Bills hire Doug Marrone to be Head Coach

sven233

Interesting reading if you haven't seen this. Like the attention to detail. Almost Belichick-ish...

http://www.dailyorange.com/2009/04/the-plan-doug-marrone-prepared-for-his-return-to-syracuse-with-a-detailed-strategy

(link from ESPN comments section of Walker's blog)

Good read! Interesting that they mention him being "hulking", he's definitely an NFL sized at 6'5" 270

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MarrDo20.htm

Can't wait to see what he brings to the Bills...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fact is no one knows if this is a good or bad hire. He may be an amazing coach who dragged a horrible minimally talented team at Syracuse

to become a good team.

We will see how this guy coaches next year. --Not so much strictly on W-L ...but on how we look,how games/time are managed etc etc.

While not excited he aint a retread.

Here's what I can report, from the last story I filed. Four people familiar with negotiations have confirmed to the AP that Marrone has agreed to a deal with the Bills. One person said, the details of the contract are still being finalized. A formal announcement is not expected until either later today, or tomorrow. ... One person has said Marrone has already informed SU officials that he's leaving for an NFL job.

Marrone was identified as the team's leading candidate last night.

The Bills' scheduled interview with Mike McCoy in Denver was postponed by McCoy.

jw

I don't disagree with your point, but when Kelly took over as HC, the Ducks were several years removed from being a top 10 NCAA team. In Bellotti's last few years, they finished in or near the middle of the PAC 12 and went to non-BCS bowl games. Kelly clearly took the program to a new level, without substantially upping the quality of the recruits being brought in. That being said, Kelly was taking over much different program than Marrone and there's no telling how well he would have done at SU.

This is incorrect though. Kelly took over Ducks' HC in 2009 and Oregon was #10 in the 2008 final ranking.

Here's what I can report, from the last story I filed. Four people familiar with negotiations have confirmed to the AP that Marrone has agreed to a deal with the Bills. One person said, the details of the contract are still being finalized. A formal announcement is not expected until either later today, or tomorrow. ... One person has said Marrone has already informed SU officials that he's leaving for an NFL job.

The Bills' scheduled interview with Mike McCoy in Denver was postponed by McCoy.

jw

Thanks very much for the update jw!

Looking forward to seeing Marrone's staff.

So, in your opinion hiring Marrone expands the Bills base (sells more tickets) than bringing in Smith or another experienced NFL head coach. Interesting perspective. I guess you have a lower opinion of the intelligence of your average football fan than I do.

IMO Russ Brandon certainly keeps expanding a base, inventory as he so gracefully puts it, hot dogs, anything. He sells off home games for the almighty buck. That's what his background is. I made zero assertions to the intelligence of football fans.I do know that if Smith was hired not many Bears fans would be rooting for Buffalo though. My point on Marrone was a Syracuse hire being on the geographical fringe of the bills fanbase certainly isn't going to hurt ticket sales.Was it the reason they hired him? No. Did it cross Brandons mind? I have a hard time believing any decision isn't related to $$$$$ from Russ Brandon.I also think he was a miserable failure as a GM, but now all of a sudden because of a 5 minute video on New Years day he a visionary? I need to see more, I'm skeptical. BTW I'm on board with the hire, because IMO anyone is better than the unemployed 2012 staff. but would have preferred McCoy.

I have a hard time believing any decision isn't related to $$$$$ from Russ Brandon

It's amazing how intimately you know him. What are his thought on sandals with socks? Have you ever considered that your 'feelings' may just be gas?

Edited by jeremy2020

Greggo did not have guys like Payton, the Tuna and other high profile NFL guys tooting his airhorn...

Thats all over the place. Maybe this will ground the washed up Tuna's opinion.

The chin personally vouched for Chan gailey. How did that turn out?

It's amazing how intimately you know him. What are his thought on sandals with socks? Have you ever considered that your 'feelings' may just be gas?

Not going to tango with you big guy, because you know it all. And I'm on thin ice.

IMO Russ Brandon certainly keeps expanding a base, inventory as he so gracefully puts it, hot dogs, anything. He sells off home games for the almighty buck. That's what his background is. I made zero assertions to the intelligence of football fans.I do know that if Smith was hired not many Bears fans would be rooting for Buffalo though. My point on Marrone was a Syracuse hire being on the geographical fringe of the bills fanbase certainly isn't going to hurt ticket sales.Was it the reason they hired him? No. Did it cross Brandons mind? I have a hard time believing any decision isn't related to $$$$$ from Russ Brandon.I also think he was a miserable failure as a GM, but now all of a sudden because of a 5 minute video on New Years day he a visionary? I need to see more, I'm skeptical. BTW I'm on board with the hire, because IMO anyone is better than the unemployed 2012 staff. but would have preferred McCoy.

GREAT post!!! Seriously. If they draft Nassib, they will have expanded a fan base that much more. And btw, THESE MIGHT BE CORRECT MOVES!!!

I am not saying that hiring Marrone ws a bad decision. I don't know enough about him to do so, and time will certainly tell.

But I think to dismiss the possibility that Brandon, who is not a football man, made this decision (or so it would seem) without profit in mind is short sighted.

I don't know what to make of the hire. I am really glad they went with some fresh blood and not a tired retread. Jauron and Gailey were the type of retreads that the Bills were going to get so I think they needed to take a chance. Next step resign Byrd and Levitre (OR us the franchise tag to at least retain one of them) and get a good coordinators and coaching staff to help Marrone.

Its easy to hate the hire but I am willing to actually let this one play out before I hate it, as I like the philosophy that went behind it. Its good to see fresh blood, so sick of the second tier retreads.

Edited by billsfan89

Alright I have gone through this entire thread and am now ready to comment.

Doug Marrone is one of the candidates I knew very little about. He's not an exciting hire, but he is a fresh face and appears to be nothing like Jauron or Gailey.

I understand why there is negativity from some fans here, but there would have been negativity if we had hired Lovie Smith or Chip Kelly.

I'm glad that the Bills took care of this coaching search as fast as they did.

What I am most interested in is what kind of coaching staff will Marrone bring in with him.

Like I said, he is not the most exciting choice, but I am willing to see what he can bring to the Bills.

I just don't get that on one hand 'Cuse fans are pissed that he is leaving, yet think he will fail miserably with Buffalo?. They give him mad props for turning their program around and getting them close to a perennial top 25 team. i mean either he is a good coach or not. He was good for SU, good for the Saints...maybe he's the first coach who can do a PowerPoint presentation or knows Excel...so Russ was impressed.

jw

Thanks, John

I bet McCoy is regretting the decision to postpone the Bills. Lovie, Whiz and the defensive coordinator were same old same old 34 tampa 2 guys, Chip wanted too much control. I think McCoy or Marrone would have been hired. McCoy hesitated and lost out. I am happy we got someone who can assemble a staff now.