Cardinals Hire Bruce Arians as New Head Coach

Ray is a lose cannon lets be honest, Romeo a complete disaster, Lovey one playoff appearance the last 6 years and back to back callapses.

There are good minority coaches, but look at us (bills fans) a lot of us wanted a retread, likely to be white.

Always seems to be the offensive hire, black coaches who are offensive coordinators is where to start.

@ProFootballWkly

RT @Cardschatter: Bruce Arians and @azcardinals agree to 4-yr contract making Arians new head coach. Team option for 5th year.

Another former Steeler OC.

@ProFootballTalk

Ray Horton out, Todd Bowles in as Cardinals defensive coordinator, per @MikeSilver http://wp.me/p14QSB-6UgI

I feel bad for Ray. May be he gets the DC gig in Philadelphia or Jacksonville.

This would be a coup for Cleveland, although one has to assume he won't be long for the DC job if he continues getting HC'ing interviews:

Jason La Canfora@JasonLaCanfora

Just going to reiterate what I first reported earlier tonight. still sounds like Todd Bowles ends up in AZ and Ray Horton ends up in CLE

Edited by Punch

@AdamSchefter

After Lovie Smith, Romeo Crennel and six other were fired, there eight HC jobs filled. Not one hire was a minority.

Not exactly shocking news to me.

Yep everyone is racist. Has nothing to do with most of the hirings being offensive coaches. Another trend in this copy cat league. Oh wait, I forgot racism. Racism and hiring offensive coaches are the new thing now. Shocking, right?

Yep everyone is racist. Has nothing to do with most of the hirings being offensive coaches. Another trend in this copy cat league. Oh wait, I forgot racism. Racism and hiring offensive coaches are the new thing now. Shocking, right?

It is instituional racism. There is only one black OC in the league, Jim Caldwell. When minorities can't even get coordinator jobs that then in turn give them HC opportunities then yes it is institutional racism.

What is even more ludicrous is Todd Bowles getting the DC spot in Arizona. The Eagels defense was awful all year even after he took over mid-season. Mr. Horton just got screwed. Hell I would hire him as assistant head coach, defensive consultant for a year in Buffalo.

It is instituional racism. There is only one black OC in the league, Jim Caldwell. When minorities can't even get coordinator jobs that then in turn give them HC opportunities then yes it is institutional racism.

What is even more ludicrous is Todd Bowles getting the DC spot in Arizona. The Eagels defense was awful all year even after he took over mid-season. Mr. Horton just got screwed. Hell I would hire him as assistant head coach, defensive consultant for a year in Buffalo.

http://www.nfl.com/n...s-hired-in-2013

Some people will always respond with a visceral reactionary denial that there's an issue. Professionals within the industry are acknowledging that there is in fact an "institutional" bias that favors white males for HC and GM jobs despite the controversy of the issue.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

WHisenhunt was not the problem in AZ. He was saddled with bad personnel. Kolb was over rated in his brief appearances in Philly and they got duped into trading for him. They used 4 QBs last year. NO team can do well with that. The RBs were banged up and they have below average Offense lineman. All this falls at the feet of the Cardinals GM...and he was fired. Arians gets a team lacking in offensive talent. Good luck to him.

There are 5 black coaches in the NFL right? 2 made the playoffs, one got fired with a 10-6 record, one finished .500 & has won a SB, and one was completely bad. 4 out of 5 over .500 is a pretty damn good ratio. It's also interesting that guys like Chip Kelly are the hot NFL candidates when a guy like Kevin Sumlin maybe had a more impressive year. I don't think it's racism but there definitely is a lack of opportunity given for whatever reason.

For the record, Arians definitely deserves a shot. What he did this year was amazing. It will be interesting to see what he does without Big Ben and Luck and that clusterf in Zona.

There are 5 black coaches in the NFL right? 2 made the playoffs, one got fired with a 10-6 record, one finished .500 & has won a SB, and one was completely bad. 4 out of 5 over .500 is a pretty damn good ratio. It's also interesting that guys like Chip Kelly are the hot NFL candidates when a guy like Kevin Sumlin maybe had a more impressive year. I don't think it's racism but there definitely is a lack of opportunity given for whatever reason.

For the record, Arians definitely deserves a shot. What he did this year was amazing. It will be interesting to see what he does without Big Ben and Luck and that clusterf in Zona.

With regards to Sumlin, he's been a major D1 coach for only a season and I think I read he wasn't interested in the NFL this year. I think he's going to win a national title in the next couple of years and then he will be on everyone's short list.

Charlie Strong was someone I wanted the Bills to go after but he also ruled out the NFL this year.

Lovie would have been hired immediately but his inability to hire any competent offensive coordinators is what held him back I think. Also, his 10-6 record, while good on the surface, was a complete meltdown. They started 7-1 and then Buffaloed the rest of the season. He'd have been fired for the same thing last year but the Bears, while a large market team, have always been frugal, and that would have left them on the hook for around $10m the next two seasons. He will get another shot next year.

I don't think it's institutionalized racism but I'm a complete outsider so it's simply an opinion. I think owners want to make money and most want to win. A smart businessman will hire the person that will make them the most money by turning their team into a winner and skin color shouldn't even matter. It's why I feel the Rooney Rule is insulting to black coaches.