Interesting tidbits from LaCanfora re: search

l< j

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Disclaimer: I don't really care who met who when and where.

But I wonder whatever happened to the days of staking out the hotel lobby and actually following people around to report on their whereabouts.

It seems like all the teams and particularly the Bills, were pretty successful at avoiding the detection of the who, what, where, when of the meetings.

It seems like no reporters made an effort to actually follow them. And I'm talking about the big-name, highly paid national reporters who are backed by big-money companies like ESPN.

Really all you would need to know is which hotel the front officces were staying in. Hire a private detective for God's sake if you're too lazy. Get photos with time stamps of of people and places.

It seems to me that the prime reporters didn't know what was happening because they were too busy waiting to get info from their sources instead of acting like reporters.

But I wonder whatever happened to the days of staking out the hotel lobby and actually following people around to report on their whereabouts.

It seems like all the teams and particularly the Bills, were pretty successful at avoiding the detection of the who, what, where, when of the meetings.

It seems like no reporters made an effort to actually follow them. And I'm talking about the big-name, highly paid national reporters who are backed by big-money companies like ESPN.

Really all you would need to know is which hotel the front officces were staying in. Hire a private detective for God's sake if you're too lazy. Get photos with time stamps of of people and places.

It seems to me that the prime reporters didn't know what was happening because they were too busy waiting to get info from their sources instead of acting like reporters.

I'll throw a little bone at the press. Do you know the cost of a decent PI? I don't but I imagine it's not less than $100/hr. So you will be paying this guy at least $2,400 for one day work, $16,800 for the week? I don't see any traditional news organization with that kind of budget to throw at speculating on a coaching search.

Here's what the conversation went like:

jw: Dear Mr. AP head honcho, can you please give me $17k for a private eye for a week?

AP head honcho: How about you call the Bills and your other sources and tell me about it on twitter? I'll make sure that bars stay open until last call.

agreed. on all fronts.

The Bills all stayed at a resort hotel in Phoenix, or Scottsdale, where there are about 100 of them. It was one none of the other teams stayed at, according to Brandon. They basically had a big suite and just stayed up there talking to guys who would come in and stay for a few hours each. I'm sure they went out in public for some meals, but the press basically got it right with who they interviewed. Just because they said Whisenhunt was the favorite means little to me, mostly because ] it was said BEFORE they started any interviews, and 2] it came mostly from the assumption that because Whaley knew him in Pitts he would want him more, which to me was just nonsense.

I'll throw a little bone at the press. Do you know the cost of a decent PI? I don't but I imagine it's not less than $100/hr. So you will be paying this guy at least $2,400 for one day work, $16,800 for the week? I don't see any traditional news organization with that kind of budget to throw at speculating on a coaching search.

jw: Dear Mr. AP head honcho, can you please give me $17k for a private eye for a week?

AP head honcho: How about you call the Bills and your other sources and tell me about it on twitter? I'll make sure that bars stay open until last call.

yes, but let's say nbc sports network decided that they wanted their own "lacanfora," so they established a persona, who sat in front of the camera on their sunday night show, and reported what his "sources" (private investigators) were telling him,

after hitting 5-10 stories dead on, people would take notice.

more people would watch the show.

more people watching the show, means commercials cost more.

more expensive commercials = more profit for the network.

more profit for the network = bigger budget for private investigators to pound the pavement and break stories.

rinse and repeat.

it's not far fetched at all.

It's probably more like 95%.... :oops:

I'm embarrassed that it took me a minute, but that's really funny - bravo, sir!

If he was our first choice we would have hired him, as he is still unemployed.

Seriously - how can that even be a question at this point - he's still available, and I haven't heard any other teams trying to get him.

Edited by BobChalmers

yes, but let's say nbc sports network decided that they wanted their own "lacanfora," so they established a persona, who sat in front of the camera on their sunday night show, and reported what his "sources" (private investigators) were telling him,

after hitting 5-10 stories dead on, people would take notice.

more people would watch the show.

more people watching the show, means commercials cost more.

more expensive commercials = more profit for the network.

more profit for the network = bigger budget for private investigators to pound the pavement and break stories.

rinse and repeat.

it's not far fetched at all.

