PFF Grades for Bills players...Yeah, Fitz actually DOES suck!

Big Turk

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, I wouldn't throw Fitzy under the bus just yet. Did anyone ever stop to think that perhaps Gailey didn't allow Fitz to do certain things? Makes me think back to when Stevie stated that Gailey should let Fitz do his thing once in a while. The same goes for Spiller how Gailey would hold him back and stated that it was because he was winded. All I know is that Fitz did pretty good when running the No Huddle offense which is similar to the k gun.

I actually see Fitz' play as just the opposite. He would have been significantly worse w/o Gailey's schemes - where would Fitz' yardage numbers be w/o all those screen plays Gailey emphasized so much?

I remember Fitz playing for Jauron - that was really ugly.

He has a weak arm, poor accuracy, and often makes poor decisions at critical times. Not much of that is coaching.

Loved the post.

and i want to say I was pretty close to being right all along...

1. ive been saying for every year AFTER Byrd had his lucky rookie season, that hes the 2nd best safety in the NFL (1st best since polamalu has been hurt the past 1.5 seasons. I must also give LaRon Landry an honorable mention here.) And i have put him as the no. 1 player on our defense over kyle williams.

2. Ive drafted CJ spiller in my fantasy league both of the past two years. But holysh!t he's the most awing and surprising football player i think ive ever seen and have stated all season long that he is the second best back in football After A.P. (to give it historical perspective: I put him up their with Eric Moulds when the DB couldn't tackle Him, Roscoe Parrish of the Juron era, and Antwan smith when he used to break long touchdown runs in rookie season)

Aside for all of you Arian Foster Lovers: DO YOU EVER NOTICE THAT HE NEVER GETS TOUCHED? THAT HE JUST RUNS THOUGH GIANT HOLES? Friend Jackson could go be a 1600 yard rusher in houston. EZ. (the same goes for Ray Rice)

3. Sanchez is Horrid, so i graham, all of our CBs with gilmore's coverage being little better than AVG. but man o man can that kid tackle. He reminds me of antwan winfield and nate clements when we had them here in their prime,

These types of analyses are interesting but you are left to wonder how they could come to such different conclusions. Football Outsiders DVOA and ESPN's TQBR have Fitz in the mid 20's. Hanging in the group with Rivers, Cutler, Freeman, Hasselbeck, Palmer, etc.

Here's their link:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb

It's a wildly different measure at its core. Ones a per play average and the other is a summation of individual play scores.

I'd wonder if you divide the total score by total plays (to get this back to an average) - if he's rank more similarly.

For instance fitz as a 16 game starter will be high in yardage, tds, etc and seemingly high in volume of bad plays by this measure.

I have a subscription to PFF due to working on a football project, so I have access to all their advanced stat grades. Basically they grade every player on every play during the season and keep a cumulitive grade for them the entire season.

I am going to give you the Best and Worst 7 player grades for the Bills(not including special teams) so we can have some dialogue...I have to admit some of these were pretty surprising to me:

Top 7 Bills Grades(Previous Year Grade)

1) Kyle Williams: +29.4(-2.2 due largely to injury as he was +44.2 in 2010) 3rd highest DT grade in the NFL(Atkins, McCoy)

2) CJ Spiller: +25.4(+7.9) 2nd highest RB grade in the NFL(Peterson)

3) Jairus Byrd: +23.7(+15.3) 2nd highest S grade in the NFL(Weddle)

4) Andy Levitre: +17.3(+19.2) 9th highest G grade in the NFL

5) George Wilson: +12.4(+1.0) 8th highest S grade in the NFL

6) Mario Williams: +10.0(+8.4 with Houston---despite playing under 1/4 of total snaps due to injury) 17th highest DE grade in NFL(directly ahead of Peppers)

7) Stevie Johnson: +9.8(+8.6) 25th highest WR grade in the NFL

***Alex Carrington(+8.9 on defense/+5.7 special teams for +14.6 total would be included if I looked at special teams)---he had a tremendous year and looks like he is becoming a very good player...

-Big surprise to me on this list is George Wilson, who I thought played rather poorly overall this year, but he had a much higher grade this year than he did last year(+1.0), when I thought he played really well, so what do I know, apparently...Kyle Williams had another good year for the Bills, even playing hurt, and Spiller obviously would have been number 1 if he had more touches...Byrd made a HUGE jump from last year and its obvious he is getting ready to hit his prime...Bills would be foolish to let him walk...Levitre actually had a slightly WORSE year than last year, but still very solid. Mario had a decent year, not great, but nowhere near as bad as people have made out to be...

Worst 7 Bills Grades(Previous Year Grade)

1) Ryan Fitzpatrick: -18.6(-5.6) 35th ranked QB---4th from bottom

2) TJ Graham: -15.3(NA) 105th ranked WR---WORST ranked WR in the NFL = B. U. S. T. now we see why he couldn't get on the field

3) Mark Anderson: -12.5(+14.5 with New England---2nd highest on defense)

4) Justin Rogers: -9.9(-1.1) 107th ranked CB in the NFL---7th from bottom

5) Erik Pears: -7.2(+6.4) mainly due to playing with injury...

6) Kyle Moore: -7.1(-2.5) 49th ranked DE in the NFL

7) Aaron Williams: -6.6(N/A) 92nd ranked CB in the NFL(tied with Nate Clements)...

