This is scary: Deadly zorb tragedy at Russian ski resort

truth on hold

Does this mean they broke the distance record for Zorbing/Sphereing: ??

Source: Wiki

"Records

The Guinness Book of World Records recognises two sphereing records, set over two consecutive days in 2006:

• Longest sphereing ride held by Steve Camp who travelled 570 metres (1,870 ft).
  • Fastest sphereing ride held by Keith Kolver who reached a speed of 52 kilometres per hour (32 mph).
  • Fastest 100m in a Zorb – 26.59 seconds. Held by Andrew Flintoff who broke the record as part of his attempt to break 12 world records in 12 hours for BBC Sport Relief

Deaths

In January 2013 Russian media reported a man was killed when a Zorb rolled out of control down a mountain, hitting rocks and eventually coming to a stop a kilometre away on a frozen lake. [7] The incident was caught on camera and uploaded to the internet."

Darwinism at it's finest.

Maybe not at its finest... One of the guys survived. Anyway... Did you catch the spotter @ the bottom... Man make him a Bill the way he over-pursued to the right! Man did he screw up... With no net or snow fence to the left... You think he would have been "playing the fall line!" (to the left). The guy on top of the hill at least tired to take an angle down the hill by getting an early jump when he seen it wasn't going all that well! OMG... Who the hell put that spotter @ the bottom... He's got blood on his hands!

Watch it again.. @ about 18 secs in, the spotter on the bottom "overpursues" thinking it will go onto the ski slope... BUT that slope is up the fall line... Then @ 21 secs to 26 secs... It goes terrible and wrong! Even the guys up top realize the mistake and their tone changes when the Zorb gets "behind" the spotter down the fall line! That is when they make a remarkable pursuit angle in vain...

Interesting, like watching the Pats* slice through the Bills D...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I wonder if he actually pushed it and influenced it swinging too far left. Hard to tell from that angle.

No. He just let the ball get behind him by over pursuing! He should have been guarding the fall line. From what it looks like, the ball would have never made it to left, that is UP hill. The guy up top picked up on it right away @ about 21 or so seconds and started to make the extreme angle down the hill to the left. The guys in the Zorb are helpless... It is the dolt on the bottom that totally pooched it. The guy on the bottom didn't read the hill at all! No way was it going to the right, he should have fell back into "prevent!"

Would have been nice if the guy up top had skis on... Not sure if he would have caught it, probably not... BUT even without skis, he got one hell of a jump on it! The snow just swallowed him up! I think he seen what was happening when the bottom spotter failed to guard the down hill line...

Tragic... One died.

There first mistake was putting two people in. Zorbs are only meant for one. I'm guessing the guy that died, did so because he lost his grip on the handles and was flying around inside, which is how the second person got the concussion.

There first mistake was putting two people in. Zorbs are only meant for one. I'm guessing the guy that died, did so because he lost his grip on the handles and was flying around inside, which is how the second person got the concussion.

Oh.....I thought it was because they were stupid. Come on, they set this thing up on the edge of a cliff and you crawl in it? :wallbash: