When was the last time that things were good?

Juror#8

Although I wasn't around, and as a student of none revised history, I'd say that times were best prior to the mid 60's in America. Of course somewhat subjective (What isn't in the mind of a liberal), I'd say that prior to the Vietnam War, and the sexual/drug revolution, the people representative of what it was to be American were pretty amazing people. Fast forward a bit and in the late 70's, and early 80's when every day became a working day; the onset of the 24/7 culture began the decline of the American family. Not all by itself I imagine, the working woman, or two working parent household surely didn't help matters, but to me when I try an reflect and identify what is wrong with society, it always comes down to moments when the American family has been weakened from one attacking source or another. No fault divorce, discrimination in child custody matters favoring women, forcing both parents to work just to make ends meet, decline of religion (Although I'm an atheist) in society. The list is long and not one thing was the catalyst, but the moral decay in entertainment hasn't helped, holding our children accountable in school and at home, removing failure as an option.. I mean I could go on forever, and all to often good well intentioned government is not sophisticated enough to craft policy with the knowledge that no one really knows the effects. This is so true of the little tiny things that have eaten away at our family culture over the years. If there is one thing that is true on a macro scale about change, it is that, it happens slowly, and the future consequences are virtually never quantifiable. Although I'm not religious I oppose gay marriage, and my liberal friends always are puzzled and I say simply that no one knows how much further adopting gay marriage will erode the American family. Some argue that it might strengthen it, yet I see no reason to believe that theory, and please I'm using gay marriage as merely an example, NOT for a topic of debate. I've argued the issue ad infinitum, and there's nothing I haven't heard on the subject.

Point is, I'm babbling now, but it is my firm opinion that a society is as strong as the strength and importance it places on the family unit. The weaker the family, the weaker the society.

Tim-

Although I wasn't around, and as a student of none revised history, I'd say that times were best prior to the mid 60's in America. Of course somewhat subjective (What isn't in the mind of a liberal), I'd say that prior to the Vietnam War, and the sexual/drug revolution, the people representative of what it was to be American were pretty amazing people. Fast forward a bit and in the late 70's, and early 80's when every day became a working day; the onset of the 24/7 culture began the decline of the American family. Not all by itself I imagine, the working woman, or two working parent household surely didn't help matters, but to me when I try an reflect and identify what is wrong with society, it always comes down to moments when the American family has been weakened from one attacking source or another. No fault divorce, discrimination in child custody matters favoring women, forcing both parents to work just to make ends meet, decline of religion (Although I'm an atheist) in society. The list is long and not one thing was the catalyst, but the moral decay in entertainment hasn't helped, holding our children accountable in school and at home, removing failure as an option.. I mean I could go on forever, and all to often good well intentioned government is not sophisticated enough to craft policy with the knowledge that no one really knows the effects. This is so true of the little tiny things that have eaten away at our family culture over the years. If there is one thing that is true on a macro scale about change, it is that, it happens slowly, and the future consequences are virtually never quantifiable. Although I'm not religious I oppose gay marriage, and my liberal friends always are puzzled and I say simply that no one knows how much further adopting gay marriage will erode the American family. Some argue that it might strengthen it, yet I see no reason to believe that theory, and please I'm using gay marriage as merely an example, NOT for a topic of debate. I've argued the issue ad infinitum, and there's nothing I haven't heard on the subject.

Point is, I'm babbling now, but it is my firm opinion that a society is as strong as the strength and importance it places on the family unit. The weaker the family, the weaker the society.

Tim-

Pre 60s USA was great. So long as you were a white male.

We've made many advances since the sixties and before. What has happened to the black family unit is certainly not an advancement since then.

That's for sure, but he does have a point to a degree. That said, the American black family is in much dire shape than the rest fo us, and it ain't due to lack of money or effort on the part of the rest of America.

Tim-

That's for sure, but he does have a point to a degree. That said, the American black family is in much dire shape than the rest fo us, and it ain't due to lack of money or effort on the part of the rest of America.

Tim-

They used to be as much if not more family oriented than the "white folks". We can debate the reasons, but i think white "do gooders" have more than their share of blame.

We debate incessantly that _______ is "returning us to this," or "trying to turn this country into that," or "plunging this country into __________," etc.

When was the last time that things were good?

In your lifetime, has it ever been "good"?

I understand that everything is relative so I'd be interested to hear about the "better times." However, if you're fortunate enough to have experienced prosperity, no politico-social complaints (relative to you), and a full satisfaction with our national political direction, it would be interesting to hear about it.

Cause for all the griping we do about what is or isn't, no one has ever mentioned when it was. And how can you know if any political party can do it, if you don't know if it's even possible, or if there is some historical basis for what it's like if you get there...

I mean can you really hate or love the woman that you've never known?

the end of innocence for me came unexpectedly. i was nine or so when the nixon impeachment hearings took place. oddly enough, i rushed home to watch what went down, kimba be damned.

jw

I know that things are never going to be ideal. But when things are going bad for me I know that there is only one person to blame.

CANADA!!

truly, what's your point?

So why do you vote? Why do you have a pronounced political opinion?

Everyone here discusses what they don't like about the controlling political establishment. That presupposes that they have a vision of what the nation should be like that Obama, Bush, or whomever has not created.

I'm just want to know when was the last time that the nation was like what you want it to be again?

