100,000 Jeeps to be made in CHINA in 2014

Nanker

In case you don't remember the, "Lie of the Year!":

"
It was a lie told
in the critical state of Ohio in the final days of a close campaign -- that Jeep was moving its U.S. production to China. It originated with a conservative blogger, who twisted an accurate news story into a falsehood. Then it picked up steam when the Drudge Report ran with it. Even though Jeep's parent company gave a quick and clear denial, Mitt Romney repeated it and his campaign turned it into a TV ad.

And they stood by the claim, even as the media and the public expressed collective outrage against something so obviously false."

Right. Fiat announced that it's US operation Chrysler will produce at least 100,000 Jeeps in CHINA in 2014.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-10-21/fiat-says-china-may-build-all-jeep-models-as-suv-demand-climbs.html

It'll be a while until we see how it all plays out, but for now, the plan is to merely ADD a factory in China to compensate for a growing Jeep demand and sales plan in the Asian market.

The "Lie of the Year" was that Jeep was going to move their production out of Ohio and to China. As of now, the plan is to keep those factories open.

Big difference between "moving US production to China" and just adding a single factory to address the local demands.

How was their any confusion then, or now, over this? lol

Most Jeep lines have only been built in the USA and been exported. Now there will be manufacturing of all lines outside of the USA. This does not necessarily mean that there will be layoffs here, but it will take away from jobs that would be created here. Understanding that the American taxpayer bailed out Chrysler, doesn't it stand to reason there should be a little consternation over this? I know that you will see my point because you are a believer in "jobs saved and created".

Most Jeep lines have only been built in the USA and been exported. Now there will be manufacturing of all lines outside of the USA. This does not necessarily mean that there will be layoffs here, but it will take away from jobs that would be created here. Understanding that the American taxpayer bailed out Chrysler, doesn't it stand to reason there should be a little consternation over this? I know that you will see my point because you are a believer in "jobs saved and created".

Of course I would love to see the jobs expanding here. That has little to do with Nanker's nonsensical topic.

Romney's ads were retarded. And not true. Therefore...Nanker's topic is retarded.

Can't let go of the partisan hack thing, can you? You support the most partisan hack that we've ever had as a president. The sad thing is that he has no understanding of this country and its history. Now, because he's put together a freaky coalition he's been able to win the race. Too bad, after 4 years in office he still hasn't figured out that governing is different than ruling.

Edited by 3rdnlng

PolitiFact Concedes Their 'Lie of the Year' is the 'Literal Truth'

Earlier today, I wrote a lengthy critique pointing out the inconvenient fact that PolitiFact's Lie of the Year -- "The Romney campaign's ad on Jeeps made in China" -- turns out to be true. It involves a lot of complicated back and forth, so I encouage you to read that post if you're not familiar with what's going on. But the thrust of the matter is that the Romney campaign ran an ad saying that Jeep, the recipient of a taxpayer bailout, was going to start producing cars in China. Well, now PolitiFact has responded to my criticism, albeit obliquely, and their response leaves a lot to be desired:

Our story focused on the
clear message
of the Romney campaign’s ad, that jobs in the United States were being moved to China,
or
perhaps
that Jeep was moving its entire operations to China. That is not the case and has never been the case.

Emphasis added. Now if the message of the ad was "clear," why does PolitiFact say "perhaps" the ad meant to say "Jeep was moving its entire operations to China"? The ad,

, NEVER said that Jeep was moving U.S. jobs to China, let alone its entire operations to China. All the ad says, and this is correct, is that the Obama administration played a hand in selling Chrysler to "Italians who are going to build Jeeps in China." In fact, later in PolitiFact's response they make this concession:

The Romney campaign was
crafty with its word choice
, so campaign aides could
claim to be speaking the literal truth
, but the ad left a false impression that all Jeep production was being moved to China.

snip}

Yet, PolitiFact still insists that they can divine a "clear message" from the Romney campaign ad and flatly state the purpose of the ad was to communicate something it doesn't say. PolitiFact's interpretation is directly contravened by the fact the campaign explicitly spelled out the precise nature of their issue with Jeep, which happens to dovetail nicely with what the campaign ad did, in fact, say. They said it was objectionable that Jeep wasn't prioritizing job creation in the U.S.—not that they were accusing Jeep of supplanting American jobs with jobs in China. Those are two very different things.

PolitiFact may disagree with Romney's ad, but they have no real basis to say it's deliberately deceptive -- let alone "Lie of the Year." Tellingly, after conceding Romney's ad was the "literal truth," PolitiFact's response doesn't address any of my substantive criticisms, largely restates what they've previously written on the topic, and asserts that they're justified in sticking with their claim Romney was deliberately deceptive only by citing other fact checkers who—surprise!—came to similar conclusions. They also add, "We found no independent experts who would agree with that claim; they too found the ad deceptive." However, being that PolitiFact seems thoroughly confused and/or wrong about the exact claim the Romney campaign was making, I wouldn't put too much faith in their efforts here.

PolitiFact has a reputation for alternately being unresponsive or inadequately responding to criticisms. And they haven't done anything to remedy that today.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/politifact-admits-their-lie-year-literal-truth_696336.html

Meanwhile, the 2011 “Lie Of The Year” is still a lie and will likely be used again.

Can't let go of the partisan hack thing, can you? You support the most partisan hack that we've ever had as a president. The sad thing is that he has no understanding of this country and its history. Now, because he's put together a freaky coalition he's been able to win the race. Too bad, after 4 years in office he still hasn't figured out that governing is different ruling.

I'm sorry Mitt Romney was the alternative to Obama and lost by a lot. I'm sorry you hate Obama so much. Either way...this is a stupid topic.

B-Man you do realize Romney was "literally" stumping around Ohio saying Jeep was moving all manufacturing jobs to China, correct?

EDIT: Ahem...or at least that "he read an article saying" that...and he felt it should be shared...hehe...

Edited by SameOldBills

B-Man you do realize Romney was "literally" stumping around Ohio saying Jeep was moving all manufacturing jobs to China, correct?

EDIT: Ahem...or at least that "he read an article saying" that...and he felt it should be shared...hehe...

So if he did read an article saying that and shared the information, was it a big lie?

Not crusading just saying this topic...is retarded.

The point of Romney's ad was that high labour costs in the US was pushing companies to go to cheaper labour markets such as China . If you think they are going to move some production there for any reason other than that, then yes you have been drinking.

I personally don't give a !@#$ either way what Chrysler does but your taxpayer dollars is creating growth in a foreign market.