-No surprise that Fitzpatrick was no the list, but to see him as having the single worst grade on the entire team was very surprising to me. So obvious he needs to go, especially since he got worse, actually MUCH worse than last year. In fact, Fitz had only 1 game where he graded higher than +1.0 this year, and that was in week 9 against Houston(+1.3), where he had the benefit of the bye to have an extra prep week...In fact, Fitz was so bad, he graded out higher than only 3 other QB's in the NFL...John Skelton(-20.2), Mark Sanchez(-22.1), and Brandon Weeden(-30.0). In comparison, Peyton Manning led the league with +53.2. 14 QBs had a grade of +10 or higher, including Miami's rookie QB Ryan Tannehill at 11.2...

-Something that WAS surprising however, was that Mark Anderson had as poor a grade as he did after having the second highest grade on New England's defense last year, and missing a large part of the year. If he stayed healthy and played as poorly as he did early in the year, Anderson would have had the worst grade by far and away of any Bills player. Graham had a pretty awful year, which was bore out as him being the second worst graded player. Rogers struggled badly, which is no shocker...Pears was injured so a lot of his poor play was due to that, IMHO since he had a good grade last year....Moore and Williams both struggled to make plays...

-the Bills and Chargers were the only 2 teams to have 3 CB's each receive a grade of -4.0 or lower(Gilmore -4.2, Williams -6.6, Rogers -9.9)---Gilmore will get better, but boy we need some help at the other corner...

Now onto something that bodes well for the Bills:

We have arguments on the forums of how much better the Bills are, if at all since 2010 when Gailey took over, and I am happy to shed some light on it based on the overall team grades at PFF. The Bills, are in fact better, and significantly so.

In 2010, the Bills had a team grade of -91.9, which improved to +49.6 in 2011 and more than doubled in 2012 to +111.9.

This team is on the right track, with better players,which is born out in the individual grades as well over that timeframe if you look at the players who received a grade of +1.0 or higher and the players who received a grade of -1.0 or lower:

In 2010, the offense was +5/-16 and the defense was +6/-17 for a total of +11/-33(11 players had a grade of +1.0 or better, 33 had a grade of -1.0 or worse)

In 2011, the offense was +11/-13 and the defense was +7/-15 for a total of +18/-22

In 2012, the offense was +12/-6 and the defense was +12/-11 for a total of +24/-17---the first time the + players outnumbered the minus players on this team...

We are headed in the right direction and with a few more players and a better coaching job, this could easily be a playoff team next year. As an added, highlight, and someone who appears to be a diamond in the rough(other than Carrington), is Chad Rhinehart, who had the 3rd highest grade on the team in 2011 at +16.1, and led all offensive lineman in run blocking with +4.9(Lee Smith led the team in run blocking at +5.0)...Kraig Urbik had a +8.3 grade in 2011 and a +6.7 grade this year, so while good, it appears that Rhinehart is the better player...Cordy Glenn had a +6.7 grade to lead all rookies this year.

So in summary, we are headed in the right direction talent wise, we CANNOT afford to lose our 3rd(Byrd) and 4th(Levitre) best player on the team in UFA, we have improved steadily and measurably since 2011 even if it doesn't look like it to the naked eye, Alex Carrington is about to blossom into a potential star, and Chad Rhinehart is a diamond in the rough. Oh yeah, Fitz is bad and regressed very badly this year to have his worst season as a starter for the Bills. We also have the 3rd, 15th and 16th ranked DT's by grade in the NFL(Williams, Carrington, Dareus)

Time to put these Irish lads in our analytical department.

I enjoy reading PFF but something has to be wrong with that G. Wilson grade...

Having a quick look I'd guess that our poor run D contributed to his stats inflating.

He was 3rd in tackles for all Safeties in 2012.

Sheppard graded out pretty much as expected, the worst of the bunch at -5.0, including a very bad -7.6 against the run. His pass rush and pass coverage grades were actually positive 1.8 and 1.2 respectfully, but he needs to shore up the run D big time...our run D is gonna continue to have major issues if one of the DT's(Dareus at -8.7) and the MLB directly behind him are this bad in run D....

Barnett actually surprised me as he received a grade of +6.0, including a good grade against the run of +6.4, a +1.9 in pass coverage(shockingly), but a -4.0 in pass rushing...

Bradham finished kinda meh, with an overall grade of -0.2, essentially 0...Moats was actually an upgrade especially against the run as he finished with a +2.8 run grade

Bryan Scott finished with a -1.7 grade, including a poor -6.4 against the run, but he did have a good +5.5 grade in pass coverage...

Barnett is the best of the bunch, and was actually the 9th highest graded 4-3 OLB in the NFL last year, directly behind Donta Hightower...

Here is their grading methodology

http://www.profootba.../about/grading/

Another note:

one totally blown play resulting in an 80 yard run -2, four decent plays cleaning up someone's mess or possibly not showing up on screen at all, +2. net of five plays, 0. Impact of 5 plays, hugely bad.

Something to keep in mind with any of the numbers.

See to my eyes Bryan Scott should have easily graded out as the worst linebacker. I think that was obvious to everyone who watched the games. But as NoSaint pointed out, because its a net total for a game, the numbers could be skewed. Case in point, the last game of the season againts the Jest. Bryan Scott had a INT return for a TD, which surely was a +2.0 for him and made up for any other bad plays he had. Which if you intercept a ball or recover a fumble, you shouldn't be given a pass for the rest of the game.

Fitz sucks. Water is Wet. Fire is Hot. Dogs Bark. Tell us something that isn't so obvious. It will be an embarrassment to Bills fans everywhere if Fitz is starting at QB on opening day next season.

4. Well all of you tards have been whining for EASLY and saying that carrington would/should be cut and sucks. I said carrington pwned.

And we are all Tards?