Running Q.B.s

Still want one? Takeout the legs and make them throw. I still think Wilson will get wacked sooner or later. When he does slow down ,we will find out how he does in the pocket, Give me the Mannings and Bradys. Oldschool I am.

I tend to agree. Wilson seems to be a but less of a "runner" and more of an elusive mobile guy... But we will see...

I think as the league catches up to the read option and gains get smaller and hits bigger.... It'll be like the wildcat - a wrinkle once in a blue moon not frequent use.

Still want one? Takeout the legs and make them throw. I still think Wilson will get wacked sooner or later. When he does slow down ,we will find out how he does in the pocket, Give me the Mannings and Bradys. Oldschool I am.

LOL give me the Manning's and Brady's too. Good luck finding them though.

Another factor is that some players protect themselves better than others.

RGIII was completely reckless on the play where he wrecked his knee. He ran with a total disdain for his own safety.

Michael Vick is the same way.

Russell Wilson seems to be much wiser about protecting himself.

I don't really understand why some of these guys can't grasp the concept that if they get injured that they're hurting their team.

It seems so simple.

RGIII was completely reckless on the play where he wrecked his knee. He ran with a total disdain for his own safety.

I don't really understand why some of these guys can't grasp the concept that if they get injured that they're hurting their team.

It seems so simple.

The more you run...The more chance you have to get hit.

The more you run...The more chance you have to get hit.

And the more aware you are and the smarter a football player you are, the less you get hit.

Thus the expression "taking needless punishment."

RGIII has to show that he has better decision making in this area than does Michael Vick.

Teams might also carry four or five mobile QBs a few years from now...

Manning

Rodgers

Manning

Brees

Brady

Roethlisberger

These are the guys that have won the recent super bowls. Bees can be elusive, as well as Rodgers, but they are not your prototypical running QBs.

The gimmicky direction of the league is certainly headed towards running QBs. The winning direction is not.

It seems so simple.

Exactly.

Guys like Aaron Rodgers and Andrew Luck are mobile and extremely dangerous on the ground, but they are smart enough to get out of bounds or slide instead of fighting for yards.

I hope Griffin wisens up, because if he doesn't - he may jeopardize a promising future.

I tend to agree. Wilson seems to be a but less of a "runner" and more of an elusive mobile guy... But we will see...

I think as the league catches up to the read option and gains get smaller and hits bigger.... It'll be like the wildcat - a wrinkle once in a blue moon not frequent use.

I agree. Wilson runs to get out of trouble, but he is always looking to throw.

Manning

Rodgers

Manning

Brees

Brady

Roethlisberger

These are the guys that have won the recent super bowls. Bees can be elusive, as well as Rodgers, but they are not your prototypical running QBs.

The gimmicky direction of the league is certainly headed towards running QBs. The winning direction is not.

Discussing this point with a buddy of mine today and that was essentially my point. The running, read option QB and offenses designed around them seem to be all the rage. They put up points and make highlights. But, look at the playoffs this year and in recent years... when the games get big defenses shut these offenses down and force these guys to pass. And more often than not, they fail. QBs need to pass first and run last, IMO.

Discussing this point with a buddy of mine today and that was essentially my point. The running, read option QB and offenses designed around them seem to be all the rage. They put up points and make highlights. But, look at the playoffs this year and in recent years... when the games get big defenses shut these offenses down and force these guys to pass. And more often than not, they fail. QBs need to pass first and run last, IMO.

I`m down with that.

Offenses seem to take trendy directions until defenses figure them out and then things change again. Running oriented quarterbacks will be popular for some offenses for awhile, but eventually that will go out of favor.

There have always been pocket passers and these QBs have had the most success, so why change that? The best pocket guys have been those who can also use their legs to prolong a play or throw while rolling out or scrambling to pick up a first down at an opportune time.

The best these days is Rodgers. Luck is going to be real good for a long time. I would always prefer a passer who avoids contact as much as possible over someone who is intentionally placing himself in harm's way play after play. That's what receivers and running backs are meant to do.

The prototypical QB is Aaron Rodgers who has it all.

I agree

Pocket passer with ability to avoid the rush and run for first down

These running QBs are not going to holdup playing like this every week