Franch Reich: Chargers QB Coach

Reich was just hired by the Chargers to be their new QB Coach and work with Philip Rivers.

http://profootballta...-staff/related/

I would have been happier if the Bills had hired him. Given Hackett's miniscule NFL experience, I'm not thrilled that he's doubling as OC and QB Coach. Reich's experience could have been a great addition.

I'm okay with Hackett - despite his inexperience - being the OC because I'm trusting Marrone to mentor him.

However, double-duty is a lot for a new, young coordinator.

Someone like Frank Reich would have added some seasoned experienced, provided good advice and taken some of the load off Hackett.

For the sake of argument, let's say we start a rookie at QB next year. Can Hackett develop the young kid's skills and NFL know-how while trying to outwit the likes of Bill Belichick in a game of X's and O's?

Given Hackett's miniscule NFL experience, I'm not thrilled that he's doubling as OC and QB Coach.

Considering Marrone's expected fingerprints all over the offense you could just as easily view them as co-coordinators. Sort of like Chan Gailey 'light' with a bit more emphasis on being the overall coach. Hence, Hackett will have a bit more help from the head coach than Pettine will likely get/need. Just a thought.

What's our evidence Frank Reich is an effective QB coach? And similarly, what's our evidence Nathaniel Hackett is NOT an effective QB coach?

what's our evidence that anyone is an effective coach? I mean, you could argue that Bellichick is a bad coach, and wins because he has a HOF QB.

It's all subjective guesswork.

What I do know is that if I am Frank Reich, this is a dream job-- living in sunny SD with a vet QB who has had a great track record in the past. It's a nice gig.

Considering Marrone's expected fingerprints all over the offense you could just as easily view them as co-coordinators. Sort of like Chan Gailey 'light' with a bit more emphasis on being the overall coach. Hence, Hackett will have a bit more help from the head coach than Pettine will likely get/need. Just a thought.

I agree that Hackett will be getting a lot of help from Marrone. But Marrone says he sees himself as the "CEO" of the Bills, meaning he'll spend significant time with the D and ST.

Lots of OC's work 12/14/16 hour days. It's a labor-intensive job. We have a rookie coach doing OC duties and the QB Coach job at the same time. Seemingly, something is being sacrificed.

Maybe Marrone sees the QB Coach position as superfluous or perhaps even counter-productive (if the QB Coach isn't 100% in synch with OC).

I'm okay with Hackett - despite his inexperience - being the OC because I'm trusting Marrone to mentor him.

However, double-duty is a lot for a new, young coordinator.

Someone like Frank Reich would have added some seasoned experienced, provided good advice and taken some of the load off Hackett.

For the sake of argument, let's say we start a rookie at QB next year. Can Hackett develop the young kid's skills and NFL know-how while trying to outwit the likes of Bill Belichick in a game of X's and O's?

Not really. The QB coach breaks down the film and works talks the QB through progressions for plays and such. Since he will be watching film anyway, I think he can pull it off

What's our evidence Frank Reich is an effective QB coach? And similarly, what's our evidence Nathaniel Hackett is NOT an effective QB coach?

We've heard of him

This may just work.....if Shawn Payton is the one actually calling the offense.