Is being bald/white a prerequisite to getting a coordinator job at OBD

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And neither did Chan's defense (especially considering that he hired a very inexperienced never-been-a-DC in Edwards to come in and convert a Tampa-2 defense into a 3-4 without a valid Nose tackle on the roster).

Excellent points! I'm really hoping that the new coaching staff does a better job of matching schemes to talent. It appears promising (as it always seems to), but until they actually perform better, we won't know. I'm confident the DC is going to at least get people talking about the Bills defense again -- which is good -- but they've still got to get it done on the field. I also like that he basically runs the 3-4 AND the 4-3.

Buffalo has smart and talented players -- a smart(er) coach could be an inspiration and/or motivation to them. There just has not been "buy-in" by the players into past coaching staffs -- at least not on both sides of the ball at once. Maybe given more time each past staff would have proved itself, but how long do you wait for that to happen? 3 years seems about the average wait. What is a mystery to me is how can the Bills with all the defensive talent they have finish last in yards allowed? I just don't get that. Any schmo ought to be able to coach this much talent at least to a mid-tier ranking (like Fewell's), but Wannstadt couldn't even take this talent out of last ranking. That's pretty bad, but it also hints that some of these players won't be around next year, either, for too long if they don't pick up their game. Marrone probably really will be the culture change this team needs.

Fewell's defenses were 10th, 18th, 14th, & 16th (final year when he became interim HC). So, you can look at his defenses, statistically, and say "Well, at least they didn't suck", but they can't be called "great", either. So, for a DC looking for an HC position, those numbers just are not impressive enough. And the talent he had available was a factor, too, along with an offense that could never bail them out of a hole and often created the hole with turnovers and horrible field position. Fewell will be an HC one day.

Three coordinators. All bald. All snow white. Can a brother get a chance in Buffalo? Anywhere in the NFL? Lovie Smith gets fired after going 10-6. Could be replaced by a CFL coach or Whisenhunt. Whisenhunt's offense was crap without Kurt Warner but his team's defense was good. Does Horton get a job? Not yet. Brian Billick offensive mastermind that he is wins a SB with arguably the greatest defense ever( which he does not oversee) and never has an offense ranked higher than 15th. Both he, Chip Kelly, Bill O'Brien(another Brady product), and the ND blowout coach all get interviews with the Eagles. Do you think they let Fewell even interview for more than an hour before deciding not to reatin him and hire Gailey? Fewell was 3-4 as HC which looks quite good compared to the last guy.

Maybe Quentin Tarontino needs to do a movie on the plight of black coaches in the NFL??? Sad part is the NFL looks down right progressive compared to the NCAA...

I'd be asking why someone like David Shaw (Stanford) or Charlie Strong (Louisville) didn't even get really mentioned anywhere or interviewed anywhere that I'm aware of for a HC position. To me, there is a much better case for those two than there is for someone who just got fired and had years of underachievement, like Lovie Smith.

Excellent points! I'm really hoping that the new coaching staff does a better job of matching schemes to talent. It appears promising (as it always seems to), but until they actually perform better, we won't know. I'm confident the DC is going to at least get people talking about the Bills defense again -- which is good -- but they've still got to get it done on the field. I also like that he basically runs the 3-4 AND the 4-3.

Buffalo has smart and talented players -- a smart(er) coach could be an inspiration and/or motivation to them. There just has not been "buy-in" by the players into past coaching staffs -- at least not on both sides of the ball at once. Maybe given more time each past staff would have proved itself, but how long do you wait for that to happen? 3 years seems about the average wait. What is a mystery to me is how can the Bills with all the defensive talent they have finish last in yards allowed? I just don't get that. Any schmo ought to be able to coach this much talent at least to a mid-tier ranking (like Fewell's), but Wannstadt couldn't even take this talent out of last ranking. That's pretty bad, but it also hints that some of these players won't be around next year, either, for too long if they don't pick up their game. Marrone probably really will be the culture change this team needs.

Fewell's defenses were 10th, 18th, 14th, & 16th (final year when he became interim HC). So, you can look at his defenses, statistically, and say "Well, at least they didn't suck", but they can't be called "great", either. So, for a DC looking for an HC position, those numbers just are not impressive enough. And the talent he had available was a factor, too, along with an offense that could never bail them out of a hole and often created the hole with turnovers and horrible field position. Fewell will be an HC one day.

I am curious what makes you say that. Fewell has a lot more talent now on the Giants , yet a number of folks have said that the Giants defense has underperformed.

It should be noted that Buffalo's future GM, Doug Whaley, is black. And the defensive coordinators from 1998-2011 have all been black (Cottrell, Gray, Fewell, Edwards).

Some people don't want to do any research, it might prevent them from bringing race into every conversation possible to man?

I am still trying to figure out what OBD means. Sorry but I am not an online abbreviatoir or twitter type guy....

One Bills Drive

This isn't affirmative action, best man wins period.

Sorry to inform you, but AA works both ways.

And neither did Chan's defense (especially considering that he hired a very inexperienced never-been-a-DC in Edwards to come in and convert a Tampa-2 defense into a 3-4 without a valid Nose tackle on the roster).

Edwards HAD been a DC in the NFL before the Bills hired him. He was a DC in Washington.

I am curious what makes you say that. Fewell has a lot more talent now on the Giants , yet a number of folks have said that the Giants defense has underperformed.

He's still relatively young and needs more experience. But you make a good point -- if he doesn't show improvement next year, then he could be transitioning again somewhere.

Lovie's inability to hire an even competent OC is why nobody wants him and not because he's black.

A really good friend of mine is a die-hard Bears fan. He was always a supporter of Lovie Smith, until the last two seasons. As he pointed out, the team just consistantly, under Lovie, just fell flat on their faces whenever they were faced with any pressure to win...and when they won, it was mostly of the 'ugly win" variety, playing down to the perceived level of their competition. When they needed to beat, but couldn't, the Vikings to get a playoff spot this year, my buddy said, "in some ways, I am relieved...they would have got bounced in their first playoff game, and Lovie would be back again for at least one more year of mediocrity".

The players all spoke out about how they supported Lovie Smith, but they never played like it on Sundays. For as long as Smith was in Chicago, his success was pretty front-loaded to the begining of his tenure. I am sure he is a good guy, and a good defensive coach, but, I for one, never really want to see the "Tampa-2" defense in Buffalo.

Edited by Buftex

OBD = One Bills Drive.

That's not right. It is a reference to Overdorf's Bald Directive, a very effective cost saving measure which serves to limit men's hair products at One Bills Drive.

The savings from this single initiative was instrumental in acquiring Lee Smith off of New England's practice squad.