Running Q.B.s

Another factor is that some players protect themselves better than others.

RGIII was completely reckless on the play where he wrecked his knee. He ran with a total disdain for his own safety.

Michael Vick is the same way.

Russell Wilson seems to be much wiser about protecting himself.

I don't really understand why some of these guys can't grasp the concept that if they get injured that they're hurting their team.

It seems so simple.

you dont get he feeling that Wilson is at that much risk of getting injured. Flutie rarely got injured. The great Tark was rarely hurt.

I compare Wilson to those 2...he has a funny throwing motion..about the same arm strength as tark..and better accuracy than Flutie.

you dont get he feeling that Wilson is at that much risk of getting injured. Flutie rarely got injured. The great Tark was rarely hurt.

I compare Wilson to those 2...he has a funny throwing motion..about the same arm strength as tark..and better accuracy than Flutie.

Tark and Flutie.....Wow...Tark when they had little slow weaker lineman and backers. Flutie and his really short NFL career .Mark my words Wilson will get wacked. He will break down.

Tark and Flutie.....Wow...Tark when they had little slow weaker lineman and backers. Flutie and his really short NFL career .Mark my words Wilson will get wacked. He will break down.

yeah--when the NFL wasnt watered down as much you mean?? when the hitting was just as hard and less restricted??

Flutie was a good QB--he just never got ghis proper chance--and was an all time great in canada- I think Wilson will be better than him--and has the potential to be nearly as good as tark

Still want one? Takeout the legs and make them throw. I still think Wilson will get wacked sooner or later. When he does slow down ,we will find out how he does in the pocket, Give me the Mannings and Bradys. Oldschool I am.

I was actually going to start a similar post.

I like watching the read option and running QBs but the abuse they will take will make the careers short lived like RBs. Which still would be fine except that QBs aren't a dime a dozen and having a franchise QB last 6-8 years isn't a good option when we haven't had one since Jimbo.

Time to go full court press on Flacco and draft some one in the next few years to take over. Hopefully he doesn't do great next week and keeps his cost down.

Teams might also carry four or five mobile QBs a few years from now...

sure Jemarcus Webb looked awesome yesterday, there is more to QBing than running the football.

I look for Shanahan next year to start turning RG3 into a pocket passer. Seems to be the natural progression of running QBs. They come in and think they are gong to change the game of football and run and pass. Works for a little while until they get whacked and injured. Then they decide, you know, I think I'll become a pocket passer.

Others I have seen follow this progression: Randal Cunningham, Donovan McNabb, and Steve McNair. The only one who hasn't is Michael Vick, and he's always injured.

Discussing this point with a buddy of mine today and that was essentially my point. The running, read option QB and offenses designed around them seem to be all the rage. They put up points and make highlights. But, look at the playoffs this year and in recent years... when the games get big defenses shut these offenses down and force these guys to pass. And more often than not, they fail. QBs need to pass first and run last, IMO.

Then you won't like our new coach he is a run heavy Offensive guy from what i have read, & is looking forward to our RB's ..

I look for Shanahan next year to start turning RG3 into a pocket passer. Seems to be the natural progression of running QBs. They come in and think they are gong to change the game of football and run and pass. Works for a little while until they get whacked and injured. Then they decide, you know, I think I'll become a pocket passer.

Others I have seen follow this progression: Randal Cunningham, Donovan McNabb, and Steve McNair. The only one who hasn't is Michael Vick, and he's always injured.

Steve Young as the non-black example.

Words are marked......Wilson hasn't got whacked much as he knows how to slide. From this rookie sample season I'd say he will not break down. Hes a smart qb.

And the more aware you are and the smarter a football player you are, the less you get hit.

Thus the exp<b></b>ression "taking needless punishment."

RGIII has to show that he has better decision making in this area than does Michael Vick.

I agree with you. I've seen RGIII countless times this year take a harder hit than necessary b/c he's trying to get an extra 5 yards after he already gained 20! At that point, if you're RGIII, you just need to let it go and slide sooner.

There was a play in yesterday's game where RGIII was running to the sideline and instead of going out of bounds he cut it up the sideline for an extra 2 yards and got flipped like a ragdoll.

I absolutely love RGIII but he needs to be wiser.

Nothing wrong with a mobile QB who can run when he has to. That's far different than a running QB.

The biggest reason Wilson has improved so much since the start of the year is that he has decided to make his living as a pocket passer. Sure, he takes off when he has to and even by the design of the playcall at times, but for the most part, he sits in that pocket with his eyes down field and he's making plays from there. I haven't seen one bad decision out of him the last 6 games I've seen him play. A complete 180 from the beginning of the year.

All because he's a pocket passer.

GO BILLS!!!