"Cleveland Browns Day" @Rich Stadium

Punch

Does anyone recall the specific game where Ralph's tribute to the Browns took place?

For those that don't know, sometime after the Browns left for Baltimore, Ralph Wilson bussed in numerous Browns' fans and created a one-time "Dawg Pound" at Rich Stadium--- complete with that big dude in the #98 jersey, although this time it was Buffalo Bills red, white & blue. I'm watching the A Football Life about the 1995 Cleveland Browns--- not ashamed to admit I started crying like a baby at parts--- and couldn't recall the specific details.

After attempting a google search, I read on a Browns' message board that Mr. Wilson continued bussing Browns' fans to Rich Stadium for 3 years until the team returned to Cleveland, paying for it himself (can anyone corroborate this?? I only recall it being one game).

It's also worth noting that only 2 owners voted against the move: Mr. Rooney & Mr. Wilson, with Al Davis abstaining.

I've often had difficulty giving Ralph a hard time over the years for his various faults due to moments like this--- a Browns' fan I know is still grateful.

Let me get back to my beer--- but if you're up late with a drink in your hand, consider tipping one to Ralph and the Dawg Pound. They're our brothers & sisters in misery along Lake Erie, after all.

Here's some 1996 articles I found....

http://www.apnewsarc...16c6a2a1e2f1105

http://www.apnewsarc...027d45fa163bcf7

http://www.apnewsarc...73f32bddc3e2ea2

http://www.enquirer..../082196_ts.html

This would have been the first year after the Ravens left for Baltimore.

In this page, I found a couple sentences about the 1997 game....

And probably always will: The Buffalo Bills held their second annual Cleveland Day in honor of Browns fans, whose team moved to Baltimore two years ago. The Bills played Denver, which beat Cleveland in three AFC championship games, and one sign at Rich Stadium said: "Cleveland Still Hates Elway."

Yes..I recall that too. I saw the Cleveland Browns thing on the NFLN a few months ago, and I admit, I got pretty choked up during it. Part of of it is just the insane/illogical/irrational bond we have with our teams....and then there always seems to be the specter of the same thing happening in Buffalo. I always feel a little affection for the Browns and Bengals.

Here's some 1996 articles I found....

http://www.apnewsarc...16c6a2a1e2f1105

This would have been the first year after the Ravens left for Baltimore.

In this page, I found a couple sentences about the 1997 game....

Just Jack, thank so you much for that. I'm assuming my googling skills are temporarily suspended due to my current emotional and temporarily inebriated state

:blush:

This gesture on Ralph's part has always gotten to me. The cynical Bills fan could suggest The Bills were merely trying to expand their marketing reach, but that would fly in the face of the open admission in the first article you posted that they could never convert lifelong Browns fans. Thanks again.

:beer: :beer: :beer:

EDIT: It's also pretty interesting that in that last bit you posted verifying the 2nd "annual" Dawg Pound Game at Rich Stadium, there's a note about the incident where Harbaugh punched Jimbo for ciriticizing him when he was working as a TV analyst. It honestly seems like yesterday--- half my lifetime ago!

Yes..I recall that too. I saw the Cleveland Browns thing on the NFLN a few months ago, and I admit, I got pretty choked up during it. Part of of it is just the insane/illogical/irrational bond we have with our teams....and then there always seems to be the specter of the same thing happening in Buffalo. I always feel a little affection for the Browns and Bengals.

The 1995 A Football Life is particularly affecting during the segment where they portray the final Browns game in Cleveland Municipal Stadium--- especially the part where Steve Everitt, Earnest Byner and others run over to the Dawg Pound at the end of the game to say "goodbye". FFS, it was Niagara Falls. The emotion was still so raw for these guys, and Byner's reaction is really what put it over the top.

The 2nd half of the episode focuses even more on Belichick and his descendants, so it loses a bit of it's heart. Although, it's still interesting to speculate on what might have been in Cleveland.

You're absolutely right about the "specter". That's exactly what makes it so ever present in my mind. Hopefully, we never need to experience that, but if we do, perhaps Cleveland will return the favor.

Edited by Punch

I believe it was the playoff game against Jacksonville that ended being Jim Kelly's last game. I traveled up from Virginia for the game and saw the Dog Pound guys in the parking lot. I saw that A Football Life on the '95 Browns a week or so ago, really great piece. That team was just coming into it's own and was a favorite for the Super Bowl. When Modell made the announcement that team fell apart. Never really blamed Modell myself though, that city built new stadiums for every Pro Team as well as the R&R HOF, but the Browns stadium was a roach infested Shiiithole.

Edited by BuffBill

Does anyone recall the specific game where Ralph's tribute to the Browns took place?

For those that don't know, sometime after the Browns left for Baltimore, Ralph Wilson bussed in numerous Browns' fans and created a one-time "Dawg Pound" at Rich Stadium--- complete with that big dude in the #98 jersey, although this time it was Buffalo Bills red, white & blue. I'm watching the A Football Life about the 1995 Cleveland Browns--- not ashamed to admit I started crying like a baby at parts--- and couldn't recall the specific details.

After attempting a google search, I read on a Browns' message board that Mr. Wilson continued bussing Browns' fans to Rich Stadium for 3 years until the team returned to Cleveland, paying for it himself (can anyone corroborate this?? I only recall it being one game).

It's also worth noting that only 2 owners voted against the move: Mr. Rooney & Mr. Wilson, with Al Davis abstaining.

I've often had difficulty giving Ralph a hard time over the years for his various faults due to moments like this--- a Browns' fan I know is still grateful.

Let me get back to my beer--- but if you're up late with a drink in your hand, consider tipping one to Ralph and the Dawg Pound. They're our brothers & sisters in misery along Lake Erie, after all.

Actually the Rams and Cardinals abstained from voting also. Interesting is, Ralph was probably Modell's best friend in the NFL, and the only reason Ralph voted against him was Modell didn't give Cleveland the opportunity to match Baltimore's offer. The NFL knew a team would be back in Cleveland, but Modell couldn't get a stadium and the NFL used the city of Cleveland knowing that if it was part of getting a team back, a new stadium would be built.