could we sign TE Gates????

ch19079

i like campbel, but A. Gates is a ERFA, so if the chargers dont pay him the cash hes a FA. could you imagin our Offense with him at TE.

Campbel gets 3 cetches a game or less, but Gates is a beast. and a great target for JP, and could be the base mismatch for our Offense.

i dont think anyone has braught this up, but who knows

what do you think??

the link to where it says hes a ERFA:

http://www.theredzone.org/2005/freeagents/...asp?Position=TE

i like campbel, but A. Gates is a ERFA, so if the chargers dont pay him the cash hes a FA. could you imagin our Offense with him at TE.

Campbel gets 3 cetches a game or less, but Gates is a beast. and a great target for JP, and could be the base mismatch for our Offense.

what do you think??

195471[/snapback]

Gates came out of nowhere and I'd love to have him, but there is not a snowballs chance in hell of the Chargers letting him go.

Gates came out of nowhere and I'd love to have him, but there is not a snowballs chance in hell of the Chargers letting him go.

195474[/snapback]

Im sure SD will be able to outbid other teams, given their cap situation.

But they will probably franchise Brees meaning they cannot franchise Gates, so who knows.

He is not the type of TE that we need anyway.....

Like I said yesterday....if we are going to make a move and put a inexperienced but talented rookie QB behind center....then we need to make this a offense that showcases Willis Magehee and gives him every chance to succeed.....

This needs we need a Quality Tight end that is as good a blocker as is a passer......

To me....Bubba Franks or Freddie Jones looks like the right fit

We dont need Gates....Euhus can fill that role

He is not the type of TE that we need anyway.....

This needs we need a Quality Tight end that is as good a blocker as is a passer......

To me....Bubba Franks or Freddie Jones looks like the right fit

We dont need Gates....Euhus can fill that role

195600[/snapback]

a great cetching TE is a QBs best friend. and setup serious mismatches on D making it easier on the QB.

we could go 2 WR, 2TE sets and have the option to run or pass.

how many times have defenses sayed up late preparing a way to eliminate Euhus from the offense???

I think you are missing my point......

Of course we need a TE that can stretch the field and catch.....BUT....we in the offense that is going to have to be put on the field to dominate in the running game and protect a rookie QB....you NEED a masher who is going to block well for the run.....

Gates....while a superb athlete..is undersized against the run. he is more like a Shannon Sharp H-back type and does not have the physical size to be a great run blocker......

And Euhus....while young and unproven...is a excellent athlete having played basketball as well....who can fill that "pass catching TE" role for us when we go to 2 tight ends....

That is all I am trying to say

what do you think??

195471[/snapback]

In a perfect world, or in madden. But thats about it. IF they let gates go I'm a monkey's uncle.

As previously stated, he is an exclusive rights free agent, meaning all the Chargers have to do is make a qualifying offer to retain him. There can be no bidding war, his rights belong solely to the Chargers-- they are free to offer him whatever they'd like, even a minimum salary. I'd imagine, however, that they'll lock him up longer term, keeping him from the restricted free agent market he'd enter next year-- where teams could tender him offers, and only have to offer a compensatory pick in exchange, likely a low-yield draft pick.

As previously stated, he is an exclusive rights free agent, meaning all the Chargers have to do is make a qualifying offer to retain him.  There can be no bidding war, his rights belong solely to the Chargers-- they are free to offer him whatever they'd like, even a minimum salary.  I'd imagine, however, that they'll lock him up longer term, keeping him from the restricted free agent market he'd enter next year-- where teams could tender him offers, and only have to offer a compensatory pick in exchange, likely a low-yield draft pick.

196298[/snapback]

in the restricted free agent market, the pick that a team recieves as compensation is directly proportional to the tender offer issued by the club to the restricted player. For example, a few years ago, the Redskins decided to sign laverneous coles, who was a RFA, so they had to give up their 1st round pick becuase the Jets had tendered an offer of either 1.3 or 1.75 million(cant remember how it goes exactly)