Obama's Cash For Clunkers Program Bad For The Environment

3rdnlng

http://wal-martt.blogspot.com/2013/01/cash-for-clunkers-hurt-environment.html

"Cash for Clunkers hurt environment, Back in 2009, President Obama’s “Cash for Clunkers” program was supposed to be a boon for the environment and the economy. During a limited time, consumers could trade in an old gas-guzzling used car for up to $4,500 cash back towards the purchase of a fuel-efficient new car. It seemed like a win for everyone: the environment, the gasping auto industry and cash-strapped consumers.

Though almost a million people poured into car dealerships eager to exchange their old jalopies for something shiny and new, recent reports indicate the entire program may have actually hurt the environment far more than it helped. According to E Magazine, the “Clunkers” program, which is officially known as the Car Allowance Rebates System (CARS), produced tons of unnecessary waste while doing little to curb greenhouse gas emissions......news.yahoo.

The program's first mistake seems to have been its focus on car shredding, instead of car recycling. With 690,000 vehicles traded in, that's a pretty big mistake.

According to the Automotive Recyclers Association (ARA), automobiles are almost completely recyclable, down to their engine oil and brake fluid. But many of the “Cash for Clunkers” cars were never sent to recycling facilities. The agency reports that the cars’ engines were instead destroyed by federal mandate, in order to prevent dealers from illicitly reselling the vehicles later."

Edited by 3rdnlng

Isn't this old news?... I totally agee that it was a terible program on so many fronts. I said it then, I guess I will say it again: Drive your old clunker and fix it up! Better for the environment then getting a new one. We are so wasteful in this country!

My car's 13.5 years old - I'm doing my part! :D

You think "clunker" and you picture a 30 year old rustbucket with two cylinders not firing. The TRUTH is, most cars turned in under the program were not even halfway into their life cycle. Cars maybe ten years old or so with plenty of service life left. The images of perfectly good cars being destroyed, as mandated under the program, was an infamnia.

You think "clunker" and you picture a 30 year old rustbucket with two cylinders not firing. The TRUTH is, most cars turned in under the program were not even halfway into their life cycle. Cars maybe ten years old or so with plenty of service life left. The images of perfectly good cars being destroyed, as mandated under the program, was an infamnia.

Yeah... What you say! So true!

It all comes back to 3.5! People want new every 3.5 years... Probably upside down with their car note too! :wallbash:

Anway... Can't they ship them overseas? My brother is a truck driver (vehicle carrier, based in BFLO)... He makes runs up to Canada and other places... Brings back old cars, trucks, SUV's, vans, etc... To ports like Baltimore... There the vehicles get loaded and off to Africa! Yep Africa! So next time you see African unrest on the news... Just think, somebody is driving around with an AK-47 out the sunroof of your old Toyota Highlander while wearing the Buffalo Bills "4Peat" championship shirt and matching sweats!

http://wal-martt.blo...nvironment.html

"Cash for Clunkers hurt environment, Back in 2009, President Obama’s “Cash for Clunkers” program was supposed to be a boon for the environment and the economy. During a limited time, consumers could trade in an old gas-guzzling used car for up to $4,500 cash back towards the purchase of a fuel-efficient new car. It seemed like a win for everyone: the environment, the gasping auto industry and cash-strapped consumers.

Though almost a million people poured into car dealerships eager to exchange their old jalopies for something shiny and new, recent reports indicate the entire program may have actually hurt the environment far more than it helped. According to E Magazine, the “Clunkers” program, which is officially known as the Car Allowance Rebates System (CARS), produced tons of unnecessary waste while doing little to curb greenhouse gas emissions......news.yahoo.

The program's first mistake seems to have been its focus on car shredding, instead of car recycling. With 690,000 vehicles traded in, that's a pretty big mistake.

According to the Automotive Recyclers Association (ARA), automobiles are almost completely recyclable, down to their engine oil and brake fluid. But many of the “Cash for Clunkers” cars were never sent to recycling facilities. The agency reports that the cars’ engines were instead destroyed by federal mandate, in order to prevent dealers from illicitly reselling the vehicles later."

The bolded and underlined point above is about the extent to which I care about "Cash for Clunkers."

The bolded and underlined point above is about the extent to which I care about "Cash for Clunkers."

Of course you don't get it. Because it is all about hustling you motherf@#$ers! Why do you think Bel, Bivens and Devoe have lunch with Seth Klarman and Howard Marks? My special lady Sprinkles and I just closed the biggest deal of our young lives, dressed in entirely in Eddie Bauer spring collection, cruising down the Beltway in an '02 Acura TL (fully paid off) sipping champagne.

Chilis. Dive bar. Easy mac. Jerking off in your favorite tube sock.

I was at the bar shake shakin' takin' 'em off

And that night I played the wall

Checkin' out the fellas the highs the lows

Keepin' one eye open still clockin' 'em

Still one particular girl that stood out from the rest

Poison as can be how how is she

Michael me and see and I'm runnin' the show

Bell Biv DeVoe ha-ha ha-ha

Now you know you're Slick blow

Peace.

More GREEN news;

Fracking Safe in NY State, Says Leaked Report.

“Thanks to a leak from an anonymous insider, we learned Thursday that a report commissioned by the State of New York has given fracking a clean bill of health. The insider ‘did not think it should be kept secret’ and released the document, which is now nearly one year old, to the New York Times.”

Remember when the authorities used to cover up dangers? Now they’re covering up news that fracking is safe, because that harms their political agenda.

Still: “This is very good news. Contrary to green fears that fracking is a mortal danger to both humans and the environment, this report finds exactly the opposite, arguing that fracking “can be done safely within the regulatory system that the state has been developing for several years.” With the environmental concerns largely settled, the ground is now set for New York to claim its share of the energy revolution and the jobs and industry that come with it.”

Except that the Greens are still complaining. They’re science-deniers. It’s a Green War On Science!

They should re-name that article to:

"Hey, come read aout someting obvious and stupid"

So the premise was to get rid of gas guzzlers that were already manufactured, carbon footpring already stamped, and replace them with another carbon blueprint far before the useful life of the orginal vehicle was over?

From an Green perspective, it would make better sense to give someone a tax deduction for every year they keep their car.. incent people too keep their cars as long as mechanically possible... but I am sure the labor unions would find issue wih that... lol

From an Green perspective, it would make better sense to give someone a tax deduction for every year they keep their car.. incent people too keep their cars as long as mechanically possible... but I am sure the labor unions would find issue wih that... lol

I can get behind that. Would it be a set amount, or increase each year based on the age of the vehicle?

I can get behind that. Would it be a set amount, or increase each year based on the age of the vehicle?

I don't know, in a way I don't think the Government needs any more tools to manipulate us or the car market...

that being said.... with the Government insistent in pushing Green Tech...

Maybe let people put away repair money much like a HSA... Maybe its starts small, like a few hundred bucks but increases as the car depreciates... if you keep the car till zero value and you have money, maybe you can cash it out to do what you want with it, or put it into the purchase of the next car. Maybe couple it with a capped dectible tax amount- Heck, car dealers woudl make a killing on the service with that much demand, if they were willign to compete with the smaller garages...

While I think hybrids and elelctric cars are pretty cool, they are overall not that Environmentally freindly once you take into account manufacturing, procesing and buidlinf the batteries, shipping them, disposal or recycling..

So in your mind the best way to get the economy going is bribery?

No...

The best way to get the economy going is to substitute one year of truncated demand for four years of real demand.

Or something else equally stupid.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker