Deadspin: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend Is A Hoax

Punch

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He probably lied about meeting her. He probably didn't want people to think he was some loser with a girlfriend he never even met. Not the biggest deal.

To modern college age students, meeting someone online is "meeting" them. They don't bother saying "I met her online". They just say "I met her".

again, your assumptino is wrong that my profile age is true.

In 2012, are we still debating whether or not it is possible to be hoodwinked by someone with whom we are having an online relationship? The possibility was already common knowledge in 1994, but it's incredibly prevalent now. The hot 18 year old blonde cheerleader with a tan is probably a 300 lb plumber named Jack. It's a cliche, not a shocking development.

I have zero idea. Are there investigators involved or just the media relations department?

I would say anyone involved in the institution is hopeful that there's a logical explanation. Without really knowing, I doubt Manti is being "grilled" by investigators. More likely in my mind is that a lot of "suspension of disbelieve" is being exercised. A lot of people are in denial, hoping that Manti can defend himself with evidence. The school will not lie on his behalf, in my opinion. He released an ambiguous statement.

That's the extent of their involvement as far as I can tell.

My position on this is very simple.

Manti has been seriously damaged both monetarily and from a reputation standpoint.

He can provide basic evidence to clear his name and prove that he was the victim:

Who picked up Lennay's phone and placed it to her ear when she was comatose in the hospital?

Where are the phone records, the emails, the gifts on birthdays and special occasions that you sent "your girlfriend" who is "the most beautiful person you ever met?"

Who told him that she would breathe more quickly when she heard his voice?

What family members of Lennay's did Manti speak with?

Who informed him of her passing?

Who told him of the funeral arrangements?

Where are all these correspondences?

What did Manti base his belief that this was a real person, a girlfriend, with family members?

The guy in the deadspin article claimed to know her, and was friends with teo. That could explain a ton of the outside communication. Add to that the hoaxer could have a dizen profiles abd email addresses to communicate under different names (friends and family to confirm his own stories)

He's also done this to other guys according to his friends....

Notre dame investigators also have said they found chatter pointing towards it being a hoax according to an earlier post (I didn't see there interviews tonight, so that's on a posters word)

I think the hoax is getting firmer and firmer footing with passing time.

Either way Te'o is too stupid to either create this whole thing or being hoaxed into this. The former is more likely though. Anyway, PASS.

That I won't dispute.

Either way he's walking away embarassed, and deservedly so.

In the end, can he catch up with nfl rbs is the most important question though

Edited by NoSaint

I have zero idea. Are there investigators involved or just the media relations department?

I would say anyone involved in the institution is hopeful that there's a logical explanation. Without really knowing, I doubt Manti is being "grilled" by investigators. More likely in my mind is that a lot of "suspension of disbelieve" is being exercised. A lot of people are in denial, hoping that Manti can defend himself with evidence. The school will not lie on his behalf, in my opinion. He released an ambiguous statement.

That's the extent of their involvement as far as I can tell.

Manti has been seriously damaged both monetarily and from a reputation standpoint.

He can provide basic evidence to clear his name and prove that he was the victim:

Who picked up Lennay's phone and placed it to her ear when she was comatose in the hospital?

Where are the phone records, the emails, the gifts on birthdays and special occasions that you sent "your girlfriend" who is "the most beautiful person you ever met?"

Who told him that she would breathe more quickly when she heard his voice?

What family members of Lennay's did Manti speak with?

Who informed him of her passing?

Who told him of the funeral arrangements?

Where are all these correspondences?

What did Manti base his belief that this was a real person, a girlfriend, with family members?

Here's another very basic question one could ask Manti:

Where are the emails and private messages between you and Lennay?

Or do people actually believe that two people who were in a serious romance (his parents thought they might get married) would only communicate publicly on Twitter and Facebook?

In my mind, it will be very easy for Manti to clear himself. Just provide basic evidence.

In 2012, are we still debating whether or not it is possible to be hoodwinked by someone with whom we are having an online relationship? The possibility was already common knowledge in 1994, but it's incredibly prevalent now. The hot 18 year old blonde cheerleader with a tan is probably a 300 lb plumber named Jack. It's a cliche, not a shocking development.

no question about this. The question is more on other stuff which requires real-world involvement, like where Te'o sent the white rose to his girlfriend's funeral, who talks to him every night and stay on the line for 8 hours? who plays "her" brotehr? who plays "her" sister? why Te'o never visit her grave or asks for a photo? why Te'o never vists her when she was in comma and fighting cancer? etc.

Or do people actually believe that two people who were in a serious romance (his parents thought they might get married) would only communicate publicly on Twitter and Facebook?

In my mind, it will be very easy for Manti to clear himself. Just provide basic evidence.

If Manti is lying, Zuckerberg would have outted him by now. They monitor EVERYTHING.

Again, do you think that folks at nd just looked at his twitter account and said "we got your back here" if you want to ask the glaring questions...

Lots of details here

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-74051757/

School hired an investigator that did a full report - released to the family right before the bowl game. Allegedly was set to be released by the family next week.

Edited by NoSaint

It doesn't add up. One of his high school buds is saying Manti made the whole thing up for pub. If that's true, and Manti is claiming he's the victim, then is Manti a pathological liar, sociopath, or both. The media is gonna be all over this one. If he made the whole thing up, he's screwed.

If he has answers to the questions you've outlined, it's likely he's provided them to Notre Dame in December. If Notre Dame "cleared him" without asking those questions, then it's nothing more than PR. This story is fascinating, and I kind of hope it's not the latest sordid tale of celebrity sociopathy.

I'm willing to bet that within 24 hours a girl, or maybe many girls, will come forward to say that she (they) either dated or hooked with with Manti this season. No way was he sheltered in his dorm room pining for an online romance.

Good. Then he can clear himself.

Here's another basic question:

Lennay's cell phone… who was it actually owned by? This "Reba" woman?

Notre dame claimed that he was called by that number dec 6 and the voice of his dead gf came clean.

Smart people get conned all the time.

if you're over 15 years old and you honestly think that someone you've never seen in real life is your "girlfriend," you're a moron.

if this dude loved her as much as he claimed in his numerous interviews and he somehow never met her wouldn't he, at the very least, want to visit her gravesite? wouldn't the fact that it never existed be a red flag?