Drinks you never had before that turned out to be awesome

Kelly the Dog

I know there have been other threads on here about good liquors and beers and whatever. But this is about drinks or labels you found that are not the normal fare, but turn out to be great.

I was in a bar in downtown LA this morning, one of the oldest bars in all of Los Angeles, called "Cole's", which has a similar sign and slightly similar bar to the Buffalo Elmwood bar of the same name. Mad Men is sometimes filmed there. LA Confidential had a few scenes there. A scene from Forest Gump. A bunch of other famous films and TV Shows.

I had a drink that consisted of Vodka, real Ginger Beer, and lime juice. It was really, really good, the difference being the real, and good quality, Ginger Beer as opposed to Ginger Ale.

Later, on the way home, I went looking for some good Ginger Beer at a specialty store and bought a few bottles, then poured a few Crown and Ginger Beers while watching the playoff game. It's awesome. My new favorite drink. Way different than crown and ginger ale, which i have had hundreds of.

I know there have been other threads on here about good liquors and beers and whatever. But this is about drinks or labels you found that are not the normal fare, but turn out to be great.

I was in a bar in downtown LA this morning, one of the oldest bars in all of Los Angeles, called "Cole's", which has a similar sign and slightly similar bar to the Buffalo Elmwood bar of the same name. Mad Men is sometimes filmed there. LA Confidential had a few scenes there. A scene from Forest Gump. A bunch of other famous films and TV Shows.

I had a drink that consisted of Vodka, real Ginger Beer, and lime juice. It was really, really good, the difference being the real, and good quality, Ginger Beer as opposed to Ginger Ale.

Later, on the way home, I went looking for some good Ginger Beer at a specialty store and bought a few bottles, then poured a few Crown and Ginger Beers while watching the playoff game. It's awesome. My new favorite drink. Way different than crown and ginger ale, which i have had hundreds of.

Good one. That's called the "Moscow Mule", for reasons I don't know. I had it for the first time this past Hallowe'en, and it was indeed awesome. I had it another time at a restaurant here in Salt Lake. I could get used to that one.

It's not a new drink, but there is a restaurant/whiskey distillery in Park City called "High West Distillery", and their stuff is all over Park City and Salt Lake. I had a Manhattan there, and it was fantastic. Some really great stuff, and I'm in no way a whiskey guy.

Good one. That's called the "Moscow Mule", for reasons I don't know. I had it for the first time this past Hallowe'en, and it was indeed awesome. I had it another time at a restaurant here in Salt Lake. I could get used to that one.

It's not a new drink, but there is a restaurant/whiskey distillery in Park City called "High West Distillery", and their stuff is all over Park City and Salt Lake. I had a Manhattan there, and it was fantastic. Some really great stuff, and I'm in no way a whiskey guy.

Yeah. It was called a Moscow Mule there, too. Good stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_mule

The rooster 'n Bull is a good old time bar in Hollywood that still exists.

The mule was born in Manhattan but "stalled" on the West Coast for the duration. The birthplace of "Little Moscow" was in New York's Chatham Hotel. That was back in 1941 when the first carload of Jack Morgan's rooster 'n' Bull ginger beer was railing over the plains to give New Yorkers a happy surprise... Three friends were in the Chatham bar, one John A. Morgan, known as Jack, president of rooster 'n' Bull Products and owner of the Hollywood rooster 'n' Bull Restaurant; one was John G. Martin, president of G.F. Heublein Brothers Inc. of Hartford, Conn., and the third was Rudolph Kunett, president of the Pierre Smirnoff, Heublein's vodka division. As Jack Morgan tells it, "We three were quaffing a slug, nibbling an hors d'oeuvre and shoving toward inventive genius". Martin and Kunett had their minds on their vodka and wondered what would happen if a two-ounce shot joined with Morgan's ginger beer and the squeeze of a lime. Ice was ordered, limes procured, mugs ushered in and the concoction put together. Cups were raised, the men counted five and down went the first taste. It was good. It lifted the spirit to adventure. Four or five later the mixture was christened the Moscow Mule...

It was also served in a very cool copper mug like this one.

http://www.coppergifts.com/cookie-cutters/pc/Moscow-Mule-Copper-Mug-Large-p4009.htm

I asked the bartender how many of those were stolen every day. And he said they always ask for IDs and keep them until the mugs are returned although they didn't when i ordered one.

Yeah. It was called a Moscow Mule there, too. Good stuff.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Moscow_mule

The rooster 'n Bull is a good old time bar in Hollywood that still exists.

It was also served in a very cool copper mug like this one.

http://www.coppergif...Large-p4009.htm

I asked the bartender how many of those were stolen every day. And he said they always ask for IDs and keep them until the mugs are returned although they didn't when i ordered one.

Good stuff, thanks. I hadn't seen or heard of the copper mugs before.

I made a similar drink a couple years ago for a party that I found in a book, called the "Dark & Stormy". 1 part dark rum, 2 parts ginger beer, and a lemon twist. Poured over ice. Everyone liked it.

Edited by Rubes

Wife swears by Dark N Stormy. Dark rum & ginger beer & 1 slice of lime squeezed and dropped in.

had a drink a few months ago when we had a get together before my buddy had his baby, One of the guys was saying the drink was called (or atleast he remembers it being called) a "Porch monkey"

It was some german beer and I think lemonade in about a 50-50 mix.

Otherwise I would say Guiness, a drink that most people don't want to try because it looks so dark and heavy, but it is all I will drink usually if its available

Dark and Stormy is a big drink in New England sailing towns (Newport, Essex, etc). It is Black Seal Rum and Ginger beer with slice of lime

The Rodger Room on La Cienga in BH makes whats called a "Spiced Mule". It's spiced rum, ginger beer, lime juice and spicey simple syrup. Its really good. The Rodger Room in general makes some pretty crazy drinks. They make a fresh margarita with cucumber foam layer on it. Sounds really odd cucumber and tequila.... Tastes amazing.

I was in Jamaica for a vacation in November with my girlfriend and another couple. We're having a good time, doing shots, drinking beer and what not. Bartender says to us, "why don't you just mix it all together, 'mon?" Ended up pouring us a shot of 110 proof clear Jamaican rum into a large glass of Red Stripe. It ended up actually being really good. Basically knocked me on my ass though.

The Rodger Room on La Cienga in BH makes whats called a "Spiced Mule". It's spiced rum, ginger beer, lime juice and spicey simple syrup. Its really good. The Rodger Room in general makes some pretty crazy drinks. They make a fresh margarita with cucumber foam layer on it. Sounds really odd cucumber and tequila.... Tastes amazing.

Cool. Thx. I'll have to check that out.

They are OK...but they take an hour to drink...but the pickle juice is optional...

Well, you DO have to boil the pasta...

Back on topic, real ginger beer is an awesome mixer with whiskey, I agree.