That's even more farfetched, because a national reporter would need to follow all seven openings at the same time. So the tab is now $100k per week. No way does a network approve that spend.

As opposed to Lacanfora or another talking head calling on all their sources?

PS - why do you think Schefter is the one who "broke" the news at 5am?

Odds are that Whisenhunt was the Bills first choice, based on the reported rumors at the time.

he was the 1st choice after he was the 1st interview. :) Given that that passed on him, he clearly wasn't their 1st choice, unless you assume he said no to them.

he was the 1st choice after he was the 1st interview. :) Given that that passed on him, he clearly wasn't their 1st choice, unless you assume he said no to them.

Or he was their choice but was asking for too much power and/or money for the Bills to agree.

Likely a combination of the two above.

It's real simple. No matter who the boss is, it's Ralph's money. You may not like it, but it's his money doing the talking, not Russ Brandon's.

no. It's really not as simple as your argument is. It's more simple for my argument. Ralph gave complete control to Russ Brandon. He is in charge of the Buffalo Bills in every way. He made comments that the team needed to turn around. He is the one that decided there is no way he could keep season ticket sales with Chan coming back even though Buddy wanted to keep him in the name of continuity.

Every move we've seen so far has Brandon's stench all over it. It's a good thing and he is essentially the NEW Owner of the Bills until Ralph passes and the team is either sold or auctioned off. His press conference giving him full control has proved that. He doesn't need to answer to Ralph for anything.

That's even more farfetched, because a national reporter would need to follow all seven openings at the same time. So the tab is now $100k per week. No way does a network approve that spend.

As opposed to Lacanfora or another talking head calling on all their sources?

PS - why do you think Schefter is the one who "broke" the news at 5am?

My larger point is that it seems like very few of the big name reporters were doing any actual hard reporting.

My impression is that the media basically had no idea of what was going on in Arizona. They were fed a lot of misinformation and reported lots of it and then didn't report on meetings that actually happened.

My impression is that the big-name NFL reporters sat around waiting for the phone to ring so they could be spoonfed rumors from their sources. I don't get the impression that there was any hard reporting going on, meaning, staking out hotel lobbies, asking questions at hotel front desks, having the intern talk to the bartender, talking to the concierge, the maitre'd and doing all those things that hard news reporters do to get to the bottom of a story.

As for hiring a private detective for a few hours to establish locations of people so you have them on your radar screen, I think you greatly overstate the cost, especially relative to the benefit.

JMO.

My larger point is that it seems like very few of the big name reporters were doing any actual hard reporting.

My impression is that the media basically had no idea of what was going on in Arizona. They were fed a lot of misinformation and reported lots of it and then didn't report on meetings that actually happened.

My impression is that the big-name NFL reporters sat around waiting for the phone to ring so they could be spoonfed rumors from their sources. I don't get the impression that there was any hard reporting going on, meaning, staking out hotel lobbies, asking questions at hotel front desks, having the intern talk to the bartender, talking to the concierge, the maitre'd and doing all those things that hard news reporters do to get to the bottom of a story.

As for hiring a private detective for a few hours to establish locations of people so you have them on your radar screen, I think you greatly overstate the cost, especially relative to the benefit.

JMO.

I'm not sure what the perceived benefit is here? 1st, it is sports, not Iran-Contra. 2nd, while interesting, the importance of who the Bills are talking to at any exact moment in time is debatable. In fact, you could say the fanbase extracts just as much entertainment from made up stories as they would from the truth. So, where is the need?

I'm not sure what the perceived benefit is here? 1st, it is sports, not Iran-Contra. 2nd, while interesting, the importance of who the Bills are talking to at any exact moment in time is debatable. In fact, you could say the fanbase extracts just as much entertainment from made up stories as they would from the truth. So, where is the need?

Actually there is no need.

That's why hard reporting is dying.

For all intents and purposes, John Clayton really could live in his Mom's basement.

And the fact that Wisenhunt has not yet been scooped in spite of 5 openings indicates that there are some serious red flags (Mainly in QB evaluation). I am glad we passed on him.