What does politics have to do with the question "When was the last time things were good?"

the end of innocence for me came unexpectedly. i was nine or so when the nixon impeachment hearings took place. oddly enough, i rushed home to watch what went down, kimba be damned.

jw

Yeah, what Nixon was involved in is eclipsed almost weekly now in the White House in terms of rotten judgement and covering up the truth.

Tim-

You can see the shift in values and personal responsibility every day in the parking lot of any plaza, supermarket or Walmart. When I was a kid, I was taught not to cross the road or parking lot until it was clear to do so. Now people step off the curb on street corners and leaving stores and just expect cars to stop for them as walk selfishly slow. You'll then often notice the ugly shape of their bodies and their absolutely rudderless approach and facial expressions as they walk. Then, the same idiots may have opened their car door into yours and thought nothing of it as they get back into their dirty unmaintained car and drive away.

You can see the shift in values and personal responsibility every day in the parking lot of any plaza, supermarket or Walmart. When I was a kid, I was taught not to cross the road or parking lot until it was clear to do so. Now people step off the curb on street corners and leaving stores and just expect cars to stop for them as walk selfishly slow. You'll then often notice the ugly shape of their bodies and their absolutely rudderless approach and facial exp<b></b>ressions as they walk. Then, the same idiots may have opened their car door into yours and thought nothing of it as they get back into their dirty unmaintained car and drive away.

Stuckincincy is back!

Tim-

This ^^^

Based on?

Infant abandonment was a common practice among Roman family units. Their society was strong.

Based on?

Infant abandonment was a common practice among Roman family units. Their society was strong.

So, deserting your offspring has no negative affects on the family unit? The link below explains how it does for the black family. It would be true for whatever color a person is.

http://www.rhrealitycheck.org/reader-diaries/2011/02/28/poverty-powerlessness-black-family-unit

The rates of unplanned adolescent pregnancies are highest in the black community as well as the incidence and current prevalence of single parent (mother) homes. These two disproportionate circumstances go hand in hand. 1) It already incredibly stunts the women’s ability to pursue education because she has to stop and take care of her family. 2) In over 50% of these circumstances in black families the father does not contribute financially at all to assist with raising the child which contributes to the poverty and powerlessness of the black family unit. With the help of the father, the mother would not suffer as much financially, but that is never something most young black mothers can count on. Why is it that the black man is given the choice of taking the easy option out, when the majority of men in other cultures are dedicated to raising their children and helping the mother, regardless of whether it was their choice to have the child. And then just be fair, why doesn’t the black woman get a choice? Why is she forced to be both a mother and a father?

So, deserting your offspring has no negative affects on the family unit? The link below explains how it does for the black family. It would be true for whatever color a person is.

http://www.rhreality...ack-family-unit

The rates of unplanned adolescent pregnancies are highest in the black community as well as the incidence and current prevalence of single parent (mother) homes. These two disproportionate circumstances go hand in hand. 1) It already incredibly stunts the women’s ability to pursue education because she has to stop and take care of her family. 2) In over 50% of these circumstances in black families the father does not contribute financially at all to assist with raising the child which contributes to the poverty and powerlessness of the black family unit. With the help of the father, the mother would not suffer as much financially, but that is never something most young black mothers can count on. Why is it that the black man is given the choice of taking the easy option out, when the majority of men in other cultures are dedicated to raising their children and helping the mother, regardless of whether it was their choice to have the child. And then just be fair, why doesn’t the black woman get a choice? Why is she forced to be both a mother and a father?

I'd just like to add that in addition to the erosion of the family unit (all families generally) there doesn't seem to be any shame anymore. It seems as though no act or action is shameful? Although liberals will argue that morality is subjective, and to some extent perhaps they're right, however it is my firm opinion that in the rush to destroy religion in western societies, the purveyors of anti-religious tenants forgot one major thing. They forgot that, without a foundation of objective truth, commonly shared among society members, there effectively is no truth. We offset the subjective (in theory) with the use of common law; turning the subjective into the incontrovertible truth, and it makes us all feel like we're doing it the right way, indifferent to any higher authority. Common law has become just that. Things we all agree on, things most of us agree on, and things some of us agree on. Enter the lack of shame, and dwindling of morality in society and we now have things we all agree on, and just things some of us agree on. Things most of us agree on, is no longer a marker for authority. We have within us a society that 50% of the people think the other 50% are completely nutz, and vice-versa. Because everyone has a plural voice at the table, effectively no one can be heard.

Philosophical gobbily goop aside, you can't pin-point what it is, but you know it when you see it. In statistical analysis when this occurs we look for correlations. Although not evidence of casue, correlates lead us in the right direction in search of the truth. The family is breaking apart, that much is certain. The leading edge on what is shameful has ben virtually wiped away from the sand, and generally as a society, I don't see how we can get it back without a great deal of pain and sorrow.

When I speak with liberals (friends included) they always seem to argue from the point of the exceptional. Rather, an issue, regardless of what it is, seems worthy of repair even if the catalyst for change is an exceptional circumstance. That is to say that it's not the general rule that matters to liberals, it almost always is the exception to the rule that is required to make the general rule, now not the rule. Almost all liberal legislation from the 20's til now has been based on an exceptional circumstance that required the change in direction. I agrue that, from a philosophical standpoint, an exception to the rule should never become the rule. IN stats analytics, exceptions are weighted, BUT only if they appear frequently enough, and ONLY if they are predicatable.

I dunno, all I want is to die knowing that my kids will have a fighting chance at life, and at this point in my life I'm not nearly as confident as I was 20 years ago.

Tim-