Interesting tidbits from LaCanfora re: search

l< j

Right. It really doesn't.

I think Brandon is great at his job. I don't really believe much of what he says in public, which is one of the few things I don't like about him.

I agree there--like his whopper about the increased Ontario season tickets being directly linked to the embarrassments in Toronto.

As much as I have called into question the rationale for picking Marrone, it think he is a better choice than Kelly (not you, of course).

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree there--like his whopper about the increased Ontario season tickets being directly linked to the embarrassments in Toronto.

How would you possibly know?

And the reason I don't believe him is not things like that, which are facts that can be found out if you had access to the information, and at some point there may be something to back that up. I don't believe all the hype and bluster that he says. I don't see him outright lying much if at all. Maybe he has, but that is not the stuff that I dislike about what he says, it is the rose colored glasses stuff.

Mark Gaughan, who is a very good reporter, very wired, and no shill for Brandon, also reported it.

Gaughan does point out that the series has been effective at drawing fans from Southern Ontario to Ralph Wilson Stadium, and also includes that the market has passed Rochester as the second most important for the team.

"The Bills, of course, see Southern Ontario as only growing in importance to the viability of their franchise," writes Gaughan. "Southern Ontario has crept past Rochester in the Bills' regionalization effort, accounting for a bit more than 15 percent of the fans at games in Orchard Park."

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012/9/17/3343428/buffalo-bills-toronto-series-extension-details

Edited by Kelly the Dog

How would you possibly know?

And the reason I don't believe him is not things like that, which are facts that can be found out if you had access to the information, and at some point there may be something to back that up. I don't believe all the hype and bluster that he says. I don't see him outright lying much if at all. Maybe he has, but that is not the stuff that I dislike about what he says, it is the rose colored glasses stuff.

Well, first, we don't have access to that info, and never will. Second, it doesn't pass the sniff test: those games are incredibly unpopular to everyone involved--players, fans, the media. You don't sell product in a new market by advertising how bad it is. Common sense.

Those increased ticket sales went up (if the did) despite those games. He was told by Ralph to buff up the deal to the press and fans--hence all the talk here about that 78 million making the Bills "more viable in WNY". So I guess he succeeded some here......

Edited by Mr. WEO

Agreed. Marrone was actually first interviewed Saturday afternoon, the third interview the Bills had after Whisenhunt and I think Horton on Saturday morning. Then Kelly was Saturday night (unless it was Kelly in the morning and Horton Saturday night).

Horton was on Wednesday. Whisenhunt on Tuesday.

Horton was on Wednesday. Whisenhunt on Tuesday.

Right. I just listened to his interview again. He seemed to say that they first met Marrone Wednesday night after they had interviewed Horton earlier in the day. Marrone was the third interview. So the friday interview, when they met with Kelly and Lovie and Marrone, could have been Marrone's second or third interview.

Not sure when Marone's first interview was, but Whaley was in NYC at the Pin Stripe Bowl.

Did he say that during his interview with John Murphy tonight? I haven't listened to the whole thing yet. I wonder how many players were being targeted for scouting purposes?

Why are they even mentioning Ralph? He's retired from making any decisions period. Russ Brandon is running the team now. End of story. LaCanfora is an idiot and apparently Didnt do his homework about Russ taking complete control.

It's real simple. No matter who the boss is, it's Ralph's money. You may not like it, but it's his money doing the talking, not Russ Brandon's.

There is one thing we know about the coaching searches. 98% of the information is inaccurate.

Bingo! It is incredible to me how wrong so many big media outlets can be with ZERO consequence. Somehow, people were dead wrong on the two big names (Kelly and Reid), yet it just gets swept under the rug.

Except that the timeline doesn't mesh with the number of times they said they had met with Marrone. Unless Brandon has instituted some new subterfuge gag order at OBD in less than a week, I found it odd that all speculation around the team was that Whiz was the top choice, and suddenly they reach a deal with Marrone overnight.

It wouldn't surprise me (yet make me laugh at the same time) if every team out there is feeding a bunch of BS to the supposed "insiders" at E$PN, PFT, etc. If the Bills really met with Marrone 5 times, then guys like Shefter, Florio, & Glazer would have to be ticked beyond belief that they were fed a bunch of malarkey.

That said, do we really believe they met with Marrone that many times in a week? Not impossible, but unlikely. Maybe some of those meetings were conference calls.

Nevertheless, the whole coaching search/rumor mongering has become one big game. I've stopped believing everyone until there's a presser introducing the new coach.

Word I've heard is that they wanted Marrone all along and they interviewed other guys for the Rooney rule and to see if any of them knocked their socks off, a la Mike Tomlin with the Steelers back in 2007, when Whisenhunt was all but assured to be getting that job. Whether that's true, I guess we'll never know.

Odds are that Whisenhunt was the Bills first choice, based on the reported rumors at the time.

Plus the fact that Russ is apparently "fond" of Wisenhunt There was also a twitter remark made by someone that it was Wisenhunt's job if he wants it :sick: (its in the Wisenhunt thread) I also read somewhere that the Bills interviewed Wisenhunt more then once.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/01/report-russ-brandon-fond-of-ken-whisenhunt/

I'd take Doug Marrone any day over another known loser (retread)HC

Its also interesting that Mike McCoy declined his interview with Buffalo on Sat and wanted to setup another interview after the playoffs. I guess the Bills didn't care to wait that long. I still have no idea why Lovie Smith didn't garner more attention.