Bills hire Nathaniel Hackett for Offensive Coordinator

cmjoyce113

Paul Hackett:

Wasn't he not totally successful as a coach? I don't remember all his stops and its sometimes hard to place how successful the chiefs offense was in 1994 off the cuff (i didnt watch near as much those days honestly) but.... Wasn't Paul Hackett fired from USC for consecutive losing seasons in his 2nd and 3rd year with each year getting worse, fired from the jets after that for play calling issues, i see he was 13-20 as a HC at Pitt.... Obviously some success mixed in too I assume but... It's often tossed around that he's a son of a coach, but how good of a coach was his dad? Just wondering from those that may be more familiar with his rep. Did he have any particularly identifying philosophies that he may have passed down for instance?

I think Hackett was a pretty middle of the road coach. I mainly know him from his OC stints in the NFL, and he was often criticized for being conservative. Based on the evidence out of Syracuse I don't think you can levy the same accusation at his son. I guess to the extent I put stock in N. Hackett being the son of a coach, it would be based on growing up around football, learning the basic concepts at an early age, and being around a lot of different coaches.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other Young HC or Coordinators include, Jeff Fisher, Greg Williams, Kyle Shanhan, Josh McDaniesl, O'Brien, Perry Fewell

And fellow coaches son, lane kiffen comes to mind (I think the USC bit with Paul Hackett brought him to mind), genuinely not trying to be a downer on that one.

I think Hackett was a pretty middle of the road coach. I mainly know him from his OC stints in the NFL, and he was often criticized for being conservative. Based on the evidence out of Syracuse I don't think you can levy the same accusation at his son. I guess to the extent I put stock in N. Hackett being the son of a coach, it would be based on growing up around football, learning the basic concepts at an early age, and being around a lot of different coaches.

For sure - I was just curious. You know, like a play call style, or handling of a player or whatever where someone might think "yup, that's Paul's son" would be an interesting anecdote (good or bad)

....Even Gailey ran the screen so many times because it was successful with Spiller as the Catcher.

Did anyone else notice that half way through the season our screens started to no longer be effective?

Yet we persisted for the rest of the year with it.

Paul Hackett:

Wasn't he not totally successful as a coach? I don't remember all his stops and its sometimes hard to place how successful the chiefs offense was in 1994 off the cuff (i didnt watch near as much those days honestly) but.... Wasn't Paul Hackett fired from USC for consecutive losing seasons in his 2nd and 3rd year with each year getting worse, fired from the jets after that for play calling issues, i see he was 13-20 as a HC at Pitt.... Obviously some success mixed in too I assume but... It's often tossed around that he's a son of a coach, but how good of a coach was his dad? Just wondering from those that may be more familiar with his rep. Did he have any particularly identifying philosophies that he may have passed down for instance?

Don't really know too much about Hackett.

FWIW, he coached for over 40 years including 23 years in the NFL.

I remember Paul Hackett being mentioned as one of the "caretakers of the West Coast Offense" as he coached under BIll Walsh during the Niners glory years of the early 80s. I think that's where his good reputation came from.

Regardless, I'm thinking Nate probably has a very high football IQ.

Seems Spiller broke one for like 65 yards vs the Jets. His only high yardage play of the game.

I was talking generalities, not specifics.

I could be totally wrong(likely am).....but I recall early in the season we were regularly getting good production out of our many & varied screen plays. Commentators started commenting on how masterful we were at doing it.

As time went on I noticed that the plays that were getting 1st downs regularly earlier in the season were being sniffed out by defenses later in the season and our overall productivity in those plays seemed dramatically reduced.

I'm not going to do the research on such a small concept. I'm happy enough thinking that Chan dogmatically stuck with something that no longer was working how he envisioned it should.

Edited by Dibs

Did anyone else notice that half way through the season our screens started to no longer be effective?

Yet we persisted for the rest of the year with it.

That is Chan Gailey for you. As I posted on another thread, Gailey lost his job, because he failed to make his adjustments , in spite of it all being very obvious. He failed to make any half-time game day adjustments, failed to go to another QB when his starter was failing miserably. Even the out-in-the flat throw cost us a TD against Miami at their one-yard line, because the play was so predictable.

A full day and 25 pages with no one stating the real reason behind the hire - obviously another PR move by Brandon to further regionalize the fan base

Maybe its me but the Hackett interview made me more excited about Marrone when during the last question about what kind of coach Marrone is and Hackett said he is an old school tough coach and it showed highlights of Marrone running on the field to a group of players who had just scored a TD and started giving them high fives and slapping them on the helmet.

Love a coach who is fired up

CBF