College coaches to the NFL?

Frez

The fail list is impressive. Also important to note is JJ was 1-15 first year with cowboys.

Well there's 32 teams in the NFL and only 12 make the playoffs making 20 coaches, failures each year. It seems like the majority of NFL coaches are ultimately "failures."

One trend it seems to be is many had a very small amount of NFL experience compared to the years they had in college. Spurrier may have been on some NFL staff years ago I believe, but then was in college for maybe close to 20 years?? Similar path for Holtz and Saban.

Spurrier had a short NFL playing career and then never coached in the NFL in any capacity until he was made HC of the Redskins.

This is one of those questions for which there are an almost infinite number of variables, and I really don't think there's a "cookie cutter" answer other than to say it's very difficult if a coach is coming from college with little or no NFL experience. I would not label Marrone a "college coach" -- he has significant NFL experience as a player, position coach, and coordinator.

It would take an in-depth study to draw conclusions for sure.

Yeah Marrone has 9 years as a player/coach in the NFL.

He's more NFL-experienced than most of the coaches on the above lists.