throwing a hissy fit because he knew it was a stupid thing to do.

Put it this way: In all of the years since the NFL put that slide rule in, have you ever seen a QB kick his leg up like that while already pretty much on the ground? I assume it has happened but I can't remember one. And second, should we just ignore the circumstances of when that play happened and just write it off as coincidence? Brady was frustrated by the call several plays earlier when he was ruled down, he was frustrated by the Ravens defense, and he was CLEARLY frustrated by both trying that run and the way the first half ended because of it. That can't be ignored. It didn't happen in a vacuum. IMO he was more pissed at himself than anything else, throwing a hissy fit because he knew it was a stupid thing to do.

Yea I've been trying to think of a comp point. I've seen legs get high before but I don't know if they both got that high and connected with something.... It was definitely a ridiculous move by Brady - not trying to absolve him when I've pushed back some.... I'm just not sure if how this gets handled will actually be outside the norm or precedent as I'm not sure what the norm would be without a solid comp point or two.

For those linking the kick rules - kind enough to link the qb slide section? I'm on my phone and don't want to scan the rule book.

Now that I can see the play again, I can definitely see grounds to call out Brady for a penalty. I don't think it would have done much as to how the game played out, but it still does piss me off that Brady never does seem to have anything negative stick to him.

If you whiff him immediately after he's thrown the ball, it's a roughing the passer. When he kicks someone, he's defending himself.

I can remember when he first came back from injury in the 2009 opener. When we were getting pressure and running the ball well the talk was not about how well the Bills were playing it was how poorly Brady was. When he got better, the announcers immediately jumped back on the wagon. After he threw 4 INTs in his loss to the Bills two years ago the talking heads went on about how he didn't "play bad" and that he was just "unlucky".

In the pregame one of the guys (can't remember who) declared Brady the best QB ever. Now, as much as I bitterly hate the man, I have to admit he's good. But better than Joe Montanna? Better than Aaron Rodgers, Brett Farve, Drew Brees, and the Mannings? Maybe, but they constantly put him on a pedestal.

Oh, you forgot when he fumbles the ball he is tucking the ball.

taking it to extremes? did you even read the piece i linked? scalia really believes the second amendment, in todays world, is still about forming a miltia so that a recurrence of 17th century english tyranny can't happen again (while admitting that small arms are unlikely to accomplish much in the way of change of a modern government). this is just ridiculous, as the writer points out. democracies, in the modern world, are almost never overturned through force. armed regime change hasn't recently happened through small arms but through powerful military weapons provided by sympathetic superpowers. yet scalia gets bogged down by the word "bear" to define what arms should be available to the public. joking or not, discussing the legality of shoulder fired weapons that can bring down planes on fox news is extreme...especially for a supreme court justice.

kind of an odd place to find this http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/21/tom-brady-slide-patriots-qb-kick_n_2520080.html but 70% of readers thought it was a dirty play (the other 30% are presumably from new england). the gif on the link is telling. that kick was meant to steal reeds family jewels and almost did. pretty acobatic jump from reed to save his prospects at future fatherhood.

Edited by birdog1960

Yea I've been trying to think of a comp point. I've seen legs get high before but I don't know if they both got that high and connected with something.... It was definitely a ridiculous move by Brady - not trying to absolve him when I've pushed back some.... I'm just not sure if how this gets handled will actually be outside the norm or precedent as I'm not sure what the norm would be without a solid comp point or two.

For those linking the kick rules - kind enough to link the qb slide section? I'm on my phone and don't want to scan the rule book.

Best I can find. http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/10_2012_BallInPlay_DeadBall_Scrimm.pdf

Sliding refers to all players no just QB's.

What ever Reed's weight, he was barreling right at Brady. A collision, IMO, would have hurt Brady more than Reed. It was more stupid than dirty. That's my point.

The only reason you slide is to avoid being hit. It's VERY rare that a defensive player just ignores the slide and drills the QB. And it certainly isn't going to happen by Ed Reed at the 10 yard line with a few seconds to go and no timeouts. There was pretty much zero chance of Brady being hit as soon as he started the slide. The slide is his defense against injury. There is no reason to put your foot up AND kick outward, twice bringing your leg higher rather than lower.That safety explanation just doesn't hold water IMO.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Article 1: Prohibited Acts. There shall be no unsportsmanlike conduct. This applies to any act which is contrary to the generally understood principles of sportsmanship. Such acts specifically include, among others:

(a) Throwing a punch, or a forearm, or kicking at an opponent, even though no contact is made.

Maybe my first post including all "Prohibited Acts" was too long.

This is from the NFL Rule Book. Go back and watch the replay! Brady tried to kick Reed. It is an Unsportsmanlike conduct and thus an obvious penalty.

What ever Reed's weight, he was barreling right at Brady. A collision, IMO, would have hurt Brady more than Reed. It was more stupid than dirty. That's my point.

We all get your point, it's just wrong. He tried and failed to make contact and tried to get him a second time as Reed jumped over the initial kick. Fact is in order to actually protect himself his body would have gone into a fetal position type of slide naturally.

Edited by Chimp