The Draft, what are our needs?

Mickey

Before we can start speculating in detail as to who we are going to draft and what personnel moves we are going to make from trades to franchise tags and so forth, we need to target our needs.

Obviously, if we lose Jennings and Pat Williams, you start there. We have Anderson from last year's draft and Ron Edwards actually played fairly well in spots so I think we could absorb the loss of Pat Williams a little more than we could the loss of Jonas Jennins. The OL is adequate at best, it can't afford to lose people because there just isn't much depth. Having put the money on Willis, we need to follow through on that investment and try and give him the best line in football. Price is no starter and I am not sure Williams is ready to move to LT. I think they may have to sign Jonas so that we can focus on landing a guard for the left side. In any event, I will target needs for now based on both coming back since they are on the roster now.

Defensively we need another CB to replace Troy Vincent who is now a safety. I know they like Greer but the bottom line is you can't have enough CB's in this league. We need another body there, preferably someone we think can start in time, somebody like McGee.

I have been very disappointed in Jeff Posey. He just doesn't make plays. Maybe it is the system and all, maybe the playbook is slanted to London and TKO, I don't know. I do know that you almost never hear his name called. Don't get me wrong, I would have no problem going into 2005 with the same "D" but if we are looking to see where it could improve, I think Posey is possibly the weakest starter in the group. A DE with some speed to give us some depth, a developmental guy would be a welcome addition.

On the offensive side of the ball I think we need a G on the left side and I think we need to get a project OT to cover us in case of injury or another head case incident with MW. I am not happy with the TE group but I don't think the front office is interested in adding to what we already have. I think they are happy with Campbell, Ehus and Neufeld. I just don't think they block all that well which is why you see Peters/Banaan/Denney/Adams checking in on running plays which is a giveaway to the defense. Since Travis is gone, we need another RB to be the back-up, I don't like the idea of S.Williams being our only option there. A good center prospect would be nice to push Teague who I think came on pretty well this year. He is good when he is in motion on sweeps and reverses and such. Where he struggles is in pass protection. As always, we should keep an eye out for a WR sleeper. Reed is just not getting it done as the third guy and Aiken may be just too slow to be effective here. I'd like to see a big guy, like some of the guys picked in later rounds that were surprises this year. Remember the jump ball against J'ville that lost us the game? I'd like a receiver we can throw to even when he is covered. The guys who are that big and still have speed are first rounders but there are guys who are not as fast but just as big who would be around later I should think.

As for special teams, get rid of Lindell. I remember how nice it was to know that every kick inside of 50 yards was automatic and that if we needed a 55 yarder to win it in OT, we had a realistic shot of making it. That was life with Steve Christie as our K. I am not slamming Lindell, I am saying he is no Steve Christie and frankly, that is what I want. Your kicker will likely score more points than anyother player on the roster. It is worth it to spend some jack and draft capital to get a guy we can put on autopilot at that key position for the next 10 years.

In order of importance I would list our needs as G, K, RB, OLB, CB, OT, WR and TE.

I know that is high for a kicker but you know, Christie made 67% of his kicks from 40-49 yards and that includes stats from late in his career when his leg strength was markedly reduced. Lindell is in his prime and only hitting 57%. Looking at our schedule, there is not doubt we are going to have some close games and I am positive that Lindell will cost a few wins if we give him the chance. He is a decent kicker but if we have championship aspirations, we need better than "decent". Does anybody think NE would have two rings without Vinatieri?

What do you think our needs are?

While all those are needs, realistically you have the best shot of getting a good LB late in 2nd round, and that's where I think the pick will be. My second target for that pick would be a TE.

I think that the Tim Anderson pick was made with Sam Adams in mind, not Pat.

D&C is correct in saying that Bills will do all they can to keep both Jennings & Williams. I think that the Bills can pick up a decent LG in FA, which shoul help Jonas a lot.

IMHO...

i think TE.

however...the top TE's that can come in and contribute right away are Blue Chip prospects that are gone in the first 20 picks of the first round.

so...if the Bills address that need, I think it will have to be through FA.

If the Bills lose Jennings and/or Pat Williams, there is no question they have to fill those positions with a second round pick first and foremost.

While all those are needs, realistically you have the best shot of getting a good LB late in 2nd round, and that's where I think the pick will be.  My second target for that pick would be a TE.

I think that the Tim Anderson pick was made with Sam Adams in mind, not Pat.

D&C is correct in saying that Bills will do all they can to keep both Jennings & Williams.  I think that the Bills can pick up a decent LG in FA, which shoul help Jonas a lot.

195368[/snapback]

That is an excellent point about the LG. TD has a history of that with signing CV. I think he is pretty pleased with that FA signing and as such, is encouraged to try it again to get another guard.

I happen to think Tucker did a decent job at LG this year. Not saying the position can't be upgraded, but the priority on the O-line needs to be re-signing or replacing Jennings.

Does anyone think we can move MW to left tackle now and get a (cheaper) right tackle?

I happen to think Tucker did a decent job at LG this year.  Not saying the position can't be upgraded, but the priority on the O-line needs to be re-signing or replacing Jennings.

Does anyone think we can move MW to left tackle now and get a (cheaper) right tackle?

195375[/snapback]

That's exactly what's going to happen

With no real glaring needs, I think the success of both the Patriots and Steelers have shown us that quality depth is more important than having high dollar stars. Both of these teams got there by having a series of very strong drafts -- and often going for quantity, rather than "quality". I'd like to see TD and TM do the same, and approach this draft with an eye for improving the depth at OL, DL, WR, DB, and LB. Bottom line, we can't afford to pass up the best available player at practically any position.

