Interesting tidbits from LaCanfora re: search

l< j

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/21511211/monday-observations-did-offensive-coordinators-job-chances-stall

Ken Whisenhunt was pretty deep into talks with the Bills when they went all in on Syracuse coach Doug Marrone, eventually agreeing to terms with the college coach on Saturday night. The Bills had reached a point where they were talking about offsets, and some pretty far-along contract language, according to league sources. One thing the Bills made clear to candidates in the coaching search is that owner Ralph Wilson, who isn't getting any younger, is very committed to spending to secure talent and try to build a winner, and they are open to change at the quarterback position.

The Whisenhunt bit is somewhat interesting but the 2nd piece I like.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.cbssports...b-chances-stall

The Whisenhunt bit is somewhat interesting but the 2nd piece I like.

Why would anyone think anything else though? No matter what anyone thinks of Ryan Fitzpatrick, good or bad, of course the team is open to a QB change... and the Bills have shown since Buddy Nix has come in that they will spend for talent. I think both things are pretty self-evident.

Why are they even mentioning Ralph? He's retired from making any decisions period. Russ Brandon is running the team now. End of story. LaCanfora is an idiot and apparently Didnt do his homework about Russ taking complete control.

Why would anyone think anything else though? No matter what anyone thinks of Ryan Fitzpatrick, good or bad, of course the team is open to a QB change... and the Bills have shown since Buddy Nix has come in that they will spend for talent. I think both things are pretty self-evident.

Evident to you, me, and (most) other Bills fans, but it probably doesn't hurt to make it known to prospective coaches that they will not be handcuffed when choosing their staff.

Why are they even mentioning Ralph? He's retired from making any decisions period. Russ Brandon is running the team now. End of story. LaCanfora is an idiot and apparently Didnt do his homework about Russ taking complete control.

Well, he is a national reporter. The rest of the league's fans may not be so in tune to the inner workings and changeover of the Bills. You're right, it's not news though.

Interesting that he's reporting the Bills and Whisenhut where that far along in their talks.

I heard Whaley and Brandon today who both said independently that they were laughing between them at a bunch of reports that were coming out about what they were doing and who they were talking to and interested in. It's quite possible that they were into some sort of negotiations with Whisenhunt. It's just as easy or easier to believe that Whisenhunt's representatives are putting that story out to help their client.

Well, he is a national reporter. The rest of the league's fans may not be so in tune to the inner workings and changeover of the Bills. You're right, it's not news though.

im just calling BS on the while thing. At 11pm Saturday night we heard they had interviewed Kelly, Wiz, And Horton and potentially Smith with a Sunday interview scheduled for Marrone. Sure as cancer we for the most part recieved confirmation that he was hired as the HC at approx 5am. ESPN had it scrolling across the screen in the AM. Yet they just said 6 hours earlier that the interview wasnt until Sunday. If they were in such deep talks with Wiz, when the hell did they interview Marrone?

It just tells me that ESPN had NO IDEA what we were doing at all. They were simply trying to pull stuff out of their asses just like when Mario was here for 3 days.

Just saying I don't believe any of it. Not until Wiz or the Bills admit to it which won't ever happen.

Interesting that he's reporting the Bills and Whisenhut where that far along in their talks.

I am not buying this.

im just calling BS on the while thing. At 11pm Saturday night we heard they had interviewed Kelly, Wiz, And Horton and potentially Smith with a Sunday interview scheduled for Marrone. Sure as cancer we for the most part recieved confirmation that he was hired as the HC at approx 5am. ESPN had it scrolling across the screen in the AM. Yet they just said 6 hours earlier that the interview wasnt until Sunday. If they were in such deep talks with Wiz, when the hell did they interview Marrone?

It just tells me that ESPN had NO IDEA what we were doing at all. They were simply trying to pull stuff out of their asses just like when Mario was here for 3 days.

Just saying I don't believe any of it. Not until Wiz or the Bills admit to it which won't ever happen.

Agreed. Marrone was actually first interviewed Saturday afternoon, the third interview the Bills had after Whisenhunt and I think Horton on Saturday morning. Then Kelly was Saturday night (unless it was Kelly in the morning and Horton Saturday night).

Agreed. Marrone was actually first interviewed Saturday afternoon, the third interview the Bills had after Whisenhunt and I think Horton on Saturday morning. Then Kelly was Saturday night (unless it was Kelly in the morning and Horton Saturday night).

There is lot of (mis)information around the candidate interviews. Russ mentioned at the PC that they met Marrone five (5) times during the process. None of the news media have been able to correlate these 5 meetings.

I heard Whaley and Brandon today who both said independently that they were laughing between them at a bunch of reports that were coming out about what they were doing and who they were talking to and interested in. It's quite possible that they were into some sort of negotiations with Whisenhunt. It's just as easy or easier to believe that Whisenhunt's representatives are putting that story out to help their client.

Or Russ doens't want to let on that Marrone wasn't their first choice?

There is lot of (mis)information around the candidate interviews. Russ mentioned at the PC that they met Marrone five (5) times during the process. None of the news media have been able to correlate these 5 meetings.

What's funny, however, is that on GR today when asked that same question, Russ said "at least four." ;)

Or Russ doens't want to let on that Marrone wasn't their first choice?

Yeah. I don't at all think he was their first choice. I think Kelly was, and maybe even Whisenhunt ahead of him. I still think that they would have taken Kelly over Marrone, but that Marrone blew them away more than Whisenhunt did in the interviews.

Except that the timeline doesn't mesh with the number of times they said they had met with Marrone. Unless Brandon has instituted some new subterfuge gag order at OBD in less than a week, I found it odd that all speculation around the team was that Whiz was the top choice, and suddenly they reach a deal with Marrone overnight.

Very similar to how Gailey was hired three years ago, although I have a better feeling with Marrone than I did with Gailey. Too bad Gailey didn't have the Creative Artists Armada working for him.

Except that the timeline doesn't mesh with the number of times they said they had met with Marrone. Unless Brandon has instituted some new subterfuge gag order at OBD in less than a week, I found it odd that all speculation around the team was that Whiz was the top choice, and suddenly they reach a deal with Marrone overnight.

Very similar to how Gailey was hired three years ago, although I have a better feeling with Marrone than I did with Gailey. Too bad Gailey didn't have the Creative Artists Armada working for him.

Right. It really doesn't.

I think Brandon is great at his job. I don't really believe much of what he says in public, which is one of the few things I don't like about him.