Poll: Should the "Redskins" name be changed?

Just in Atlanta

Redskins Name Change  

539 members have voted

1. 1. Should the "Redskins" name be changed?

• Yes. It's a derogatory word and the NFL should set a good example.
    • No. It's not derogatory to most people and changing it would set a bad example.
    • Maybe. I don't have a strong opinion but I wouldn't be fazed by a name change.
  2. 2. How many of the following statements capture your views?

• It's insensitive to have a team name that denotes skin color.
    • I'm deeply offended; it's borderline bigotry.
    • It's a politically-correct manufactured controversy.
    • Another example of a select "offended" few forcing their PC views on everyone.
    • The term doesn't bother me but it is offensive to many others.
    • I value tradition in this debate.
    • Why is this even an issue?

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flimsy?

Possibly although no one seems to argue with the contention that Marshall was an extreme racist and that because he believed that his head coach was part native indian, he had him wear a headdress on the sidelines. These things are true.

I would say the theory that Marshall was treating the Redskins name as a self-pleasing joke is more likely than any other theory.

For the first anonymous Facebook post, blacks call each other the "N" word pretty commonly. That doesn't give non-blacks license to do the same.

And for anonymous Facebook posts in general, I don't trust them at all. We have no idea who is posting what so those posts carry zero weight for me.

The only thing that would satisfy me to leave the name as is is if The National Congress of American Indians or some national organization concerned with indian welfare held a long-term, open conversation on the subject and then concluded that conversation with a comprehensive, all inclusive poll of native indians.

If the majority of a large sample size of native indians was good with the Redskins name, I would be too.

Short of that happening, I'll maintain my position that Redskins is a tasteless name and just one of numerous ways that Daniel Snyder has proven himself to be an a-hole.

Contrary to my belief that the name is wrong and Snyder is an a-hole, I respect his right to keep the name as it is.

The "N" word is not in the same category as "Redskin". There is NO doubt the "N" word is intended to humiliate individuals based on circumstances they cant control.

Redskins could be considered by some as disrespectful but to others be honorable. Which is why I included the anonymous quotes. IF those people are indeed American Indians their comments speak volumes about the word. Thats two vastly different positions.

We can agree that Daniel Snyder is a slime ball.

Didn't you think she looked pretty good in the 80s?

She played a lot of annoying or pathetic characters (played most of them very well), and I think that made her seem less attractive than she was. Kind of the anti-Kathleen Turner.

According to one article, top local fan sites (hog haven and Mr. irrelevant) have come out in favor of getting rid of the name. One quote in particular, I think, fits the way the discussion is being framed here to a tee:

"For most Native Americans, there's no more offensive name in English. That non-Native folks think they get to measure or decide what offends us is adding insult to injury."

----Suzan Shown Harjo, a woman of Cheyenne and Muscogee descent who is president of the Morning Star Institute, a national indigenous-rights organization in D.C.

See the full article at grantland

According to one article, top local fan sites (hog haven and Mr. irrelevant) have come out in favor of getting rid of the name. One quote in particular, I think, fits the way the discussion is being framed here to a tee:

"For most Native Americans, there's no more offensive name in English. That non-Native folks think they get to measure or decide what offends us is adding insult to injury."

----Suzan Shown Harjo, a woman of Cheyenne and Muscogee descent who is president of the Morning Star Institute, a national indigenous-rights organization in D.C.

See the full article at grantland

Good find, and I agree.

I think the Bills should change their name. My name is Bill and they have been so bad for over a decade it is derogatory towards me. Seriously, I think the Redskins should change their name, I personally am not the sensitive type, but I can understand Native Americans having a problem with it. If there were a team called Black Skins or Yellow Skins, do you think that would go over well?

In case anyone has been keeping track, the word "Redskin" Hasn't been used as a racial slur in more than 2 centuries, If someone called me a brown skin, I'd call them astute. I call my friend "red" because he gets red from the sun in the summer, should he get enraged at the thought and take it as an individualized derogatory statement? If he did, that would be a little nonsensical. Comparing this to the infamous "N" word or any real world racial slur meant to be a direct insult just doesn't hold up. All people have to go on are some crappy John Wayne movies from the 50's as reference to whether or not it was used as a derogatory statement. One of my best friends here where I live now is 100% native american, and is not a fan of the Redskins, but has a jersey because he likes the warrior image on the helmet. His entire family has never even heard the team name used as a derogatory statement against his culture, so I have to ask, who really has the issue, and why? Is it just because, or is it that some asshat called you a redskin in the 5th grade?

If my isolated point of view on this is way off base, and there are far more people out there insulting native americans on a daily basis, then my apologies, but to me, and from where I see it, I think it's a big to-do about something that just isn't used in the context people think it is, or more appropriately, was.

OHHHH BTW.... GET THIS!!! My buddy actually hates the term "Indian"... YES.... WHY you ask? He's not from India of course, and thinks that's inappropriate.

I agree.

Like calling someone from Japan Chinese...

I agree with this 100%. Yes as PC people pointed out, things change. Other than in an old movie I have never heard anyone use the name "Redskins" in a derogatory way. Maybe in a 50's movie. If anything the team name has changed the perception in a positive way.