DVD player help

My SONY dvd player has stopped playing my DVDs. I can hear it spinning like crazy when I first put my DVD in the player. After about 20 seconds it displays a message that it can play my DVD. I Tried several Disks that worked in the past... they all are unplayable.

The manual was know help... (shocker!)

I'm thinking that I'll have to replace it. I figure it will take too long to repair and they are cheaper then cheap now. But I thought I'd send some feelers out to the wise people of TBD for some advice. :blink:

My SONY dvd player has stopped playing my DVDs.  I can hear it spinning like crazy when I first put my DVD in the player.  After about 20 seconds it displays a message that it can play my DVD.  I Tried several Disks that worked in the past... they all are unplayable.

I'm thinking that I'll have to replace it.  I figure it will take too long to repair and they are cheaper then cheap now.  But I thought I'd send some feelers out to the wise people of TBD for some advice.  :blink:

194766[/snapback]

Have you cleaned it?

My SONY dvd player has stopped playing my DVDs.  I can hear it spinning like crazy when I first put my DVD in the player.  After about 20 seconds it displays a message that it can play my DVD.  I Tried several Disks that worked in the past... they all are unplayable.

I'm thinking that I'll have to replace it.  I figure it will take too long to repair and they are cheaper then cheap now.  But I thought I'd send some feelers out to the wise people of TBD for some advice.  :blink:

194766[/snapback]

When that happened to mine some years ago they said it was the laser reader or some such thing. Go buy a new one. They're $30 anymore.

if you're looking at a new player, check out the Phillips DVP-642

you can only get it locally at Target in Rochester (I'd check the Victor Target since the Henrietta Target was raided by the RIT kids and there isn't a single player left)and it costs 69.99

the player plays EVERYTHING i've thrown at it...divx, xvid, svcd, burned DVD+/-R

not a bad investment, especially if you have a fast internet connection

$30 anymore?  :blink:

194775[/snapback]

Another one of those grammatically incorrect sayings that gets on my nerves.

LA...shame on you!

As for the question, if the cleaning solution doesn't work, and you find yourself in the market for a new one, look for one with 1.5X speed playback. I think JVC's and Pioneers have it. My brother-in-law has that feature on his, and it's a neat way to make the young kids' movie time go considerably shorter without them noticing...much. We'll be looking for one when we can find an excuse to....

Another one of those grammatically incorrect sayings that gets on my nerves.

LA...shame on you!

194778[/snapback]

That's right, SHAME on you LA.......... maybe you should spend less time chasing around the Drew bashers and more time in English class.......so THERE!! :blink:

That's right, SHAME on you LA..........  maybe you should spend less time chasing around the Drew bashers and more time in English class.......so THERE!!  ;)

194797[/snapback]

Yes, he said it folks: yet another thing that's Drew's fault. And we were doing so well in this thread.... :blink:

Yes, he said it folks: yet another thing that's Drew's fault.  And we were doing so well in this thread....  :blink:

194810[/snapback]

No way man, that doesn't count.......I didn't direct bash Drew in my statement. ;)

My wife and I just bought one at Best Buy for $35 - a $10 mail-in rebate.

It's not fancy, but it does everything we need for our upstairs TV. It plays DVDs, DVD-Rs, CDs, CDRs and VCDs. It has component and s-video out, along with standard RCA.

If it breaks in a year and a half, who cares? We'll buy another one for $25.

194766[/snapback]

if you're looking at a new player, check out the Phillips DVP-642

you can only get it locally at Target in Rochester (I'd check the Victor Target since the Henrietta Target was raided by the RIT kids and there isn't a single player left)and it costs 69.99

the player plays EVERYTHING i've thrown at it...divx, xvid, svcd, burned DVD+/-R

not a bad investment, especially if you have a fast internet connection

194773[/snapback]

I bought one of these and although it does play all kinds of formats it skipped on one or two of my burned dvd's. The most compatible player that I've found is a $35 Memorex player at Sears. Has been on sale for as low as $25. I've bought one for several relatives and then bought one for myself. I have yet to have a burned dvd disc not play in this sucker. One caveat: It has coax digital out instead of toslink. Not a problem for me as my receiver can handle either.

When that happened to mine some years ago they said it was the laser reader or some such thing. Go buy a new one. They're $30 anymore.

194771[/snapback]

Geez LA, I figured in your profession you'd recommend a better DVD player than that. Sheesh... Yeah, you CAN get one for $30, but it will suck (compared to the better ones). :blink:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?forumid=18

CW

Geez LA, I figured in your profession you'd recommend a better DVD player than that.  Sheesh...  Yeah, you CAN get one for $30, but it will suck (compared to the better ones). :blink:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?forumid=18

CW

194882[/snapback]

Yeah, I probably could, but few people want to spend $250 for a DVD player that does Hi-Def conversion and offers 6.1 surround sound.

My wife and I just bought one at Best Buy for $35 - a $10 mail-in rebate.

It's not fancy, but it does everything we need for our upstairs TV. It plays DVDs, DVD-Rs, CDs, CDRs and VCDs. It has component and s-video out, along with standard RCA.

If it breaks in a year and a half, who cares? We'll buy another one for $25.

194869[/snapback]

Did they try to sell you an extended warranty that cost more than the player itself? :blink:

Did they try to sell you an extended warranty that cost more than the player itself? :blink:

194889[/snapback]

Speaking of which, I had a cashier try selling me an extended warranty on a DVD. Not a player, but an actual movie. $5 warrenty for a $15 movie. Gotta love it.

CW

Yeah, I probably could, but few people want to spend $250 for a DVD player that does Hi-Def conversion and offers 6.1 surround sound.

194888[/snapback]

Hey LA, have you ever heard of the Denon 2900?

Hey LA, have you ever heard of the Denon 2900?

194895[/snapback]

I'm not familiar with that particular model, but a quick search triggers your point. Funny thing is, they make players for $1500...and they do sell. At that point, you're not even a videophile. You're a showoff. :blink:

I'm not familiar with that particular model, but a quick search triggers your point. Funny thing is, they make players for $1500...and they do sell. At that point, you're not even a videophile. You're a showoff. :blink:

194930[/snapback]

lol......well, they are universal players......they do SACD and DVD-A in addition to the video.......they are niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice ;)