Dehaven out, Crossman in for ST

l< j

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just see it as they want to be employed.

They were already employed...I don't think a single Coach has been taken off the street yet...The Jets wanted Pettine back...This ST's Coach is under Contract with Detroit...I'm not sure what your point is... B-)

They were already employed...I don't think a single Coach has been taken off the street yet...The Jets wanted Pettine back...This ST's Coach is under Contract with Detroit...I'm not sure what your point is... B-)

Correct. Pettine turned down an extension a month ago. Rex is now spinning this as "Mike needed to get out of my shadow" but clearly the Jets wanted to keep him. If the report is to be believed about Crossman, it's a similar situation. Guys with jobs actively seeking out the Bills -- that's something I don't think we've ever seen before (at least not that I recall).

What does it tell you that other coaches are clamoring, trying to work for the man?

Well...perhaps they needed a job.

Reports are that the Lions asked the Browns for permission to interview their ST coach, even before Crossman bolted. As for Driesbach, he was fired by Rice in December 2011 and apparently was out of coaching last year.

I read that Crossman was released before the Bills came knocking. And Pettine was offered a contract to work under a guy who had a heavy hand in the defense. He wanted to be THEE guy on defense and that was never going to happen under Rex. Pettine has to be better than Wannstedt, but we really don't know. Same with Crossman and Hackett. I'm just saying there are some major questions with our coordinators. That's all.

Well...perhaps they needed a job.

Reports are that the Lions asked the Browns for permission to interview their ST coach, even before Crossman bolted. As for Driesbach, he was fired by Rice in December 2011 and apparently was out of coaching last year.

theres no way crossman should be a celebrated hire. hes a hold our breathe and hope it works guy.

pettine is a good get. even if he doesnt work out - in the moment hes a good guy to target.

hackett, is a boom or bust roll of the dice. if they were going to roll the dice - OC was the spot to do it.

hes definitely a preparation guy, which i think is helpful - i remember when he was hired at syracuse he was praised for walking in with a binder full of coaches and players he had been scouting. he didnt pick these guys by accident, ill say that much for sure.

Sounds like a Gregg Williams' disciple. ...

theres no way crossman should be a celebrated hire. hes a hold our breathe and hope it works guy.

pettine is a good get. even if he doesnt work out - in the moment hes a good guy to target.

hackett, is a boom or bust roll of the dice. if they were going to roll the dice - OC was the spot to do it.

Agree with this assessment, although I really do like the Pettine and Hackett hires, especially Pettine. I think Crossman will be fine if he has the tools to work with. His record is average over the past six years - good years and bad years.

We've got coaches from other teams (Jets and Lions, anyway) leaving their current situations (not being fired) and choosing to come to Buffalo. I like that.

Also, I understand cronyism concerns, but at least he's hiring guys with experience. He hasn't make a Ronnie Jones move, by any means (who is now a high school coach, by the way).

Not to smart. Dehaven's kick off returners ranked 4th, Detroit 31st. Dehaven's punt returners 1st, Detroit 15th. I am not sure Marrone sgtacking the staff with buddies is wise. Just aske Wade Phillips about Ronnie Jones.

Not to smart. Dehaven's kick off returners ranked 4th, Detroit 31st. Dehaven's punt returners 1st, Detroit 15th. I am not sure Marrone sgtacking the staff with buddies is wise. Just aske Wade Phillips about Ronnie Jones.

And who was returning kicks for Detroit? McKelvin is a premier returner who had a great season before being injured. Stefan Logan - not so much.

Just got the text from the Bills:

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/01/14/crossman-has-respect-for-bills-and-fan-base/

Crossman has respect for Bills and fan base

Bills new special teams coordinator Danny Crossman was happy to land the job with Buffalo. In a team statement he indicated how much respect he has for the Bills as an organization as well as its fan base. “Most important is the opportunity to work with an outstanding NFL franchise that has a passionate fan base," said Crossman. "I know how much this team means to the community having grown up in a hardworking, blue-collar city. I’m excited to help this organization on the field with the support of our fans.” Crossman is an El Paso, Texas native, who played his college football at Pitt as a defensive back.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

He's coached ST in the NFL for the past 11 years and his record looks ok, on paper--- but I wonder if any ST coach's record would balance out over that time span? Despite the ST tire fire in Detroit for some of this past year, we could do better, we could do worse.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Bills-tab-Danny-Crossman-special-teams-coordinator/45a6ef4b-20c6-4a30-869b-670a5b59a1f8

During Crossman’s tenure with Detroit from 2010-12, S John Wendling tied for the NFL-lead with 51 special teams tackles.

In his first year with the Lions in 2010, the kick return unit was the third-most improved in the League with an average 3.5 more yards per return than in 2009. Returner Stefan Logan posted the fifth-best punt return average in the NFL (12.1). Detroit also had the NFL’s 10
th
-most significant improvement in punt return average in 2010 – a jump from an 8.8 punt return average in 2009 to 12.1 yards per punt return in 2010.

The Panthers ranked third in the NFL in 2008 with an opponent average drive start after kickoffs (24.7) and were one of three teams that did not allow an opponent to start a drive following a kickoff past the 50-yard line. Carolina posted a league-best 30 touchbacks, 33.7 touchback percentage and ninth with an opponent kickoff return average (21.9).

In his first year as a special teams coordinator in 2005, Crossman’s unit ranked among the best in the NFL. The Panthers finished ninth in the Dallas Morning News special teams ratings which were highlighted with a second place finish in punt coverage and seventh in kickoff coverage.

I guess my final point is: Our coordinators' receiving the Bills job is the biggest job they've ever had. Of course they took the gig. I'll stop fighting the Kool Aid wave.

It's not a Kool Aid wave...No need for drama here...They (these Coaches) have done nothing in Buffalo yet...You'll be hard pressed to find someone more negative on this Organization than I've been over the past decade...But I do like the direction I'm seeing if for nothing more than the fact that it's a different approach...Not saying it's right or wrong yet...There is zero evidence one way or the other... B-)

Just for kicks here were the Rams ST numbers in Bobby April's last year with them.

Punt Coverage ranked 30th in the NFL

Punt Return Average ranked 31st in the NFL

Kickoff Coverage ranked 31st in the NFL

Kickoff Return Average ranked 32nd in the NFL

He worked out ok. ST is as much about your team's depth as anything else. McKelvin doesn't suddenly become any less great a PR because there's a new coach.