Poll: Should the "Redskins" name be changed?

Just in Atlanta

Redskins Name Change  

539 members have voted

1. 1. Should the "Redskins" name be changed?

• Yes. It's a derogatory word and the NFL should set a good example.
    • No. It's not derogatory to most people and changing it would set a bad example.
    • Maybe. I don't have a strong opinion but I wouldn't be fazed by a name change.
  2. 2. How many of the following statements capture your views?

• It's insensitive to have a team name that denotes skin color.
    • I'm deeply offended; it's borderline bigotry.
    • It's a politically-correct manufactured controversy.
    • Another example of a select "offended" few forcing their PC views on everyone.
    • The term doesn't bother me but it is offensive to many others.
    • I value tradition in this debate.
    • Why is this even an issue?

@CBSSportsRadio

Fight over Redskins name heading to court details -->http://cbsloc.al/14x9Vg2

The long-running battle over the Washington Redskins name gets a restart Thursday, when a group of Native Americans goes before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board to argue that the franchise should lose their federal trademark protection, based on a law that prohibits registered names that disparaging, scandalous, contemptuous or disreputable.

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder what the reaction would be if there was a team named the New York Ni$$ers. Offensive or just good fun? I doubt that Native Americans see the term "Redskin" as any different.

Hmmm. Yeah, I've never thought of that!............Most people using this arguments go with New York Negroes, but this really drives it home.

I wonder what the reaction would be if there was a team named the New York Ni$$ers. Offensive or just good fun? I doubt that Native Americans see the term "Redskin" as any different.

Yeah, over 70 years and NOW someone is offended by the name? Give me a BREAK... this is an utter joke. Enough of this PC garbage!

Yeah, over 70 years and NOW someone is offended by the name? Give me a BREAK... this is an utter joke. Enough of this PC garbage!

What on Earth makes you think no one has been offended until now? In general, do you think not oppressing people or avoiding racial epithets is utter PC garbage?

Why do you think it's important to use the name if many people are offended by it?

What on Earth makes you think no one has been offended until now? In general, do you think not oppressing people or avoiding racial epithets is utter PC garbage?

Why do you think it's important to use the name if many people are offended by it?

I have some friends named Bill who are offended by Buffalo's team name. I think we should change it.

I have some friends named Bill who are offended by Buffalo's team name. I think we should change it.

That was so clever! If I thought they had been systematically oppressed and nearly eradicated I might pay attention.

Would anyone argue that native americans were not treated deplorably by the US goverment over the centuries? I think the least we should do it err on the side of sensitivity at this point.

That was so clever! If I thought they had been systematically oppressed and nearly eradicated I might pay attention.

Would anyone argue that native americans were not treated deplorably by the US goverment over the centuries? I think the least we should do it err on the side of sensitivity at this point.

Oh Jesus F'n Christ, we've been over this already. But I can't deny your logic that all the dead Indians are being demoralized by the fact that their image is glorified as the mascot of an NFL team. If you're going to beat this drum I expect you are equally outraged by the Chiefs? No? And we could get into it, but I don't want to shatter your feel-good image of the peace-loving "Native American" who was at one with the land, and the spirits, etc., etc., etc.

What the world really needs now are more people to get offended over symbolic gestures to generations past that could potentially be interpreted as mildly offensive.

Oppressing people? Making this connection is a prime example of PC run rampant. If you don't like it, create your own country, don't ruin mine.

I'm offended by a lot of things... why don't we just get rid of everything? Minority rule. Yeah, OK...

Oppressing people? Making this connection is a prime example of PC run rampant. If you don't like it, create your own country, don't ruin mine.

I'm offended by a lot of things... why don't we just get rid of everything? Minority rule. Yeah, OK...

Yeah the whole bleepin country should be run in accordance with whatever you think. Yeah, OK. :lol:

It just goes to show how little regard and sensitivity people in this country have for native americans. Racial epitaphs against all other ethnic groups, including blacks who constantly complain about being belittled, are considered inappropriate but for native americans it's of no importance and in fact offensive garbage if it gets in the way of a good sports team logo. Can't call asians "slopes" or Germans "krouts" or Blacks "ni$$ers" (can't even write that one) or Italians "guineas" or Latino's "spics" but "Redskin" is all good for native americans.

It's just because they have no political power in this country. Without power you're at other people's mercy and there is very little mercy in this world.

Edited by vincec