OT - Computer help

EZC-Boston

Does anybody know why, when I go to a site like this:

http://weather.boston.com/

I can't get video, I get sound fine, but just the wavy lines like you would get if you were listening to a CD or something. 

TIA

195453[/snapback]

You don't have the right video codec (it works fine for me). Not sure what codec they're using; perhaps upgrade your version of Media Player?

CW

You don't have the right video codec (it works fine for me).  Not sure what codec they're using; perhaps upgrade your version of Media Player?

CW

195464[/snapback]

not sure that's an option i'm at work right now...hmmmm is there a way to install the right codec or all codecs? I never understood these...

not sure that's an option i'm at work right now...hmmmm is there a way to install the right codec or all codecs?  I never understood these...

195475[/snapback]

In IE go to Tools-->Windows Update and scan your system for updates. The Media Player updates are listed under the non-critical updates. Hopefully that works.

Might as well install any security updates while you're at it. :)

Is that a part of windows media player or stand alone player?

195476[/snapback]

DivX works more like a 3rd party plugin. If upgrading media player doesn't fix the issue, usually installing the DivX codec will. You can go to the DivX website and download the codec for free.