Bills Media packet on Coach Marrone

The last story in there, the one from the Star-Ledger, is particularly interesting. It's from when Marrone took over the job at Syracuse.

Marrone's new job as the coach of Syracuse is certainly a tough task but one he is diving into headfirst. Erasing the tumultuous and disastrous four-year tenure of Robinson won't come with a few Big East wins or even one good season.

When a program like Syracuse goes from nine bowl game appearances under the previous regime of Paul Pasqualoni to only 10 wins in four years under Robinson, it leaves deep scars. Marrone, a former Orange offensive lineman who spent the past six years in the NFL -- first as an offensive line coach with the Jets and most recently as the New Orleans Saints' offensive coordinator -- comes back with an impressive pedigree.

Then again, his predecessor's pedigree was just as impressive. But that's where the similarities end.

"When people take over a program, the first thing you have to do is ask yourself the question: 'Why were they not successful?'" he said. "The first thing that we had to do in December was to go out and recruit. It's a little bit easier for me that I've always wanted this job, so I've been able to do a lot of research on the school and the demographics of where we've gotten kids before that enabled us to be successful."

Recruiting, though, is only a small part of the equation. In four years, Syracuse has seen its football reputation sullied, as it's become the doormat of the Big East Conference with two 10-loss seasons. Changing that in the minds of fans, recruits and players won't happen immediately. It has to be built from the ground up.

"The administration and the people have to be patient with him," said Pittsburgh coach Dave Wannstedt, a fellow Big East coach at his alma mater. "It's going to take time. You cannot turn things around as fast as you could in the past. It takes more time nowadays to build a program. The No. 1 thing they have to do with Doug, is be patient with him and give him a chance."