New DC. Do you prefer 3-4 or 4-3?

NewEra

Defense  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a DC that coaches 3-4 or 4-3!

That's really your biggest pet peeve? People wondering what alignment we're going to run predominantly.

With the Pettine hiring, it looks as if guys like Moore, mingo, j. Jones are in play. I'm more pumped than ever for the Draft. I really feel we go LB in round 1, unless there's a QB they really want at 8 (nassib)

Yes, it is. Hearing uninformed (I'm not talking about you) types keep repeating how the Bills will be "going in reverse if we go back to the 3-4" is driving me nuts.

Now, discussing what draft options might be in play is completely different.

It's more difficult than ever to find players that fit in an NFL ready 3-4 alignment. Having said that, defenses are much more of a hybrid than ever before, so the distinction between 3-4 and 4-3 may be fading somewhat.

This....

The league plays more of a chess match these days. I am just happy the D is likely to be more aggressive. How long has it been since we had a good defense in Buffalo? Seems like it has been forever.

Well said. I asked because it very well could dictate our 1st pick if they plan on going LB rd 1 and QB in rd 2. It looks as if there's more talent at 3-4 OLB than any other LB spot. I agree though, ideally, it would be nice to grab guys that can adapt to both. Can't wait for the draft already.

I'll concur, also. Marrone said this in the presser...run a scheme that fits to the personnel you have. Don't try to force a 3-4 on this team if you don't have the right players for it.

I don't really care which scheme we use.

As I've posted elsewhere Dom Capers, Wade Phillips, and Mike Nolan were all able to successfully implement the change from a 4-3 to a 3-4 in one offseason.

So I think people voicing concern about switching schemes and how it relates to a supposed learning curve are needlessly worrying.

Schematic changes in the past didn't work because the Bills didn't have the player talent or the coaching talent.

If Pettine's a good coach, the defense will improve noticeably.

As far as the players, I don't think the talent on the Bills lends itself any better one way or the other.