IMHO...

i think TE. 

however...the top TE's that can come in and contribute right away are Blue Chip prospects that are gone in the first 20 picks of the first round.

so...if the Bills address that need, I think it will have to be through FA.

195370[/snapback]

Or they could recover a 2nd rounder for TH and then package the 2 2s to

move to the 1st to grab a blue-chip TE

There isn't crap for TEs in this draft. If it were based on getting the best players, period, a TE wouldn't be drafted until about the 4th round. Sorry. It's a position that might stand some upgrading, but it's just not there. Campbell and Euhus are better than anyone coming out and they're not breaking the bank.

I agree with the order of Mickey's first four but amend the first one to LG/C.

Or they could recover a 2nd rounder for TH and then package the 2 2s to

move to the 1st to grab a blue-chip TE

195389[/snapback]

I don't think anything will happen with TH until the draft is underway, if it happens at all. TD will probably see how the first 10 or so picks play out before he makes a decision, if he really thinks there's a way to get a first-rounder out of a Henry deal (not straight up, obviously, but rather Henry for a pick and then that pick plus a 2 and maybe a high 2006 pick for a 2005 #1).

I keep hearing that this draft isn't deep. If that's true it probably makes no sense to trade into the first round anyway

There isn't crap for TEs in this draft. If it were based on getting the best players, period, a TE wouldn't be drafted until about the 4th round. Sorry. It's a position that might stand some upgrading, but it's just not there. Campbell and Euhus are better than anyone coming out and they're not breaking the bank.

I agree with the order of Mickey's first four but amend the first one to LG/C.

195390[/snapback]

a-hem...(cough cough)....Boston College.....(cough...cough).... :)

I don't think anything will happen with TH until the draft is underway, if it happens at all.  TD will probably see how the first 10 or so picks play out before he makes a decision, if he really thinks there's a way to get a first-rounder out of a Henry deal (not straight up, obviously, but rather Henry for a pick and then that pick plus a 2 and maybe a high 2006 pick for a 2005 #1).

I keep hearing that this draft isn't deep.  If that's true it probably makes no sense to trade into the first round anyway

195400[/snapback]

i think TH will be traded before the draft, perhaps long before the draft.....

a-hem...(cough cough)....Boston College.....(cough...cough)....    :wacko:

195403[/snapback]

Yeah, yeah.... :):P

Methinks it's going to be 2-3 years until there's another strong push. Welcome to the age of true parity. In the women's game it'll be a while more, but apres Diana, it's starting too.

Then again, you never know come March Madness. That's when it counts.

Things to do, IMO:

1) Resign Pat Williams. He was a monster in the trenches, wants to come back and is the key contributor to keeping the LBs free to make plays.

2) Trade Bledsoe and Henry and get whatever we can out of them. Henry doesn't want to be here and I believe that JP can play just as well as Bledsoe. Hell, JP might actually throw the ball away when he feels pressure. : ) Hopefully we will get at least 2 2nd round picks for both guys.

3) Try and sign Jennings. IF the price tag gets to high, let him go. If you franchise him would anyone really trade a 1st for him? I doubt it.

4) In the draft get: RB, multiple OL, multiple CBs, LB, DT, K.

5) Free Agency, not much to pick up. Journeyman QB, OG, OT (if Jennings leaves), K. Basically look for spots to upgrade. Don't need superstars, just average/above average players to fill spots.

6) Most Important. Keep the Bills in a good salary cap situation. We do not want to go into cap hell for Jennings or any other player. Do not sign players to potentially bad contracts.

Another question, for drafting a RB....

Do they pick someone who's similar to Willis, a power/speed hybrid? Kind of the way Kenneth Davis more or less matched up w/ Thurman's style?

Or someone who complements his running style and is what Willis is not? Like the big bruiser Bettis paired w/ scatback combination they had in Pitt?

If so, who fits the mold? To go between these categories, I was thinking about Leon Washington from Florida State if he declares early. He's stocky with a low center of gravity --- I don't get why everyone wants a 6' RB..., has speed (if anyone saw that run in their bowl game, you know what I mean) and power (he drags tacklers).

Do they pick someone who's similar to Willis, a power/speed hybrid? Kind of the way Kenneth Davis more or less matched up w/ Thurman's style?

Or someone who complements his running style and is what Willis is not? Like the big bruiser Bettis paired w/ scatback combination they had in Pitt?

If so, who fits the mold? To go between these categories, I was thinking about Leon Washington from Florida State if he declares early. He's stocky with a low center of gravity --- I don't get why everyone wants a 6' RB..., has speed (if anyone saw that run in their bowl game, you know what I mean) and power (he drags tacklers).

195447[/snapback]

If you are looking for a shifty/change of pace guy, I would go with Darren Sproles of Kansas State. He is much in the Barry Sanders mold.

The Sproles/McGahee combo would be a lot like Dunn/Duckett in Atlanta.

Another bonus: You could pick up Sproles in rounds 4-6 probably. Use those higher picks on other positions, OL, DBs.

195447[/snapback]

I think they will want a 3rd down back. MM's system is heavily reliant on "packages", personnel sets for various situations. Henry was the 3rd down back before he got hurt and S.Williams was afterwards. That means they need a guy with soft hands and who can pick up blitzers. A free agent might be just the ticket here so we don't have to wait for a rookie to learn blitz pick-ups. We have enough trouble already protecting the QB.